Owari to Hajimari no Miles is one of the more recent works of Mohiro Kitoh.It follows the adventures of Miles, a spirit medium, and Gikaku, a rather light-hearted god of destruction. They live in the Sky Ring (or Orbis Vanus), a large archipelago of floating islands, in which objects infused with spirit in the Small World (or Mundus Parvus) incarnate. Miles and other spirit mediums have the responsibility to manage these spirit objects as they go through their life cycle, from the Small World to their machine heaven.Despite its intriguing premise, the series ended with no plot resolution in 2010. Now that the magazine carrying it has ceased publication, it seems quite unlikely to be continued.
This manga provides examples of:
- Anachronism Stew: The spirit objects come from all different time periods, though most are from the 20th century.
- Beautiful Dreamer: Gikaku deactivated Miles' alarm clock for the sole purpose of this.
- Big Eater: Miles
- Cool Boat: Gikaku is the spirit form of the Japanese battleship Nagato.
- Cool Plane: Plenty, as is par for the course in a Kitoh manga.
- Cut Short: It abruptly ends in the second volume with no plot resolution
- Dirty Communists: None actually show up, but it's repeatedly mentioned that the Soviet red star is a "symbol of evil"
- Eagle Land: The American spirit who appears late in the manga's run is a clear Type 2.
- Floating Continent: And even an ocean, though it didn't show up in the manga.
- The Rival: The soft-spoken (but perverted) Kionona.
- World in the Sky