The Dark Matter
setting also called Dark•Matternote
was first published in 1999 for TSR's Alternity
RPG (itself an adaptation of 2nd edition D&D
rules to non-fantasy settings) then recycled for it's d20 Modern
RPG. This is a world where every
lunatic conspiracy theory
is true. There really are psychic grey aliens abducting humans
and mutilating cattle
. Illuminati type groups
really are working to bring the entire world under their control. Bigfoot
? He's out there too. And The Government
is covering it all up
. The players are field agents for the shadowy private organization known as the Hoffman Institute, devoted to investigating the activities of psychics, cultists, and "xenoforms" and protecting humankind from the tide of dark matter seeping into the fabric of the universe that's the ultimate cause of all things paranormal.
Dark•Matter Provides Examples Of:
- Apocalypse Cult: The Real Life Aum Shinri Kyo gets a write up.
- Area 51 is home to variety of research projects like the Aurora and reverse engineering alien ships including the ship from Roswell.
- Benevolent Conspiracy: Hoffman Institute.
- Bigfoot, Sasquatch and Yeti: Sasquatch are a Servant Race created by the greys from DNA from neanderthals or Gigantopithecus or some alien species. They have Chameleon Camouflage which explains how they are so hard to catch on camera.
- The Yetis are are a variant of Sasquatch found in the Himalayas.
- Brain Uploading: The first Internet Ghost was created when someone was experiementing with a neural array ment to replicate human thought processes. The processes is duplicates the conscious rather then changing it to digital form. The game leaves it open to if other internet ghosts are duplicating the orginal experiment or duplicating themselves.
- Conspiracy Kitchen Sink: The game even gives different options of exactly what the different conspiracies are really up to.
- Gaia's Vengeance: The Litterman is a creature made from a amalgam of garbage, slayin humans who despoil the planet. Capable disasembling ad resembling itself around garbage Littermen have killed people in situations that mistify the authoarties who believe that the slayings are the work of human Serial Killer.
- The Greys: One, disguised as a human called Dr. Itohiro Nakami founded the Hoffman Institute.
- Hand Of Glory: With added twist what a hand of glory does depends on what the original owner did such as thief makes people fall a sleep while a magicians hand makes the user smarter and more skilled at magic.
- Hollywood Satanism: The Final Church, THE worldwide conspiracy for demons and satanists. Basically, pretend that every paranoid rumor regarding Satanism was actually true, and you get the gist. There was even a web book devoted solely to the group at the end of The games run, and the group makes a comeback in the Menace Manual.
- The Illuminati: The orginal Bavarian Illuminati is referenced but the Illuminati term is used as a blanket term for the many groups that are know whats going on and have their own conspiracies including the Freemasons, CIA, the Bilderbergers, etc.
- Kill and Replace: Dopplegangers do this when deciding to imitate someone long term, usually to enjoy the wealth and perks that living that life may bring.
- The Knights Hospitallers: The Knights of Malta are one of the more noteworthy conspiracies in the setting.
- Humanshifting: Sandman have a limited ability to change their appearence there is also the dopplegangers from the Xenoform supplement who are of unknown origin even to themselves.
- Lucky Charms Title: Following the pattern set by the Star*Drive setting using punctuation in the middle of it's title.
- The Magic Comes Back: The level of supernatural activity on Earth is directly linked to the amount of dark matter in the universe, which is likened to a tide pool. The rising tide of dark matter, however, is not a good thing. Not only are many supernatural beings extremely dangerous, but previous risings of the tide have resulted in mass extinction events, as noted in the Mayan calendar.
- Mechanical Lifeforms: The Etoile are writhing mass of wires made of dark matter and exotic metals bearing a faint resemblence to metallic jellyfish.
- The Men in Black: Three explanations are provided including goverment agents, aliens disguised as humans (and doing a bad job of playing the part) or strange entities that are are attracted to paranormal events and the attempts to cover up events are actually a form of Reverse Psychology to get people to talk about these events. Oh any of these could be true, even multiple types at the same time.
- Multiple Choice Past: Most of the creatures are given vague or multiple origins to leave open story options.
- My Grandson Myself: Nakami pretends to be his own son to transfer the leadership position of Hoffman Institute without becoming suspicious, being a Grey who uses illusions to appear as a human.
- No Body Left Behind: Upon death the nanties within a Sandman disassemble the body into dust.
- No Water Proofing In The Future: Despite being an advance fusion of machine and biological material (which would contain water) the Sandman are damaged when immersed in conductive liquids.
- Our Angels Are Different: The Elohim are speculated to be a race that lived on earth before they transcended to another dimension. They appear as tall perfect humans but this seems A Form You Are Comfortable With other more biblical types have been seen such as a firey flying wheel or a pillar of fire but these still may not be their ture forms. They have a bit of a A God Am I complex around other races and they have the tech to back their attitude up. When they speak every listener understands reguardless of what language they understand which is rather impressive to the Greys. They also hate the luciferians and arcane magic users with a passion.
- Our Ghouls Are Creepier: After a few generations humans who engage in cannibalism degenerate into Ghouls. Ghouls have unnaturally sharp fingernails and stink of blood and decay. Forced to small pockets on the edge of society slacking their hunger from morgues or the occasional isolated person.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Ekimmu are puppeteer parasites that control the body through changing it's hosts body chemistry and genetics until the Ekimmu feels the host weakening then it transfers to a new host. The host undergoes a number of changes pale skin, bloodshot eyes, receding gumline, fingers becoming clawlike, baldness (they often wear a wig to hide this), antique speaking patterns, wearing old fashion clothes and of course a hunger for blood and flesh (though hosts that have listened to vampire legends restrict their diet to blood). Some of the hosts have higher body density that causes them to sink like stones (explaining the whole Cannot Cross Running Water thing).
- Right Wing Militia Fanatic: The Knights of Unity who draw their membership from rascist groups like the Aryan Nations, the KKK and the Posse Comitatus.
- Rupert Murdoch: News Corp merits a mention in the section on Australia section as an organization that the Hoffman Institute has to watch to stop them exposing extraterrestrials.
- Shout Out: The neural array that created the first Internet Ghost was dubbed in-universe as Hal by a sardonic researcher.
- Straw Feminist: In the CDC theres a group called the Gynarchy (the name really says it all). But if your interested what the Gynarchy is actually doing, they are looking to eliminate the need for sperm in the whole reproductive process because they think men are obsolete and once men are out of the equation women can rule the world.
- The Tunguska Event: Tunguska was the location of a Grey settlement until it came close to being found. Greys, not wanting to be found evacuated and then they redirected a comet to destory any remaining evidence but due to using a comet with the wrong composition it didn't destroy as much as they would have liked.
- United Nations Is A Super Power: True to Conspiracy Theory lore the united nations is working to create a One World Order with a secret army flying around in Black Helicopters. It also started to secretly settle the moon.
- Unwilling Roboticisation: The Etoile transform humans into what are called "Sandmen" fusing organic and metallic material via nanites. They use the sandmen to infiltrate the indrustial centres of earth and combat the enemies of the Etoile.