Series: Breaker High
Na Na,Na Na Na, Hey Hey, Carry me away...Breaker High was a Canadian Teen Drama/Sitcom that aired from 1997 to 1998 for 40 episodes on UPN (in the U.S.) and YTV (in Canada). The show was about a high school on a cruise ship, and each episode took place in a different location around the world (though the show was filmed entirely in Burnaby, B.C.)The show focused on eight students at the school:
- Alex Pineda - The athlete. Played by Kyle Alisharan.
- Ashley Dupree - The Southern Belle Princess. Played by Terri Conn.
- Cassidy Cartwright - The preppy tomboy hottie. Played by Wendi Kenya.
- Jimmy Farrell - The big eater/class clown. Played by Tyler Labine.
- Max Ballard - The brooding, moody son of the ship's captain. Played by Scott Vickaryous.
- Denise Williams - The academic overachiever/Feminist. Played by Persia White.
- Tamira Goldstein - The quirky misfit/Flower child.
- Sean Hanlon - The ladies' man/Nerd. Played by Ryan Gosling. One of his earliest recurring roles on television.
Breaker High contains examples of the following tropes:
- Academy of Adventure: The Ship.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Ashley, Tamira and Cassidy all expressed interest in Max at different points in the series.
- Alliterative Name: Cassidy Cartwright.
- Big Eater: Jimmy.
- Born in the Wrong Century: With his fashion and tastes, Sean would've fit in more during the Rat Pack days.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: Max with all of the other girls crushing on him, but especially Tamira.
- Casanova Wannabe: Sean, Alex at times.
- Catch Phrase: Jimmy: "That's gonna need some ice!"
- Canada, Eh?: Though each episode took place in a different location, the series was filmed entirely in Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada. Played with in the episode taking place in Prince Edward Island, where Jimmy confuses a pair of Canadian hockey players with Bob and Doug-esque Canadian terms:Player 1: What did he just say?Player 2: I dunno. must be some sort of weird American slang.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Tamira's crush on Max for a good portion of the series. This trope resulted in Cassidy beating Tamira out for Max, which jeopardized their friendship for a few episodes.
- Cool Boat
- Cool Loser: Sean. The guy is played by Ryan Gosling and for a good chuck of the series, could not get the girl.
- Determinator: Tamira, in regards to getting on the ship. In "The Son Ahso Rises," she tells Max that she worked for two summers to raise her half of the tuition to come on Breaker High.
- Did Not Get the Girl: Poor Sean can never get the girl.
- High School
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Max.
- New-Age Retro Hippie: Tamira.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Jimmy.
- Preacher's Kid: Jimmy, based on a flashback. It's heavily implied his parents put him on the boat in an attempt to straighten him out. More embarassing than rebellious.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Capt. Ballard and Miss Mitchell.
- Soapbox Sadie: Denise.
- Southern Belle: Ashley.
- Teen Drama
- The Nineties: Oh so much so. Most pop culture references quickly date the series.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Cassidy is the tomboy while Ashley is the girly girl.
- Troubled, but Cute: Max.