Shout Out: Card Games
- Steve Jackson Game's Hacker includes a can of Jolt cola◊ on the box picture.
- The Collectible Card Game Magic: The Gathering likes to slip Shout Outs and in-jokes into the titles and art of its cards. Probably the most high-profile (that references something outside of M:tG itself anyway) is Nevinyrral's Disk. "Nevinyrral" is "Larry Niven" spelled backwards. Niven wrote a series of stories about magic as an exhaustible resource, the nature of which was proven in the story "The Magic Goes Away" by a wizard who enchanted a spinning disk in such a manner that it used up all the mana in its vicinity, exploding violently in the process.)
- There's also Time Warp. Flavor text: "Let's do (it) again!"
- The flavor text on the original Weatherlight version of Disrupt was "Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?"
- Innistrad is filled with these. Sure, we have some that only fall on "classical horror tropes" territory, but we have some really specific stuff as well, like a scientist that transforms on a insectoid monster due to an experiment gone wrong, a researcher that manages to transform his violent side into a brutish, monstruous alter-ego and a group of Defending garden plants that has protection from Zombies.
- The Star Wars Customizable Card Game is made of this trope: Smuggler's Blues obviously, but also Mostly Armless and Bionic Hand "We can make him better, stronger, faster."
- Yu-Gi-Oh! is absolutely loaded with Shout Outs to Konami games, mostly notably the Gradius archetype: so far, a card exists for the original ship, an upgraded version of same, the second player ship, the ships from Gradius Gaiden, most of the various ship bosses (complete with support card Boss Rush), the game's power-ups, at least three of the other various bosses, and at least five of the game's enemies. Plus, they synergize pretty well with the cards based on the protagonist ships in Xexex and Thunder Cross. And let's not even get into the set of Union Monsters based on Aitsu, Koitsu, Soitsu, and Doitsu...