We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Hey, I'm just another guy who likes anime, video games, wuxia
, Japanese culture, and some other stuff I can't think of off the top of my head.
So I'll just list tropes that apply to me:
- A Good Name for a Rock Band: "Hey, that sounds like a good band name!" is sort of one of my catch phrases.
- Adjusting Your Glasses: When I actually used to wear glasses, I'd do Type 3 as a habit, to the point where I sometimes still do it, even though I don't wear them anymore!
- All Asians Are Alike: I'm a Filipino who likes Japanese and Korean culture and music, but I've been mistaken for Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, and even Mexican (I know, not Asian, but still). I guess that last one would be "All People With Spanish Ancestry Are Alike"?
- Apologises a Lot
- Be Yourself: I used to be afraid of this because I was so different from most of the people in my middle school and early high school classes, but now I follow this strongly.
- Buffy Speak: Played straight (Usually only in Real Life, though). Sometimes on purpose.
- Camp Straight: For the most part, averted, until you consider my taste in music. I mostly listen to Kpop, most of it either by cutesy girl groups, or by boy bands and aimed at girls. And the fact that I often like to learn the choreography for said songs.
- Deadpan Snarker: I easily slip into this when talking about people I don't like.
- Everything Is Racist: Being Filipino, and having had classmates in middle school who weren't exactly kind to Asians, I had this mindset throughout most of middle school until maybe early high school, where I still noticed it occasionally. It got to the point where I would automatically play the race card to pretty much anyone who wasn't nice to me. But I've lightened up a LOT since then.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: In video games, I always prefer to use characters with swords. Also, I take up kendo, so in a way, swords are my Weapon of Choice.
- Gratuitous English: English is my first language, but I'm an American who uses British slang the same way Bakura does in Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series, so does that count?
- Gratuitous Foreign Language: A few cases.
- Chinese: I have a tendency to say "Aiya!" when most people would say "oh my god". Also, thanks to a certain game, I sometimes use Cantonese insults like pok gai/puk gaai.
- Japanese: I sometimes say "Yosh!" when I get up from a seat or lift something heavy.
- Yiddish: I'm not Jewish, but thanks to a friend, I've taken to saying "oy vey" when I see something cringeworthy. I think I'm doing this less though, and it's getting phased out by the Chinese "aiya".
- I Have Many Names: From nicknames to internet usernames.
- Mistaken for Gay: In middle school, I had a male classmate who was very, very clingy and possessive of me, would stare at me, watching pretty much every movement I made, follow me around constantly, and would get extremely jealous if I hung around anyone other than him. And he would deny it whenever I or anyone else called out the obvious. But because he was always seen around me, everyone in my class mistook us for a gay couple. It didn't help that most of them were homophobic.
- There was another time when a girl mistook me for gay after I told her I liked Super Junior. And because I know what Yaoi is. Not because I liked it, which I don't. Just because I know what it is.
- Nice Guy: Most of my friends have outright called me this. Sorry if I sound too egotistical for saying this.
- Pungeon Master: I like to think I've become this recently. I especially like to work titles and lyrics of Kpop songs into stuff, but I really only do that around my Kpop friends.
(When a Kpop fan compliments me on doing something cool) "What can I say? I'm a Beast
, and that's not Fiction!"
- The One Guy: Most of my friends are female, and when I hang out with them, this often tends to happen.
- Ryu and Ken: One of my best friends and I always compare ourselves to them. (FTR, I'm the Ryu between us)
Anime/Manga I like:
Video Games I like: