Shout Out / Hoofstuck
There are a boatload of references and Running Gags
taken from the source materials
. There are also some references to the MLP fandom itself (e.g. memes
, popular fanon, and background ponies
are listed here as well.
- The Fluttersleuth sequence is an homage to Problem Sleuth, the predecessor to Homestuck.
- Rarity finds Sparkler's name appealing "for some undefinable reason", a reference to the G1 pony Sparkler who Rarity was based on.
- A mysterious pony tries to remember Fluttershy's name — "Posie or something?" Again, a G1 reference.
- The Batterqueen's retinue are all old-generation ponies. In her challenge against Minty, she makes a magic heart-patterned candy cane, while Minty presents a sock. This is a reference to the direct-to-DVD movie A Very Minty Christmas.
- Non-pony mythology: For the baking competition, Love Lock hired an official time keeper. Said keeper is a curly-maned pony with a long scarf and hourglass cutiemark, aka the ponified Fourth Doctor, with the task of determining the best timed baker.
- Most of the Rainbow Ponies are G1 characters who appeared in the "Ember's Dream" cassette story. As for Rainbow Dash's "Aunt" Ember, her design is based on this one's◊.
- Ember and Velvet go way back.◊
- Shadow Lobster Kingpin is a play on Shadow Mobster Kingpin from the Problem Sleuth secret pages.
MLP Fandom Shout-Outs
- Applejack's Fetch Modus is based on Apples to Apples.
- Friendship specibi can potentially be set to sassygaykind. Also joeykind, monicakind, phoebekind, rachelkind, chandlerkind, and rosskind.
- Pokey Pierce is turned into Pokey the Penguin.
- Fluttershy recalls the story of Daring Do and the Lady and the Tiger.
- The time-travelling Mysterious Mare-Do-Well paraphrases Back to the Future Part II: "Third, if you ever have a daughter who, when she's eight years old, accidentally sets fire to the living room rug, go easy on her."
- Pinkie Pie has a variation of shinigami eyes, as shown when she's setting up the Pegasus Rescue Party. In her case, it shows a pony's name, description and time until their next birthday, rather than time until death.
- The rainbow ponies have a song about a naughty horse named Latawnya.
- Some writing on the wall can be seen here saying "The cakes are alive."
- LoSaD as a pony is known as "Sailor LoSaD". What does that remind you of?
- If you notice closely, on Twilight's cruxite artifact, you can see the Triforce — or something resembling it, anyway.
- "All you have to do is be that authority and say something simple like 'come with me if you want to live,' and they'll follow along without asking any time-wasting questions."
- These two pages include an obvious reference to The Simpsons in Berry Punch's lines.