Welcome. You have entered the Danger Zone
...just kidding, welcome to my Troper Page.
I'm Wax, a 20-something years-old (just so I don't have to edit this again, found out I let "23" when nearing my 25th birthday) French troper, theorytard and occasional writer.
I like fighting games
, but also strategy and card games (Magic: The Gathering
for example). I love creating original characters, though I am prone to expy-ing
before I get to use (often massive
) Divergent Character Evolution
. I'm sometimes a real motor-brain
when it comes to useless things like creating move lists for Original characters in roleplays
. I'm weird like that.
- All the entries for my non-published works below.
open/close all folders
- The Shield: My favourite of the three being Dean Ambrose. It's funny how my 2 brothers prefer Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns.
- The New Age Outlaws
- The Nexus: I liked the stable's idea, though it didn't stay for too long.
- ThreeMB: Were I the sole audience, these guys would've been faces. These guys were fun.
- Advance Wars: Played the four games.
- Final Fantasy IX: The previous ones never caught my eyes, and the later ones are just not quite as good in my opinion.
- Arcana Heart
- BlazBlue: Doesn't apply to Chronophantasma which I could as well call a Jumping the Shark moment.
- Guilty Gear: What made me stumble into BlazBlue, and also an old classic since I've played the first game.
- Kantai Collection: So. Many. Characters... Must know!
- King of Fighters: I can't believe it took so long to finally get into a fighting game that is practically perfect for me.
- Street Fighter IV: The game that actually made me acknowledge the Street Fighter series. Yes, I waited that long.
- Tekken: Fan since aged 6. Tekken 2 was my first fighting game experience.
- Touhou: I played the fighting games: Immaterial and Missing Power,Scarlet Weather Rhapsody and Unthinkable Natural Law. Otherwise, I made a fanfic from it and mai waifu is there.
Tropes that I think apply to me:
- Asexual: Most often, unless I have a crush going on.
- Attention Deficit Creator Disorder: So far, I have a grand total of zero completed fics...
- Berserk Button: Hypocrisy. Particularly when it's about me pulling back verbal acid or my brother's own contradictions.
- Blessed with Suck: I have much much imagination, but since it's so elusive, I can't write one fiction properly since I tend to move on to the next one...
- Can't Live with Them, Can't Live without Them: My brother. When we're together, we're the "Badass Bros."; when we're not, we're enemies like there's no tomorrow.
- Troper Alignment: Chaotic Neutral. Can't label myself as good and I have this intense hatred for administration.
- Child Hater: I just can't stand a Bratty Half-Pint.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: I'm usually doing things of my own devices, so I don't pay much attention to some stuff. And screw Attention Whores.
- Complexity Addiction
- Deadpan Snarker: I have a tendency to point only the flaws of anything I judge. This trope is when my snarking hasn't gotten too acid.
- Does Not Like People: Working myself out of that.
- Everything's Worse with Bears, Everythings Worse With Sharks: Those are two of my favourite animals. Maybe it was a sign.
- Evil Counterpart: I've been called the "bad twin" more than once, especially during adolescence.
- Food Tropes
- French Jerk: Not quite to the strictest meaning of the trope, but each separate term fits.
- G.I.R.L.: The risk with me roleplaying many female characters. I try to warn as much persons as possible, and roleplay as male ones too, much more so recently.
- Giving Up On Logic: Happens sometimes when I snap.
- Grammar Nazi: If you want me to read your fan-fiction, beware! I tend to remember the instant misspelling narmages more than the good points of whatever I read.
- Gratuitous Japanese: Sometimes I come to talk to myself with Japanese Stock Phrases. I also like Japanese Pronouns and Japanese Honorifics. Most of my characters are named in Japanese, with sometimes horrible results.
- Guilty Pleasure: About my snarky impulses, sometimes.
- Heavy Sleeper: If left unchecked, I sleep more than 12 hours a day.
- Hikikomori: I can look like this since I spend much of my time on computers.
- I Have Many Names: I have gone by many different nicknames in early to late adolescence.
I have gone by the nicknames Squal (not "Squall"), Brains (when I was young and thought I was a beast at English) at age about 11, then Krieg at age 13, then I have gone on the Internet as Wax starting at age 14, Dorima starting at age 15, and more recently Musou when I started getting into Touhou at 19. I had a brief transition at age 22 where I was nicknamed "Goodbye Musou". Since then I've gone as RED, Poisonshark, (Acid) Maou, or just "the MM".
- Here I am only Wax because it's the most consistently picked nickname for me, and it's also the sole nickname that has been picked at several separate periods.
- Ineffectual Loner: Mostly.
- Jerkass: To a degree, much less now that I dropped the Jerkass Façade.
- Laughter Tropes: Most people get the taste of Ha Ha Ha No. I'm better not showing my Dissonant Laughter anyway. Sometimes I border on Evil Laugh.
- Mad Dreamer
- Mood Whiplash: Depression, uncare, frustration and generic jerkassery was the usual. Lately I've been much less unstable.
- Motor Mouth: I'm slow as hell to get speaking, but when I do...
- Ninja Editor: On my own posts. Also on others' posts more rarely, when I decide it.
- Not Good with People
- Real Men Wear Pink: An old odd fashion taste of mine: I wrapped vests around my waist but those made me look like I wore a skirt.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: To my brother, in different aspects and with differing positions.
- Saw Star Wars 27 Times: On several things I won't even bother to quote. The most stunning one is watching Gundam Wing episodes number 1 and 24 at least hundreds of time each separately from the series as a whole.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside
- “Stop Having Fun” Guys / Scrub: Oscillating depending on the moment.
- Straight Edge: I do believe I am some bit of it. I avoid alcohol drinks at any moment that isn't Christmas or my birthday, mostly because I don't like the taste.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky: Forget the tall part. Or invert it, I stand at a small 170 cm.
- The Teetotaler
- Token Evil Teammate: I tended to be considered this.
- Tsundere: Even though I'm a guy, I'm a possible candidate. I'm a loner and a bit of an ass when I'm at it. But love hits me like I'm a Smitten Teenage Girl.
- The Unfunny: Mostly having No Sense of Humor, but I'm walking out of this.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: My English accent is far off my French accent. Only English teachers or English-speaking people can get what I mean, and even then...
- Yuri Fan: Far from obvious at first glance.
Tropes that I like:
- Be Yourself
- Boss Subtitles
- Break the Haughty: As much as I love jerkasses, I love also when some of them get due comeuppance.
- Character Alignment
- Creepy Good
- Crowning Music of Awesome: I am somewhat addicted to them.
- Divergent Character Evolution
- Enemy Mine
- Face Heel Revolving Door
- Faith Heel Turn: And Heel-Faith Turn too, though a bit less since I'm not too fond of religion.
- Fun with Acronyms
- Jerkass: Being fond of Jin "God of Assholes" Kisaragi it's "normal" I try to have characters that behave like this. However, this type of characters has fallen out of flavor for me now, having done so much of them.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Restricted to some characters fitting the above trope. If all jerks had a heart of gold, I would get predictable.
- He Who Fights Monsters
- Heel-Face Return: I just love those moments. It's easy for me to label a Heel-Face Return as a Crowning Moment of Awesome.
- Heel Race Turn: Same thing as above.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Because SOBs tend to kick each other.
- Kubrick Stare
- The Lancer: All too often, I prefer The Lancer to The Hero.
- Martial Pacifist
- Meaningful Name: Love playing with this trope. Usually straight.
- More Than Mind Control
- Ominous Latin Chanting
- The Paragon Always Rebels: The alignment-flipped variety, when the bad side's paragon turns coat.
- The Power of Rock
- Precision F-Strike
- Protagonist Journey to Villain: Mostly what moved me out of the Jerkass-liking territory is several tragedies of the sort.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!
- Sanity Meter: Especially nigh-empty ones.
- SNK Boss: Not that I like to beat them, I have only Justice (Guilty Gear), Jinpachi and Azazel (Tekken) on my list of beaten SNK Bosses.
- Symbiotic Possession
- Then Let Me Be Evil
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!
- The Unfettered
- Unnecessary Roughness
- Who's Laughing Now?
- Wild Card
Tropes that I dislike / hate / loathe / even more. In other words, pet peeves:
- Actual Pacifist
- Apologises a Lot: An easy way to annoy me. I don't apologize (or voluntarily botch them up) and don't ask for apologies.
- Character Check
- Character Derailment
- Character Filibuster
- Chickification: Since I just love Action Girls, I consider this nigh-unforgivable. Of course, Wimpification triggers the exact same reaction.
- Creator's Pet: As a writer, this trope is The Dreaded for me. I avoid giving preferential treatment to characters in my fictions, and those I prefer are those who tend to not get everything they want.
- Cuteness Overload
- Die for Our Ship: Only idiotic writers do this.
- Diminishing Villain Threat
- Double Standard: I hate most and prefer to refer to anybody as persons.
- Faux Action Girl: Adding Faux to something I like is a way to make things I don't like.
- Flat Character
- Friend to All Children
- Go and Sin No More
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness
- Informed Attribute: Show, Don't Tell, bitch.
- Jerk Jock: I really have problems with these guys.
- Kid-Appeal Character
- A Lady on Each Arm: Because it's a symbol of Casanova attitude I despise.
- Mind Control: When overused.
- Motive Decay: I tend to define characters mostly by their motives. What's the level of plot involvement of a character without any motive?
- Never Say "Die": Even though I avoid killing characters off in any fiction, Operation G making exception.
- Perfect Pacifist People: Oh no, they're not perfect, they're boring.
- Phlebotinum Girl: Really because on top of having unneeded and unwanted power, they tend to be otherwise-useless moeblobs. I'd point you straight to Dizzy.
- Really Was Born Yesterday: I don't absolutely loathe it, except when they just get everything by virtue of being the main character, like in my brother's works.
- Redemption Demotion: It'd have to be really justified for me to stand it...
- Redemption Equals Sex: Okay, seriously?
- Ron the Death Eater
- Trapped by Gambling Debts
- True Neutral
- The Worf Effect
Place for everyone to leave a message or a stamp here. (Note: I take insults, and greetings, everything. I just happen to take compliments better than insults.)
Sadly, vandalism has come to an end.
Yet another fighting fiction. In year 4000, isolated Japan is prey to Youkai
who have merged with human post-modern civilization. Mega Corp.
R.Y.U. hastens the preparations of Burei Academy's school tournament
A work with my brother, and a new page of Beyblade is turned.
My Pokemon Red romhack, still under work.
A project originated from mixing up Blazblue
together as inspiration. Result is a world that is already halfway-corrupted, an oppressive government ruling over what's left of humanity, and revolutionary movements. Also, Shout-outs
An original fiction, all happening within a City divided in two that progressively collapses due to wars and its selfish rulers when rebellion pops up.
A fiction which took the theories of a cataclysm the 21st December of 2012 and ran with them. All nations have been broken by private military contractors, and the Earth is now at the hands of six tyrannical corporations. The New United Nations rise to found the old world again, but even they are not so much better as the independent consortiums...
In a far future with the Earth terraformed and unified under an empire, the discovery of four unknown human devices will change the regime.
Now that I decided to remake this as a League of Legends
custom champion series, the story is wiped out, with characters made to fit more into the universe. The acronym and most characters' names changed to no longer be all Japanese.
Since I am a character editor, I have a bunch of things here:
Current patch: 1.10.2
Tropes associated with my MUGEN stuff:
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: As winquotes suggest, Ra-Ky, Musou-Ky and Nouwa-Sol.
- Call Back: EX Musou-Ky's movelist is one to the early-production Musou-Ky, without the attacks that he kept. The names were changed to Japanese to fit Musou more.
- Calling Your Attacks: Most of my characters avoid this. Nouwa-Sol is particular in that a variation of the called-out attack is performed.
- Cloning Blues: The result of Palette Swap abuse.
- Combo Platter Powers: Musou-Ky, has a copy of Sol's Dragon-Installed Gun Flame as a Force Break, meaning he also gets fire on top of lightning. Was furthered with his EX Mode attacks, some of which involve fire.
- Confusion Fu:
- K-Lambda has 12 special moves, not including the four Darklight Charge followups. He has an EX movelist which also swaps a bunch of moves, and AC mode only adds an Ebonthunder Wave followup and an air special with two versions.
- His EX movelist consists of grab frame traps, which still counts.
- Damn You, Muscle Memory: Many examples as I changed the commands for my Sol and Ky clones, but also for the originals.
- Ky's Vapor Thrust has to be executed inversely to the normal one. Conversely, Robo-Ky inverted his Stun Edge's motion. In reaction to input overlaps, the change of directions means that Ky and Robo-Ky have inverse motions for these specials.
- Original Sol, despite returning to Sol's old moveset, doesn't use qcf+S/H as a command for Gun Flame, staying at present Sol's qcf+P (to prevent overlap with Volcanic Viper). Instead, the Gun Flame projectile's speed is determined by whether or not you hold P when the projectile comes out.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: K-Lambda. Literally, his skin is darkish-purple-black-something. And the character splash is still Ky's.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: Ra-Ky.
- Designated Villain: By virtue of being the Final Boss, Ra-Ky. The worst he can be is a douchebag. But he's just a cheap clone. And That's Terrible.
- Early Installment Weirdness / Artifact Title: In Patch 1.1, only K-Lambda was featured. The other characters only appeared in Patch 1.3.
- Evil Redhead: Ra-Ky's default palette is redheaded, despite the character splash being Ky's.
- Faux Affably Evil: Clone Ky. He keeps Ky's polite speech patterns, but uses them in contexts that make them sound a bunch more arrogant (such as saying "As expected." as a win quote instead of as a respect). His taunt is also a silent Bring It. And one of his post-battle win quotes seals the deal.
"You provide zero interest. Begone."
- Glass Cannon: Musou-Ky. He takes nearly as much damage as Chipp, but his clean hits can make for damaging combos.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Ra-Ky is pronounced like "racaille", a French word for "scum".
- Invulnerable Attack: Here and there, especially with the already-existent. It's almost the main shtick of Clone-Ky's normal movelists because all his specials are invulnerable until recovery. Once his gimmicks are figured out, he's easy to dispatch though.
- Jack of All Stats: Sol, as he's the character with the least issues.
- Lag Cancel: Ra-Ky, during Patch 1.6, could cancel any normal into any other depending on whether he's on the ground or mid-air. Even on whiff, and at no cost whatsoever. This made him so stupid to play that this was removed on the following Patch 1.7, 24 days later.
- Cue Patch 1.10.1, where Ra-Ky gets his own Roman Cancel that allows him to feint specials for free, with only a 10-frame lag for anything.
- Lightning Bruiser: Justice, but also Ra-Ky who has defense at her level, big damage on his combos, and is possibly even faster than her.
- Any Gold mode character counts. Even Potemkin.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Averted. There are 18 characters, natch.
- Mega Manning: Present within my characters' movelists. Shout-Out moves are commonplace.
- Mechanically Unusual Fighter: Musou-Ky. His dash pops him into the air ala I-No. His standing kick moves him forward, and his forward hard slash leaps. His crouching kick slides forward, his sweep is his crouching slash rather than crouching dust, his crouching hard slash is a slow attack in the vein of a usual forward hard slash and his crouching dust doesn't hit, instead setting an anti-projectile field that replenishes Musou-Ky's meter a tiny bit if he's inside. In general, he only has three actual low hits in his entire moveset and tons of overheads, so unlike common play against other characters, you will have to more commonly block high against him.
- Mighty Glacier: Potemkin, Musou-Ky and Clone Ky.
- Nerf: Really present as new stuff tends to be quite overpowered.
- Patch 1.4
- Troll Badguile gets his Gold Mode permanent Dragon Install removed
- Clone Ky's damage on his Shuutenbarai projectile super was nerfed.
- Nouwa-Sol meanwhile, got nerfs on the uppercut special and its followups.
- Patch 1.5
- K-Lambda's ranbus do less damage. Ebongleam Drill (his variation on the Rugalspin) becomes much slower.
- Clone Ky's slash combo super Habakiri got a good chunk of damage cut off. Gold Clone Ky also loses the 50% damage bonus on lightning attacks.
- Musou-Ky's dashing slash, Mudouzan, now facetanks one third of the damage and can only block one hit with its autoguard. His projectile, Musouraiba, loses a bit of damage output if it doesn't hit clean (Musou-Ky's clean hits were introduced in this patch).
- Patch 1.6
- K-Lambda gets his damage on supers nerfed some more, and Corrupted Jaw's Gold-Mode-exclusive finish got its damage nerfed too.
- Musou-Ky's command grab lost its clean hit unless in Gold Mode, where he hits clean with everything that can. EX Musou-Ky started its Call Back history by replacing his command grab with one that could infinite into itself if it wasn't techable instantly.
- Patch 1.6.1 featured a Nouwa-Sol rework that made the character worse than ever in terms of direct damage output, with damage nerfs all-around and no super, except perhaps the double Force Break followups to the slash specials.
- Patch 1.7
- Clone Ky changes his destroy move. Rising Force being actually okayish and Hi no Kagutsuchi being just plain horribly slow and vulnerable by comparison is actually a nerf.
- Musou-Ky had fixed hitboxes, meaning they too lean forward at the start of Raigeki, making him more vulnerable.
- For Patch 1.8
- Nouwa-Sol's sidestep D followup become a Force Break, meaning it costs 25% meter to use with no other modification.
- Patch 1.8.1 also nerfed Original Sol by changing his forward Punch to a slow overhead hit.
- EX Musou-Ky deserves his own section, as he lost most of his usual special moves to make place for the Call Back attacks, most of them being nerfed versions of existing moves.
Denju is a slower Gun Flame that stays out for a shorter time.
Jokyougaeshi is a weaker Guard Cancel than any of Baiken's own, with its 14 frames of startup and horrendous recovery.
Mou ii yagaru! is Rock It!, except the followups are Force Breaks, meaning he needs full meter to do what Order-Sol could do with an easier-to-get full Charge meter.
Juuden is Action Charge, except slower and done on its own, not after specials. Instead of giving 80% of a charge level, it gives Musou-Ky a meager 15% meter.
Mudo, a dash-through move, is worse than the normal Musou-Ky dash it replaces.
3.16 Dengekijuu is a slower, weaker Blockhead Buster.
Uwadanken Keishiki, his uppercut, was nerfed from its original infinite material status to being barely usable since it has invincibility shorter than its startup, it functions similarly to Sol's Volcanic Viper, without its first hit and with pitiful horizontal range.
Kiri has been repurposed, but now it's a static version of Kongougama that won't do much even with invincibility to throws and on his upper body.
Arekuruu is a nerfed Bandit Revolver Prototype from Order Sol.
Hebigami is harder to use in EX Mode, its command being more complicated and it's only usable from the ground unless he's in Gold Mode.
Rando Rakudo is a mixed bag from both its old iterations, one of which was a slidekick and the other of which was a Gun Blaze carbon copy. This one has a pillar consistently attached to him except its vertical range is bad and horizontally-speaking it has negative priority.
- Patch 1.9
- Troll Badguile got his broken AC Mode Troll attack attended to. Its ground recovery has been multiplied by almost 5.
- Musou-Ky has his combos nerfed since the clean hit window of Hebigami was cut in half, making it harder to hit clean with.
- Nouwa-Sol lost the invincible followups to the sidestep and power charge, to make due for the arrival of 2 supers (Nouwa-Sol had no true super previously), one of which actually gets the followups.
- Original Sol also got a nerfed hitbox on his dashing forward kick, and a new forward Hard Slash that has little range that Original Sol himself doesn't cover during the startup (it's easy to hit him out of it). Meanwhile, Ra-Ky lost all his jumping Stun Edge variations, though these were redundant.
- Patch 1.10
- Musou-Ky's mobility from normal movement becomes slow, and he becomes a Mechanically Unusual Fighter who can't move safely. His EX-Mode-only guard cancel and uppercut both get a few extra frames of startup and recovery. Also, his EX Mode lost the capability to clean hit.
He also changed instant kills for a worse one than Rising Force, despite the startup of the attack itself being one frame less. Trance Star has range too short and recovery too long for said range.
- Original Sol's crouching dust loses momentum carry to specials when it hits. His air dust loses 5 active frames and gets 4 extra recovery frames.
- Patch 1.10.1 gutted the speed of Musou-Ky's dash and his running grab. He can no longer cancel from his dash immediately into an attack, which stops any possibility of a Musou-Ky Dustloop that he could do by dashing and instantly using his air dust so he could recover faster. His running grab lost 30% of its running speed. Also, his double projectile changed since the first projectile is static, nerfing Musou-Ky's damage from afar.
- Patch 1.10.2 first tended to Nouwa-Sol's crouching Dust, as it no longer moves forward. And it also replaced crouching jab by a weaker one. Troll Badguile was also targeted: his standing kick also lost half its damage as it hits once, and he can no longer have two GURLFRIEN Ds on screen. Musou-Ky lost jump cancels from his crouching Hard Slash and his forward Hard Slash. The first can be comboed into a knockdown regardless and the second comboes into Kongougame, a fact that is otherwise impossible.
- No Ending: A MUGEN standard: Everyone just wins to a simple congratulation screen and their character doing one of their winposes.
- One-Hit Kill: Destroy moves, like in Guilty Gear. Nouwa-Sol's is particular in that it's just a full tension super.
- Palette Swap: My custom characters are this.
- Power Creep:
- With moves copypasted from different games, Shout-Out attacks can be an example of this.
- Ra-Ky goes through constant power creep each patch since his introduction in 1.5. At his early stages, defeating him was easy. Now, Gold Ra-Ky is almost unbeatable, and takes rounds off of one mistake. The only nerf he ever got was having his Lag Cancel from normal to normal taken off in Patch 1.7.
- Patch 1.6 gave him the extreme Lag Cancel antics that were taken off in Patch 1.7.
- Patch 1.7 replaced the patch 1.6 buffs. He gained Slayer's teleport dashes, a better hit box and a ground bounce on his Enhanced Needle Spike. His air Hard Slash had double untech time on knockdown. His Stun Edges projectile speeds were exaggerated to fit their specific purposes better. EX Mode also got three new attacks, two being Unblockable Attack and the last being an overhead combo filler.
- Patch 1.8 made his throws combo starters, with the ground throw gaining a wallbounce and the air throw launching the opponent.
- Patch 1.9 gives him a quick-recovering DP and one that launches the opponent high up, but both's recovery are buffed. He also gains an air super, which highly resembles I-No's, one of the most evil in the game.
- Patch 1.10 fixed the Kaizo Wave corner whiff, made his Ride the Lightning ~ Gamma Ver. faster to go forward and recover, made his dash charge meter. His all-around movement speed was buffed. Plus, he gained three special moves: a 5-hit Charged Stun Edge, Sacred Edge (yes, Ky's super), and a dashing overhead launcher with low profile that only complements low-hitting Grand Vapor.
- Patch 1.10.1 massively buffed his Sacred Edge, making it much faster and more damaging. It also decreased the recovery of his EX Mode overhead. His Dead Angle Attack also gained range. But the most important is his own type of Roman Cancel that appeared: he can now feint any special for free by pressing down on top of the normal RC command, it does have 8 frames of startup and 2 frames of recovery.
- Patch 1.10.2 buffed his air jab. His walk and dash speed have increased massively. His Needle Spike's second portion also stopped hitting several times in favor of a free launching addendum that hits at the exact same frame Ra-Ky recovers. His air dust's trap stays out longer and starts faster. He also gains auto-Slashbacking attacks in AC mode. His Sacred Edge super was replaced, and his Destroy changed. Both summon Raoh, Zappa's Game Breaker spirit.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Musou-Ky's default palette is pink-haired.
- The Scrappy: To almost everyone who ever heard of my MUGEN, K-Lambda. Packed fast normals, dealt high damage on supers with good utility (to the point that his damage had to be nerfed twice), and had moves for everything. Though the annoying tendency to interrupt everything was the thing that came to light with the AI, one person treated him as more of a boss than Clone Ky.
- His use of different sound effects made him this even for me, so I took him out of my lineup ultimately. He's still available for download but isn't to be patched ever.
- He's Back: Next patch is 2.0 simply because of his return from the heap.
- Shoto Clones: A lot of them. Since even Chipp can be treated as one, that makes a lot. Counting the characters that are not shotos to me is easier. Which leaves just Baiken, Musou-Ky and Clone Ky (the latter two's EX Modes fit the shoto bill in their way).
- Shout-Out: So many moves, if it's not straight Mega Manning.
- The Smurfette Principle: Formerly played straight since, Justice excluded, there was only Baiken. Later on, I-No got added which averted it.
- SNK Boss: The AI has been taken off of every single character, meaning that for a skilled player, only Ra-Ky (maybe Justice) can pose a challenge.
- Gold K-Lambda isn't dangerous, save for three moves. Corrupted Jaw becomes like Rugal's Gigantic Pressure super, and the second part deals so much more damage than the first, that the move alone deals around 45% damage. Charge Stun Edge (and Ray Divider instead for EX Mode) also don't disappear after hitting 3 times, making them high-damage combo filler.
- Gold Troll has a 3-hit GURLFRIEND and regenerates.
- Gold Musou-Ky's specials and supers hit cleanly all the time if possible, including those that couldn't hit cleanly normally. This doesn't apply to EX Mode since he cannot clean hit in EX Mode, even if Gold.
- Gold Nouwa-Sol gets Flame Distortion, but its only use is the constant tension regeneration since Nouwa-Sol doesn't have a Charge meter.
- Gold Original Sol has infinite tension and is in permanent Dragon Install, like normal Sol. But he isn't as cheap as Sol in that only his Volcanic Viper is enhanced, and his supers are different.
- Clone Ky is a mild example, but he has high resistance and borrows invincible and unblockable attacks from Clone Zero. Gold Clone Ky regenerates life at double the rate of Gold Sol, and his unblockable specials come out in around around 20 frames rather than 45, making his pressure game much more deadly since you are much more likely to get caught in unblockable tech-into-my-invulnerable-grab trap setups.
- Ra-Ky's normals have electric visual effects that give them superior range, up to a near-fullscreen far slash. His air dust lays down a trap similar to Ky's Force Break trap, a far better variation. His kick specials have lengthy invulnerability windows. He also boasts a low-profile launcher. He has unique special versions of Charged Stun Edge (which comes out faster than Ky's and deals 5 hits) and Sacred Edge (which is normally a super for Ky, Ra-Ky's version is faster and hits only once instead of 5 times but deals all the accumulated damage in that one hit). Plus, he uses a copycat of the Kaiser Wave from Rugal himself, and he can fire it fast like the 2002 version (aka it's out and fullscreen in less than 10 frames). Including the "glitches" (intentionally), except that the perma-lock is done when the fireball is fired point-blank with at least the second version. While in AC Mode, he also can use Ky's Lightning Strike as a homing Unblockable Attack. His supers also boast absurdly long invincibility frames.
When Gold, he gains 50% damage on all hits but his EX Mode's Omnipotent Earthquake and his Dead Angle Attack. His Charged Stun Edge also never vanishes by hitting too much.
- Some Dexterity Required: Most aspects are denied. Only Sol and Musou-Ky have clean hits that need some aiming, and even then it's only Sol's Sidewinder, and Fafnir as well as Musou-Ky's copypaste of the first: Musou Ky otherwise gets clean hits from doing moves at point-blank range.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: Zig-Zagged: My MUGEN sports music from Under Night In-Birth, but I also acquired the KOF '97 and '98 soundtracks. But ultimately I got the Guilty Gear soundtrack which averts the trope. There are even enough non-Leitmotif tracks for my custom characters to get their themes from.
- Talking to Himself: There are 6 Kys and 5 Sols, what do you expect?
- Teleporters and Transporters: One of Clone Ky's standard intros involves him teleporting in. K-Lambda also teleports out in a special win pose against some other clones.
- Troll: Troll Badguile. Some of his winquotes drive the point home. Singing "trololo", using a lot of Take That Stock Phrases, or Trash Talking is but the tip of the iceberg.
"Don't hate on me cause I'm awesome!"
- Twenty Minutes into the Future: Inverted with Original Sol, who has Sol's Guilty Gear moveset and mannerisms from "twenty minutes into the past". His few original attacks are "in-development" version of Sol's newer moves or even Order-Sol's attacks.
- With My Hands Tied: Nouwa-Sol's idle animation is arms crossed at waist-height.
- Worthy Opponent: Ra-Ky had a random chance of having this for a win quote. This was patched out in favor of narcissism in Patch 1.9:
"I got rolling there! Good one." -> "Damn I'm good!"
Stratego Legends notes:
You have seen it on my brother's page: we both play this game and experiment with it. We created a ton of new factions.
Tropes associated with whatever we are doing:
- Action Bomb: Electrode's trademark. Since then, its ability to move became staple for overpowered magic units.
- Anti-Air: The Anti-Flight ability. A unit with that ability instantly kills units that fly above (or should land on) it.
- Anti-Magic: The Dispel Magic ability allows creatures to cancel any magic effect of magic units they battle, which is a slight modification ruling-wise from the original in which it only worked on Magic units you attacked (since Magic units couldn't attack before, the text had to be fixed).
- Auto-Revive: Several units have a Death Curse that revives the unit when the curse is over (or worse, before).
- Boring but Practical: The units that have never been reworked are most often a case of this, never being reworked because they're simple. Monster Reborn always revived any one unit, Chuck Norris has always been that 10-force unit with Dispel Innate, Dispel Magic, and an innate of his own that instantly destroys any unit he fights. On the other side, House of Cards has always destroyed itself upon being revealed, and Trojan Horse has always made the attacker instantly teleport into a space of their choice after beating it.
- Game Breaker: Almost every single created faction, the exceptions being the Hiwauz and Veelenz (being extremely plain or complicated) and the N0obz and Nübz (who too often devolve into killing themselves). And even they have Game Breakers (ones that turn the game against them for the later ones at least).
- Gameplay and Story Segregation: Notable with the setting-inspired factions.
- House Rules: Shitloads. New abilities and naming conventions saw the light of day.
- Instant-Win Condition: Destroying a castle always bring instant victory, but the N0obz and Nübz have several going against their units. House of Cards notably destroys itself when revealed, giving any enemy unit that attacks it instant success, and the game. In fact, you can win the game without attacking it via use of Vision.
- And my remix of XEH Drive's Terrorist Action can end up so since it can force the opponent to destroy their own castle.
- Joke Character: The Nübz and N0obz.
- Loophole Abuse: A lot. Several factions had to be remade due to loopholes.
- A specific example is SMnK's Teruki Tomoya, who had an ability that moved him by two spaces. It was Quickness, except with unlimited use, and he could use it to attack during the opponent's turn. It caused several strict rulings: (1- This ability did have not to be used more than once per turn. 2- He had to not attack units during the opponent's turn.) And this ability was still so broken (especially since Teruki is force-9) that it was the reason SMnK (yes, the entire faction) spent months under revision and ended up scrapped.
- Issue brought up 15/04/2014 is the status of attacks against units with innates or maluses that instantly kill them (example: The Nubz' Fake King instantly kills himself when revealed, or N0obz' Pikachu who gives himself a malus of -2 when attacked in the case this malus has him go below zero force). Discussion remains on whether an attack counts as successful when the enemies kill themselves via effects during the attack or not, for innates like Berserk.
- Fixed: Such attacks count as successes despite the unit not counting as destroyed by battle.
- My Rules Are Not Your Rules: XEH Drive and Blissrune do not play by the rules.
Their magic units can move (some even have mobility abilities) and attack, and they cancel innates, meaning they're immune to Dispel Magic. Also, their Death Curses aren't cancellable by simultaneous death curse activation (their curse forcibly overwrite any other curse), and they can be ended at will. They can also be activated whenever one of their allied units fights and replace it in the battle.
Blissrune's castle Air Fortress Pegasus can move, and also has a limited form of the Fly action. Also, my XEH Drive remix's QMR Homasubi Branch doesn't net the opponent an insta-win when it's destroyed because its Curse prevents such victories. You can also sacrifice a unit at any moment to bring it back.
- One-Hit Kill: One moment in particular had me use Oobers' Landorus to land a first-turn-kill unwittingly. But some other examples exist, like XEH Drive's Triple Trouble, which lets you instantly kill any unit.
- Power Creep / Serial Escalation: The epitome of it in our quick-winning overpowered factions.
- The Power Creep has stopped with the XEH Drive and Blissrune sections due to the SMnK and Ryumaru blunders.
- Redshirt Army: Tends to happen in gauntlet matches where factions like XEH Drive are teamed up with factions like the N0obz, who of course Can't Catch Up.
- Even the Ubers can be subject to this when paired with XEH Drive and Blissrune, which basically makes them the "Anything Goes" tier.
- Set Bonus: Several units function this way. The Nübz invert this with set maluses (namely Fake-types revealing each other).
- Switch Out Move: Nubz' Naruto Uzumaki and N0obz' Abra, respectively force-10 and force-2, attempt to do this. Naruto can be forced to cancel this move and gets a debuff for it, and Abra can (and most often will) end up letting the opponent take out one of your more valuable units of his choice. Naruto Uzumaki recently lost this ability.
- Team Killer: The Nübz, notably the Fake-type units, have a bunch of this. And there's the self-Griefer Magic Waluigi Time!.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Nübz' Choice Band gave +5 force and Berserk to the enemy that attacks it. Most often, the unit would become a hugeass juggernaut whose strength just fits this trope, enough to make some units from normal factions able to beat XEH Drive units in terms of raw strength.
- Unstable Equilibrium: The Nübz' Fake-type units have bad effects if they're revealed, several of which involved revealing or destroying other Fake-type units, which often lead to snowballing destruction until no Fake-type was left. Now the effects are less nasty, but they still end up revealing each other very fast.
- Uriah Gambit: Happens most often to replace Death Curses from underpowered factions.
Notes about Fan Fic/Unprecedented Catastrophe: Is the main character a Gappy Stu?
WARNING: Spoilers ahead!
I proceed accordingly to the DitR Analysis
- He is an Author Avatar, despite the fact that he remembers very little, his ethnicity is still French.
- He isn't well-versed in Japanese mythology, except of course the knowledge that he got from Perfect Memento in Strict Sense.
- He arrives empty-handed. He gets hosted by Reimu for two weeks, and then he dies.
- He has a lot of different emotions, the only one mentioned not to appear is cocky since he is new.
- He doesn't worry about his life back home because he doesn't remember it.
- Just like me, he is single, virgin, and bad with girls.
- He only tries violence once before dying, and it doesn't even get here.
- He can be shallow at times, but doesn't base anything on looks, weapons or rank; he just offhandedly respects everyone but Nouwa.
- He likes swords, but only had sword training with Youmu. He makes a sword of lightning once, as symbolism for a ranged attack.
- He becomes a youkai, when he dies and his ghost lingers.
- The only thing akin to an avatar he gained is a spirit born of his desire for death, wishing to kill him.
- He is not motion sick easily, but never goes at high heights to fly. One of his attempts at flight pre-death even fails resulting in injury.
- He was in the Hakurei Shrine when he was absorbed in a fluctuation of the Hakurei Barrier, and pulled away from it by Yukari so that the barrier could be repaired. Obviously, he was not intact.
- Yukari's excuse for saving it was to avoid a breach in the Hakurei Barrier, as well as "training" to see what she could be able to pull out of inexistence.
- He encountered Yukari once or twice as she attempted to finish her task of managing the lost soul.
- The fic stars three other Gappies: Luke, who is an important secondary character and assists Reimu in resolving the incident, Dondeo, a man who holds a restaurant in the Human Village and was gapped before Luke. The third hasn't appeared yet.
- I fully acknowledge the character as a Gappy.
- The first thing he does is wander into the Forest of Magic. Because he is scared of Kanako. Despite being barely recovered from his harmful "gapping".
- He begins the story injured. The injuries never get properly treated because they are barely visible and Reimu and Marisa were more worried about anchoring his soul to Gensokyo.
- He marvels at the sights once, when heading for the Scarlet Devil Mansion in the very beginning of Chapter 1. And he has trouble adjusting to the fact he's in a fantasy world. In about 1 month, he showed signs of adjustment as well as old habits that didn't die yet.
- Noone walks, he gets carried around to the Hakurei Shrine, and then learns to fly by himself. Exposition is made while stationary (read: at the Hakurei Shrine, while Reimu trains him).
- Reimu isn't ultra-nice, being aloof and at times borderline angry, Marisa doesn't say "ze" so much. Sanae assists in the training and he's a major Tsundere with an S in tsun to her.
- He needs a book for research and goes to the Scarlet Devil Mansion. First: he tries by himself. Second: the travel isn't harmless, even a trade of blows with Cirno breaks one of his arms. He doesn't borrow a book from Patchouli, instead having gotten the right to read any books without taking them, and she took a sip of his blood first. He drinks no tea at all. Flandre appears, and he is mostly responsible for the terror he experiences, thinking she's an Omnicidal Maniac while she's being a Creepy Child whose idea of a game involves a Spell Card that burns him in several places.
- He can't go in the Human Village or Kourindou now because he's dead. The passage involving the Human Village is seen by Remilia's eyes, and as she visits zones "far too mundane for her", most buildings are wooden.
- The Gappy doesn't need inventions: he hasn't got time for spiffy things in his quest of mentality change and adaptation. Nitori of course doesn't have infinite resources as the Kappa face a more technologically-advanced enemy.
- He didn't visit Sanae while alive: she did at times during his training. And while she is jealous of Reimu's incident-solving record, she isn't a villain, instead being more of a friendly rival.
- The conflict begins way before he's met everyone, though the incident actually begins weeks after the first spark of conflict.
- There are two simultaneous incidents: both throwbacks to PC-98 games. Of course, Mima and Yumemi are not Always Chaotic Evil.
- None is Gensokyo's "most destructive incident yet". In fact, Yumemi building too much is what sparks the incident resolvers towards destroying her things.
- Mima has nocturnal fairies, while Yumemi uses drones. The incident resolvers can beat those with ease.
- No conflict spreads all over Gensokyo (though Yumemi has a zone of influence between the Misty Lake and the foot of Youkai Mountain), the incident resolvers are not specifically hurried, but the destruction that occurs is described.
- Only the gappy is hesitating, the incident resolvers have plenty of time, and some characters even take seats as villains and pick fights for the lulz. The gappy even fails when he goes gung-ho by himself, disappearing twice through the story (first time being his death), and he won't stop the Big Bad, Reimu will.
- You are spoilered: REIMU RESOLVES THE INCIDENT! NO EXCEPTIONS!: The hero is defeated, and still comatose as Reimu does the important fighting.
- He doesn't sacrifice himself because he is already dead. He is defeated normally and remains unconscious. He was afraid to die enough when bleeding to death in the Scarlet Devil Mansion.
- Since he did not sacrifice himself, he just wakes up slightly injured but with the incident over.
- He did not make any lives better, but his.
- By that time, he hasn't sorted out his love life yet.
- He obviously remains in Gensokyo, or rather, his actual home would be the Netherworld.
- Yukari might gap someone in. Who the hell knows..?
- The outside world's fate without the main character is brushed but not extended upon, since Nouwa mentioned a killing spree of which all victims had a link to the gappy.
- Black Hole Stu: Even though his arrival attracts the most bored individuals, the incident involves other people separatedly of him. Also, he plays little part in Chapter 4, and utterly vanishes out of the spotlight at the end of Chapter 8.
- Designated Hero: He's in no way presented as heroic, rather being presented as crazy, odd and with warped morals.
- Instant Expert: Most of the training is done offscreen, and he succeeds, even though he's far from being expert in anything.
- Marty Stu: So far, he seems to be the Anti-Sue type, as he's weak and unaccustomed to Gensokyo yet.
- Mighty Whitey: Nope. So far, he sucks at danmaku and spouts off random Japanese, as well as being misunderstood due to Gratuitous Foreign Language abuse.
- Teen Genius: He's 22 (evidently more, but how much?), and he knows much about Gensokyo because he's an Author Avatar of someone who did read the guides before the "gapping".
- Aborted Arc: Averted, but the Kudzu Plot is unconcluded in all aspects.
- Anticlimax Boss: Averted, every fight has been a Hopeless Boss Fight.
- Arc Fatigue: The fic is one single arc, even with the Kudzu Plot.
- Genre Shift: Averted: the fic is about the action and adventure. Nothing else.
- Infodump: The character read the guides, so he doesn't need it. Even though he only remembers part of it and sometimes acts Too Dumb to Live.
- Magnetic Hero: Averted. He spends his time in different groups of people, and stays permanently with no one. He's picked up by Komachi when she goes investigate the incident, but she's the leader and he's the loose cannon.
- Narrative Filigree: Sometimes, such as the description of Heaven.
- Padding: I try to avert it, most long paragraphs are descriptions or tell someone's thoughts.
- Prolonged Prologue: The prologue chapter is a little part of the fiction, but the incident is started at Chapter 6.
- Random Events Plot: Averted: most things happen for a reason.
- Strangled by the Red String: Averted: the romance is for later. Nobody even knows who is his love interest, though he has behaved oddly around Komachi, and probably Youmu as she remarked to her.
- Those Two Guys: Averted: Marisa appears once with Reimu, but also Luke and Remilia. And then she makes a Face-Heel Turn.
- Walk and Talk: In fact, everyone flies, but some characters talk despite the speaking never consisting of Infodump. The main character knows several things about how Gensokyo works. It's assumed you do.
- Apathetic Citizens: The youkai mostly don't care, nocturnal fairies are attracted by the artificial night, and the cast definitely doesn't stay in place.
- Ass Pull: None so far, I think.
- Chickification: Nobody. In fact, Komachi and Youmu leave the main character to fight Nouwa because It's Personal: they could beat her one-on-one with relative ease.
- Complete Monster: Averted with Nouwa: she's an ikiryo, a spirit that represents Wish Fulfillment. Since she has been made of rather obscure wishes (frustration, general anger, and suicidal urges), she rises up as an antagonist to erase the main character from existence, so she comes to an end with it.
- Complexity Addiction: Averted: Nouwa is extremely straightforward. Her plan consists in:
1- Find a way to erase the main character from existence.
2- Use it to erase him.
3- Cease to be as a result.
- Deus ex Machina: So far, one: when the main character receives a Spell Card out of nowhere during his fight against Nouwa. It really was Sanae who "gave" him this card at his side by wishing for him to survive.
- Distress Ball: Unused, except for the main character yet.
- Dying Like Animals: Nobody other than the main character is dead.
- Faux Action Girl: Averted. Even though Nouwa's weaker than most canon characters, she is a threat to the main character, much more so than everybody else.
- Go Out with a Smile: The hero becomes a ghost because he didn't.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Averted.
- Omnicidal Maniac: Averted: the targets of Nouwa's ire were specific. The main character is the last.
- Put Them All Out of My Misery: It is mentioned the hero did this by proxy: Yukari mentioned that Nouwa went on a killing spree in the Outside World, as it was one of the wishes that created her.
- Shadow Archetype: Nouwa, though much differently than the average Gappy villain. It's an Invoked Trope.
- Smooch of Victory: The main character is on a losing streak.
- Stupid Evil: Nouwa is much more about Pragmatic Villainy. The Chaotic Evil way, though.
- Villain Ball: None exposed so far.
All under this format: Meme name: Explanation
- "SIX IS OP": Explanation
- "OOOOOOOWNED!": Explanation
- Shielded: Explanation
- I'm still waiting for my 3-frame overhead: Explanation
- "Gonna send big boy [insert name of powerful unit] on your sorry ass!": Explanation
- The God-mode Yeong-Jin: Explanation
Specific to our games:
Bad: I have to keep a toaster as personal computer because the sharing got abusive an my stepfather just took the damn thing for himself.