Tear Jerker: The Thick of It
- Seeing Malcolm comfort Sam in Season Three.
- Malcolm's gradual deterioration throughout the season.
- Ollie's Face-Heel Turn in Season Four, from helping Malcolm sabotage Nicola, to utterly betraying Glenn, made worse by the moments when he seems to be uncomfortable before he just keeps going.
- Made even worse by the fact that he appears to be crying in 4.04 after ruining Nicola's career.
- Malcolm's career falling apart in seasons three and four.
- Glenn's breakdown in Spinners and Losers.
- The look on Terri's face when Glenn calls her useless. She was probably the only person in the office that liked him and looks very hurt by it.
- Watching Nicola's many failures, and the cruel treatment she receives from Malcolm throughout the series, even if it's justified for the most part.
- Especially the heartbroken way she says "You're not gonna try and talk me down off the ledge, are you? Because I'm so tired, and the pavement just looks like a warm, splatty bed right now" to Ollie after Ben resigns.
- In season four, Glenn's efforts to try and get back into the party, and the way Malcolm turns a begging Glenn down and Ollie just watches.
- At the Inquiry, the way Glenn apologizes for bringing Ollie into politics.
- The series' Downer Ending, with Nicola destroyed, Malcolm being forced to resign and facing a possible prison sentence, Ollie having pretty much sold his soul, Stewart being sacked and Glenn quitting as a last effort to redeem himself.
- Malcolm's exit.
"No, I want to say something, I want to say something." A long pause. "Doesn't matter." And then we're treated to a long close-up of his face with an "I'm fucked" look.
- Also, the final scene is rather wistful, in its way. Everything just carries on.
- And then there's Glenn's exit. While simultaneously awesome, it's still most likely in vain because he's probably going to end up following Malcolm to jail.
- The final line in the show sums it up perfectly: "What a shitty day."
- Malcolm's exit.