Hey, I'm just another guy who likes anime, video games, wuxia
, Japanese culture, and some other stuff I can't think of off the top of my head.
So I'll just list tropes that apply to me:
- A Good Name for a Rock Band: "Hey, that sounds like a good band name!" is sort of one of my catch phrases.
- Adjusting Your Glasses: When I actually used to wear glasses, I'd do Type 3 as a habit, to the point where I sometimes still do it, even though I don't wear them anymore!
- All Asians Are Alike: I'm a Filipino-American who likes Japanese and Korean culture and music, but I've been mistaken for Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, and even Mexican (I know, not Asian, but still). I guess that last one would be "All People With Spanish Ancestry Are Alike"?
- Apologises a Lot
- Be Yourself: I used to be afraid of this because I was so different from most of the people in my middle school and early high school classes, but now I follow this strongly.
- Buffy Speak: Played straight (Usually only in Real Life, though). Sometimes on purpose.
- Camp Straight: For the most part, averted, until you consider my taste in music. I mostly listen to Kpop, most of it either by cutesy girl groups, or by boy bands and aimed at girls. And the fact that I often like to learn the choreography for said songs.
- Deadpan Snarker: I easily slip into this when talking about people I don't like.
- Everything Is Racist: Being Filipino-American, and having had classmates in middle school who weren't exactly kind to Asians, I had this mindset throughout most of middle school until maybe early high school, where I still noticed it occasionally. It got to the point where I would automatically play the race card to pretty much anyone who wasn't nice to me. But I've lightened up a LOT since then.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: In video games, I always prefer to use characters with swords. Also, I take up kendo, so in a way, swords are my Weapon of Choice.
- Gratuitous English: English is my first language, but I'm an American who uses British slang the same way Bakura does in Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series, so does that count?
- Gratuitous Japanese: I used to mutter "kuso" so it sounds more like "ksch". That's about it. For some unknown reason, I don't do it much anymore. Though lately, whenever I get up from sitting down, or lift something heavy, I tend to say "Yosh!" like anime characters tend to do.
- I Have Many Names: From nicknames to internet usernames.
- Mistaken for Gay: In middle school, I had a male classmate who was very, very clingy and possessive of me, would stare at me, watching pretty much every movement I made, follow me around constantly, and would get extremely jealous if I hung around anyone other than him. And he would deny it whenever I or anyone else called out the obvious. But because he was always seen around me, everyone in my class mistook us for a gay couple. It didn't help that most of them were homophobic.
- There was another time when a girl mistook me for gay after I told her I liked Super Junior. And because I know what Yaoi is. Not because I liked it, which I don't. Just because I know what it is.
- Nice Guy: Most of my friends have outright called me this. Sorry if I sound too egotistical for saying this.
- Pungeon Master: I like to think I've become this recently. I especially like to work titles and lyrics of Kpop songs into stuff, but I really only do that around my Kpop friends.
(When a Kpop fan compliments me on doing something cool) "What can I say? I'm a Beast
, and that's not Fiction!"
- The One Guy: Most of my friends are female, and when I hang out with them, this often tends to happen.
- Ryu and Ken: One of my best friends and I always compare ourselves to them. (FTR, I'm the Ryu between us)
Anime/Manga I like:
Video Games I like: