- Some people really do read it for the articles: Playboy is actually one of the magazines that The Library of Congress funds having printed in Braille. In 1985 it was dropped from the list. In 1986 the funding was restored when it was argued in court that blind readers who use the Braille edition really do get it for the articles since the Braille edition contains no ads or pictures.
- Marge Simpson's November 2009 appearance on the cover makes her the first animated character to do so.
- Banned in China: Plus India, Myanmar, Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei, and most Arab countries.
- Dueling Products: With Penthouse, leading to the "Pubic Wars". And then came Hustler and its overtly graphic pictures.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: 2009 Playmate of the Year Sarah Underwood can currently be found on G4's Attack of the Show!.
- Idiosyncratic Cover Art \ Easter Egg: The Playboy bunny icon is hidden somewhere on every cover.
- It's Not Porn, It's Art: A common justification... including during the early days, with several lawsuits trying to ban the magazine as obscene content. (and considering how raunchy equivalents such as Penthouse and Hustler get, Hefner & co. can get a pass with this trope)
- Mundane Utility: That sample image test known as Lena originated from a centerfold.