Tropers / Put Ya Guns On
Hey, I'm just another guy who likes anime, video games, wuxia
, Japanese culture, and some other stuff I can't think of off the top of my head.
So I'll just list tropes that apply to me:
- A Good Name for a Rock Band: "Hey, that sounds like a good band name!" is sort of one of my catch phrases.
- Adjusting Your Glasses: When I actually used to wear glasses, I'd do Type 3 as a habit.
- All Asians Are Alike: I'm a Filipino who likes Japanese and Korean culture and music, but I've been mistaken for Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, and even Mexican (I know, not Asian, but still). I guess that last one would be "All People With Spanish Ancestry Are Alike"?
- Apologises a Lot: Used to. Certain people close to me hated it, so I try to avoid this.
- Be Yourself: I used to be afraid of this because I was so different from most of the people in my middle school and early high school classes, but now I follow this strongly.
- Buffy Speak
- Camp Straight: For the most part, averted, until you consider my taste in music. I mostly listen to Kpop, most of it either by cutesy girl groups, or by boy bands and aimed at girls.
- Deadpan Snarker: I easily slip into this when talking about people I don't like.
- The Dog Bites Back: There was this one time when I was a kid and I got back at another kid for bullying me the previous school year.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Then after I got him to apologize, this happened, and later zigzagged a couple of years later.
- Everything Is Racist: Being Filipino, and having had classmates in middle school who weren't exactly kind to Asians, I had this mindset throughout most of middle school until maybe early high school, where I still noticed it occasionally. It got to the point where I would automatically play the race card to pretty much anyone who wasn't nice to me. But I've lightened up a LOT since then.
- Fan Nickname: I have a few.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: In video games, I always prefer to use characters with swords. Also, I used to take up kendo.
- Gratuitous Foreign Language: A few cases.
- Chinese: I have a tendency to say "Aiya!" when most people would say "oh my god". Also, thanks to a certain game, I sometimes use Cantonese insults like pok gai/puk gaai.
- Japanese: I sometimes say "Yosh!" when I get up from a seat or lift something heavy.
- Yiddish: I'm not Jewish, but thanks to a friend, I've taken to saying "oy vey" when I see something cringeworthy.
- Haven't done this one in a while.
- Mistaken for Gay: In middle school, I had a male classmate who was very, very clingy and possessive of me, would stare at me, watching pretty much every movement I made, follow me around constantly, and would get extremely jealous if I hung around anyone other than him. And he would deny it whenever I or anyone else called out the obvious. But because he was always seen around me, everyone in my class mistook us for a gay couple. It didn't help that most of them were homophobic.
- There was another time when a girl mistook me for gay after I told her I liked Super Junior. And because I know what Yaoi is. Not because I liked it, which I don't. Just because I know what it is.
- Old Shame: Too many to list.
- Pungeon Master: I like to think I've become this recently. I like to work titles and lyrics of Kpop songs into stuff, whenever I meet a person who likes Kpop.
- The One Guy: I probably have more female friends than male friends, so this happens a lot.
- Ryu and Ken: One of my best friends and I always used to compare ourselves to them, since we were such huge Street Fighter fans as kids. (FTR, I was the Ryu between us, but now I think I'm becoming the Ken while he's becoming the Ryu)
Shows, Movies, Books, Comics, etc. that I like:
Video Games I like:
Stuff I Don't Like: