is a science fiction Western television show that ran on UPN from April 18, 1995 until August 22, 1995. It was Richard Dean Anderson's first major role after the successful MacGyver
series, and also stars John de Lancie
Ernest Pratt, a dime-store novelist in the old west, lives with his scientist friend Professor Janos Bartok in the small town of Sheridan, Colorado. The people of Sheridan mistakenly believe that Pratt—a drinker, gambler, and womanizer—is the audacious and pure hero of his novels, Nicodemus Legend. Bartok and his associate, Ramos, convince Pratt to assume the Legend persona while supplying him with Legend-like futuristic gadgets that they invent. Together, Bartok and the reluctant Pratt (as Legend), adventure throughout the west solving mysteries, capturing wrong-doers, and even making scientific discoveries.
Legend contains examples of:
- Actor Role Confusion: Or 'author-character confusion' in this case.
- Cattle Punk
- Dime Novel: Naturally.
- Frothy Mugs of Water: Since everyone in Sheridan knows that Nicodemus Legend is a teetotaler, the only way Ernest Pratt can get his whisky is to drink it out of a teacup.
- Giver of Lame Names: Bartok gives overly long names for his inventions.
- Gossip Evolution: A bank robber once nearly got caught because his horse balked in front of a woman crossing the street and wouldn't move until she'd passed. Witnesses thought that the robber had done it deliberately. Within a few weeks, the story had changed to the robber actively helping the lady across the street, and then to him giving her some of the loot to pay for her children's education. Eventually the robber decided that he liked being thought of as a Gentleman Thief and started acting the role.
- It Will Never Catch On: A woman tells the protagonist Ernest Pratt her life story, which sounds remarkably similar to Gone with the Wind. When Pratt's friend says it would make a good story for the dime novels he writes, Pratt replies that it would never sell.
- Safecracking: Janos tries to blow a safe using nitroglycerin. The safe goes through the roof of the bank and lands in the stable next door.
- Stealth Pun: John DeLancie as the Gadgeteer Genius who makes all the gizmos the hero uses. In other words, Q plays Q.
- Steam Punk