There was once a time when Macs
were pretty well regarded for their games, and Crystal Quest
was their Tetris
— engrossing, addictive, and impossible to beat
You used the mouse to control a little spaceship that looked like a hockey puck, collecting all the crystals
in each screen-sized level. Once you had all the crystals, a gate at the bottom of the screen would open up, permitting you to escape into... a slightly harder version of the level you just played, with more types of enemies, more Space Mines
to dodge, and more crystals you'd have to pick up. This masochistic treadmill of impending doom made the jump to several platforms, including the Game Boy
, and Xbox LIVE Arcade
A sequel, Crystal Crazy
, introduced more convoluted objectives such as assembling jigsaw puzzles and sinking pool balls in order. Some considered it a quantum leap over its predecessor, but it never won enough popularity
to be ported beyond the Mac.
Tropes found in Crystal Quest:
- Anti-Grinding — From the official tips page:
No more nasties come out if you stop collecting crystals, so don't try hunting.
- Attract Mode
- Blob Monster — The Dumple.
- Bowdlerised — The original level completion fanfare, a woman making a suggestive gasping sound, was not carried over to the Xbox remake.
- Cartoon Bomb — Smart bombs.
- Collision Damage / Everything Trying to Kill You / One-Hit-Point Wonder — Touch anything not collectible, and you're dead.
- Cool Gate — The exit.
- Deadly Walls — The sides of the exit.
- Destroyable Items — Bonus Crystals.
- Every 10,000 Points — Extra lives are awarded "at depressingly rarer intervals."
- Five Bullets At A Time
- Frickin' Laser Beams — Menaces employ "laser beams" that extend and retract like measuring tape.
- Gotta Catch Them All — Each level's crystals.
- Harder Than Hard — Hold down Option to disable speed limiting and play as fast as your CPU can throw pixels at you. High scores achieved in "super-fast mode" will appear in italics.
- Killer App — It was the first game on the market to use the Mac II's capacity for color graphics.
- Level Editor — The bundled Critter Editor.
- Made of Explodium — The Shrapwarden.
Quite sweet little things these. Unless you shoot them...
- Made of Indestructium — The Bane's "bouncing bombs". The constantly spammed bouncing bombs that will fill your screen within seconds. Prepare to weep.
- Monster Compendium — The Crystal Quest Repertoire of Nasties.
- Mook Maker — There's one on either side of the screen.
- More Dakka — Zarklephasers "emit bullets like a hail storm".
- Portmanteau — Various creature names, such as the Tentawarble, Shipnapper, Rawpuscle, and Shrapwarden.
- Score Screen
- Silliness Switch — The included Game Mod example, "Totally Silly", in which your ship is a baby's head and your foes include dung-shooting elephants.
- Smart Bomb — The instructions liken it to "using an anti-aircraft gun to kill a mosquito."
- Spiritual Successor — X Quest.
- Status Line
- Super-Persistent Predator — The inaptly named Parasite will pursue you relentlessly only to kill you with a single touch.
- Symbol Swearing — The game refers to Zarklephasers as "little #!£$%s".
Tropes specific to Crystal Crazy: