Tear Jerker: Gladiator
- Maximus passes away after killing Commodus, and is reunited with his wife and son in Elysium.
- "Go to them."
- Juba: "Now we are free. I will see you again... But not yet. Not yet..."
- The whole scene where Marcus Aurelius tells Commodus that he's going to make Maximus the emperor instead of him. What follows is, even considering what Commodus goes on to become, truly agonizing to watch.
Commodus: I searched the faces of the gods for ways to please you, to make you proud. One kind word, one full hug, where you pressed me to your chest and held me tight, would have been like a sun in my heart for a thousand years. What is it in me that you hate so much?
- Making it even worse is that he's absolutely correct about Marcus Aurelius' feelings toward him. As shown two scenes ago, Why Are You Not My Son? with Maximus is in full effect, and to go one further, even after hearing his son's breakdown, the most Aurelius can muster up is to take the blame for Commodus' failings as a son rather than do anything to actually reassure him.
- Proximo's death after he helps Maximus to escape. Even sadder when you realise that Oliver Reed died as well.