We Are Shipwrecked On An Island started as a forum game, to be a serious, survival game after the Our Plane Crashed Into an Island thread devolved into silliness and absurdity. It is currently under RP's and is lead by pvtnum 11
. It was intended to be a play-as-yourself type of thing, but some leeway has been given.
Can be found here
. Has pretty much passed into stalled status, as we might have written ourselves out of useful plot. Ah, it was fun while it lasted.
Background: A handful of Tropers managed to end up on a budget cruise ship in the South Pacific, touring the French Polynesian Island group, when a rogue wave collided with the ship. As a safety measure, the crew put the passengers in lifeboats, but managed to become separated from our repsective families or groups, and ended up together. The situation went from bad to worse once the life boats and life rafts were actually cast off from the ship, and the life raft became separated from the rest. A day or so later, the raft washes ashore on the Atoll of Maupihaa
, on the southern tip of the eastern islet.
For the trope related to characters being shipwrecked on an island, see Robinsonade
The following characters were present in the raft when it came ashore:
Two other survivors washed ashore separately and were found shortly later, both female:
- Charlotte (goes by Charlie) - A 22 year old medical student
It was soon discovered that the islet was recently inhabited, but the sole occupant is a teenaged girl, Billie
, who had been there for five years, and by herself for four of them.
Around the third day, a private plane, while assisting in the search and rescue operation for the cruise ship disaster, lands on the atoll, but suffers a catastrophic failure and burns to the ground. Its pilot and only occupant, Fusch
, has been stuck with the other survivors since.
After a week, some of the island's dark secrets begin to come to light. One of those secrets, the fact that the island is used as a hiding spot for heroin and other illicit drugs, ends up with many of the survivors being shot. Some are killed, as well.
Tropes in this work:
- Anyone Can Die
- Abusive Parents: Scott's mom is extremley negligent.
- All Just a Dream: The raiders.
- Bittersweet Ending
- Blood from the Mouth: Egon, after getting shot in the chest.
- Canon Discontinuity: The reason All Just a Dream was invoked.
- Character Development: Pretty unavoidable in a long-running RPG.
- Driven to Suicide: Scott.
- Dysfunction Junction: Almost everyone on the Atoll is screwed up mentally in some way. The stress of trying to survive doesn't help.
- From Bad to Worse: Hope builds as the group finds an abandoned house. It quickly fades when Marty gets tore up in a booby trap. How did it get worse? With crude living conditions, some of his wounds get infected. Then it gets worse again - the infection starts to mess with his delicate hold on sanity. Finally, he snaps and begins to harm some members of the party. If the infection doesn't do him in, someone else will. Wait, it gets worse again: He acquires a gun. Oh wait, it gets worse again: He knows the Drug Runners who mucked up the island.
- Heroic BSOD: Scott, when Egon tells him Egon's wife and daughter died.
- They're not, but Egon doesn't know that. All he can do is hope.
- Hollywood CB: Played straight initially, then averted after the tropical storm messes up every island in the area. At least the rest of civilization knows that they're alive.
- Hope Spot: Egon's belief that his wife and daughter managed to survive the mishap, without any proof one way or another.
- Mood Whiplash: Egon cooking dinner, then someone goes stark raving crazy on the spot.
- Nietzsche Wannabe: Scott.
- Only Sane Man: Egon, Quant, and perhaps Jay. Lampshaded several times.
- Parental Abandonment : Billie, as all of her family were murdered in front of her eyes.
- Precision F-Strike: Charlie, usually after something odd happens.
- Also Fusch, if a plan of his falls apart.
- Properly Paranoid: Charlie despite having no proof.
- Running Gag: Fusch leaving the others to go off and do something he needs to do urgently.
- Sanity Slippage: Pretty much everybody
- Shout-Out: Scott delivers many, mostly to old songs like One (Is The Loneliest Number), Singin' In The Rain, Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring, ect.
- Skeletons in the Coat Closet: Bones
- Squick: Scott giving Billie the talk.
- Taking A Third Option: Given the choice between knocking Marty out to administer first-aid or having to dig up a feasible Doctor's costume, Egon decides to lace Marty's food with some old antibiotics.
- It would seem it doesn't work.
- Tear Jerker: The deaths of Scott and Billie.
- Egon saying goodbye to Charlie.
- WHAM Episode: Scott's suicide.