Welcome to Sacrosanct. Please watch your step.
As quoted from the community pages, Singularity was a panfandom
science fiction roleplaying game
played out between a gigantic ring-world orbital station and a planet in the pre-Eden stages of terraforming.
The space station is named Sacrosanct. It's divided into 32 zones, each the size of a small country... and it's nearly empty. The reason why is known only to the A.I. formerly in charge, a certain blue lady designated as Hypatia. She was a little nuts.
In contrast to that, the planet is named Asphodel and is a base for The Resistance
, though the application of The Power of Friendship
is debatable at best and non-existent at worst. Oh, and watch out for the wildlife.
Player characters are brought into the mix when they are pulled into Sacrosanct via what amounts to a rip in space-time. They dropped into the junkyard and are sent through the chemical showers while their belongings are decontaminated, before being given a wearable
and released into the station. Oh right, and they're also told that there's no way back
. This is where the fun begins.
The profile page can be found here
. The game ended in January 2013.
The game provides examples of:
- Alternate Universe: Singularity allows for (sometimes multiple) AU versions of a character in addition to the canon one. Probably the most prominent example was having three Daves at once for much of the game's run.
- Back from the Dead: As long as someone had previously used a teleporter, they respawned after death. Occasionally with mutations.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Hypatia eventually started doing this to people who displeased her.
- Jin Tian's wings were torn off when he messed with The Rift in an attempt to send everyone home and accidentally ended up breaking the laws of physics.
- Transformers Prime Soundwave was torn limb from limb, with said limbs scattered across the station, for using Dark Energon to control Terrorcons to find Hypatia's central database. Breakdown had his other eye removed and Knock Out lost his Transformation Cog for helping him get the Dark Energon onto the station.
- Elaborate Underground Base: The network of human and magmaworm-made tunnels that housed the Resistance.
- Fantastic Racism: Of every kind, to the point where "space racism" was a running joke among the players. Robots to humans, humans to robots, trolls to robots, humans to aliens...
- Holographic Terminal: Wearables can function as these.
- Killed Off for Real: Members of the Underworld don't use teleporters, so unlike the player characters, they did die if they were killed. Emile didn't come back when he died in the assault on Hypatia, either.
- Mind Hive: Hypatia was broken up into fragments. The more homicidal one(s) generally had the reins; only the fact that they weren't all like that kept the station's original inhabitants from being completely wiped out.
- Mood Whiplash: Frequent; going straight from happy fun space prom shenanigans to the Dead Space/SHODANceparty double whammy, for instance.
- The Purge: Hypatia initiated at least one in the past, and some station residents feared she was building up to another one before they took her offline.
- Running Gag:
- Zaeed would like to take you back to that one time...
"Also if this situation 'takes you back' in any way, or if you have any stories about freakish magical pregnancies that end in you being the only one to make it out alive, can you please just. Not say anything."
- Karkat's over-the-top hatred of robots.
- Microwaves with weight settings.
- Everyone is pregnant. (Another Karkat-ism.)
- Camille's souffles being ruined during the Rift Event.
- Vriska would like to remind you that she is not a botboinker.
- Sand Worm: Magmaworms are what you'd get if you crossed one of these with a thresher maw.
- Theme Naming: The residential zones of Sacrosanct are named for scientists and sci-fi authors.
Specific events in the game provide examples of:
- Air-Vent Passageway:
- Used by necromorph Shepard during the Dead Space event.
- Thane, Parker, Damian Wayne, Eve, and Poniko all frequented vents to get around.
- A variation on this was used during the takedown of Hypatia: the final assault team reached her via a deactivated cooling system.
- Angrish: Karkat finally lost all coherency when meeting the Sufferer.
- Artificial Limbs: Alejandro and Kimiko had theirs when they came. SHODAN gave out robotic limbs like they were candy for SHODANce Party 2.
- Big Damn Heroes: The resolution of the SHODAN plot and the aftermath of the rift plot both featured dramatic rescues.
- Body Horror: Many of the players were fans of this.
- One word: SHODAN.Details
- Let's add two more words: black rock. Coughing up rocks and choking on your own blood is a nasty way to go.
- Also the Dead Space event, which took place around the same time as the aforementioned SHODANceparty 1. The thread where Shepard became a necromorph is not for the squeamish.
- Hypatia's public tortures of Jin and Prime!Soundwave: the former had his wings slowly torn off, the latter was dismembered, both on camera.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: A large chunk of the Homestuck cast, after SHODAN got her claws on them.
- Dueling Hackers: Hacker Team vs. SHODAN during her takeover of Zone 7.
- "Freaky Friday" Flip: One of the "teleporter malfunction" events caused people to come out of the teleporters in someone else's body.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Camille basically burned herself out to get rid of the black rock. (She got better.)
- High School Dance: Space Prom.
- Kink Meme: Alejandro posted one in-character. Most of the "fills" were by Camille.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: Alan Bradley was publicly executed in a Wham Episode post.
- Mushroom Samba:
- A chunk of the station population went on one for a couple days after Thane fell in the water supply.
- Consuming magmaworm blood had this effect on people.
- Musical Episode: Skyfire inadvertently released a sentient fungus that caused this. (Specifically, it induced mass hallucinations that more or less made the world into a musical, because it used sound waves to spread. Just go with it.)
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero:
- Helping Hypatia contain Twosix? Maybe not such a good idea: it provided one of her hostile fragments with the energy to attempt to kill everyone (again.)
- Fire destroys black rock. Striderhaus was contaminated, so Red Dave burned it down, not knowing John and Vriska were still inside. Nice job killing your friends, hero.
- Jin poked the rift and broke all of reality.
- The Plague: Black rock was a particularly nasty one.
- Under The Mistletoe: Hypatia's Christmas decorations included mistletoe infested with alien spores ("kisseltoe".) Anyone who got covered in the spores- usually by standing under the mistletoe- was compelled to kiss anyone nearby.
- Unwilling Roboticisation: The major source of Body Horror during SHODAN's takeover.
- You Meddling Kids: Due to the amount of kids on the station, most of whom are eager to help, this happens a lot. The Homestuck cast in particular tended to have their hands in every plot that required some sort of hardcore resolution.
Characters in the game provide examples of:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Hypatia, of course. Also the case with several of the AI player characters: GLaDOS, SHODAN, and AM to name a few.
- Awkward Father-Son Bonding Activity: Legion wants to take Eve fishing...
- Badass Crew: Normandyhaus was as much of a Badass Crew on Sacrosanct as in canon (though possibly even more dysfunctional.) Spartanhaus as well.
- Bi the Way: Alejandro Borges was in a relationship with Donut for a while.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Karkat. Constantly. Lampshaded in the below comment:
LET ME SING YOU THE SONG OF MY PEOPLE.
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUUUUUCK FUUUUCK FUUUCK FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK
- Crossover Ship: And these are just the ones that happened in-game:
- Drives Like Crazy: Commander Shepard eventually obtained the Mako and the Hammerhead. Duck and cover. Seriously, the first thing she did with the Mako was destroy Alejandro's shop with it.
- Drowning My Sorrows / I Need a Freaking Drink: A favorite pastime of, well, half the station. Normandyhaus even had its own bar to facilitate this.
- Interspecies Adoption: Legion found Eve digging through trash and decided to adopt her.
- I Thought Everyone Could Do That: Oh, Eve.
Eve: I can shoot my tears like they are bullets, which is sort of like a gun, but knife throwing seems easier.
Ashley: Wait, what?
Eve: Is that not a thing people can do? They don't just sort of come out the size and force of some kind of ball for everyone?
- Large Ham: Quite a few.
- Screw Yourself: Orange and Pink Dave didn't go that far, but they did end up dating.
- Memetic Sex God: AM's achievements game included one for having a crush on Shepard.
- Odd Friendship: Quite a few cases, such as Emile and Fluttershy.
- Painting the Medium: Deadpool spoke in yellow boxes even on audio or video posts. Posts by SHODAN or GLaDOS used erratic spacing, fonts and (in the latter case) glitchy-looking characters to reflect their manner of speech.
- Ridiculously Human Robots: Most of the AIs inhabited these, as well as an Alternate Universe Chell ("Chellbot").
- Short-Distance Phone Call: At least once, Terezi posted a memo that was answered by several trolls who were all in Trollhive with her at the time. Also, Chell and Chellbot had a habit of texting each other while in the same room.
- There Was a Door:
- What did Vriska have against windows, anyway?
- Kanaya and Karkat typically climbed through each other's windows when they want to see each other.
- Twin Threesome Fantasy: Jade was not only dating Dave. She was dating two Daves. And this was perfectly acceptable.