The first game's title screen.
A platformer game for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System
and Sega Genesis
(later ported to the Game Boy Advance
), created by Iguana Entertainment and published by Sunsoft (who adopted the character as mascot for a while). The title character is an acrobatic bat who works in a circus and has to defend it from an evil clown. The franchise spawned two games and a Spin-Off
focusing on one of the antagonists, Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel.
- Band Land: Disco Fever in the second game.
- Bigger Bad: In the Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel spin-off, the Big Bad is an evil lumberjack, but after beating him, you have to fight Edgar Ektor, who is the Big Bad of the whole series.
- Brought to You by the Letter "S": Aero has an A (with little bat wings) plastered on his chest.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Edgar Ektor's reason for being evil in the Game Boy Advance remake of the first game: the circus kicked him out (for hurting the animals no less!), so of course the appropriate response is to kidnap everyone in the circus years later.
- Double Jump: His second jump is a diagonal spin attack.
- Excuse Plot: The Zero spin-off, in which you must stop aformentioned evil lumberjack from destroying Zero's forest to print counterfeit money.
- Human Cannonball: The titular character on several occasions launches themselves out of a cannon to get somewhere, but it's the air powered circus type complete with 'FWHOOMP!' sound effect.
- I Fell for Hours: One of the bonus stages is an incredibly long dive into a pool.
- Idle Animation: In the first game, Aero bobs his head to the music or does a handstand when idle.
- Mascot with Attitude: Far less blatant than most; for one, Aero didn't get any "hip" dialogue.
- Nintendo Hard: Very much so in the first game, but there's very little Fake Difficulty. It really makes you work for it.
- Punny Name
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World: Boardin' Zone in the second game. Interestingly, he's on a snowboard for the whole thing.
- Spikes Of Doom: Spikes instantly kill Aero, while enemies hits remove one of his health icons.
- Spin-Off: Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel, an enemy from the first game, got his own game.
- Temporary Platform: In the first level, you need to find seven star platforms. You need to jump on them and make them disappear before you finish the level.
- Timed Mission: There's a countdown clock, but no penalty beyond missing a time bonus.
- Video Game Flight: When you collect a certain powerup, you get to hover in place or fly in any direction for a few seconds. Without it, he can only perform the diagonal spin for an attack.
- Villain Episode / Villain Protagonist: Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel in his own spinoff game.