was a Canadian Soap Opera
and Teen Drama
created by Linda Schuyler (the same woman who created Degrassi The Next Generation
). Lead character Jude Harrison, an amatuer singer-songwriter musician, wins an American Idol
-type competition and recording contract and is instantly thrust into the world of celebrity and fame. She has to overcome problems with both her personal and professional life, such as her parents' divorce and maintaining her career and pleasing her record label.
The show, like Degrassi
, is very much like a Soap Opera
, oftentimes outdoing Degrassi
with completely outlandish plots and characters. But also like Degrassi
, it is balanced with a teenage realism and feel. The soundtrack to the series is pure teen pop, which pretty much makes this show the ultimate Guilty Pleasure
. It aired on The N, now known as TeenNick
, from 2004-2008 in the United States.
This TV show has examples of the following:
- Adam Westing — Stacey Farber and Aubrey "Drake" Graham guest starred as themselves on one episode. The show has also had fun with the Degrassi cast members in some commercials, such as this one.
- The Alcoholic — Patsy, and that leads her to her demise.
- Alpha Bitch — Karma.
- Animal Wrongs Group — Jude had red paint thrown at her while wearing a fur coat by a PETA Captain Ersatz group.
- Asian Airhead — Karma, the type one "Trixie Tang."
- Bittersweet Ending — Jude accepts a record contract in London, and the future looks bright for her — unfortunately, she breaks up with Tommy and chooses her music over him.
- Black Best Friend — Kat
- Boy Band — Tommy was part of Boyz Attack, an old 90s boy band. He doesn't like to be reminded of that, as he's moving on to be a top producer.
- Break the Cutie: Jude's life kind of sucks, especially in the first season.
- The Cast Showoff — Well, it's a show about a record company so there's bound to be a couple.
- Cool Big Sis — Sadie
- Divorce Assets Conflict — Jude and Sadie's parents divorced in the second season and this was the cause for much stress for Jude.
- Guilty Pleasure — Defined.
- Fiery Redhead — Jude. The actress Alexz Johnson's hair is naturally blond though, and in season 2, she went with the blond look.
- Hey, It's That Place! — The school interiors are the same ones used for Degrassi, shot with a blue filter.
- Killed Off for Real — Patsy.
- Left Hanging — The show's fourth season was planned to be the end, but a lot of plot threads weren't closed, most likely leaving those open for a possible fifth season. It didn't happen.
- Love Triangle — Jude, Tommy and Jamie. This was the driving force for much of the show.
- Meaningful Name — Jude and Sadie Harrison.
- Music Is Politics
- Pass the Popcorn: Jude is seen eating from a bowl of popcorn while Tommy talks to an bandmate who he doesn't get along with
- Put on a Bus — Jude's friend Kat appeared sporadically in the second season before heading out on a Long Bus Trip.
- The Jail Bait Wait — Jude and Tommy...
- Ship Sinking — The two Jude ships Jude/Tommy and Jude/Jamie were torpedoed in the last season, much to the fans' chagrin.
- Show Within a Show — The Instant Star competition, which is obviously modeled after American Idol.
- Straight Gay — Instant Star winner #2 Mason, who is a a country music singer.
- Yandere — Megan, in the show's fourth season.