Ride: Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts
You'd better hang on.Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts
is a roller coaster ride that serves as the centerpiece attraction to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Diagon Alley
at Universal Studios Florida
. The ride is set directly during the events of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
when Harry, Ron, and Hermione are breaking into Bellatrix's vault. The story of the ride involves the guests going down into the Gringotts Wizarding Bank, to find their respective vault. However, they run into Bellatrix, who initially believes that they are responsible for breaking into her vault. The riders are then sent into pure mayhem as the main trio along with Bill Weasley, desperately attempt to rescue them.
The attraction opened on July 8th, 2014, along with the rest of the aforementioned Diagon Alley area, replacing the former JAWS
Tropes shown in Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts include:
- 3-D Movie: And the very first one to combined with a roller coaster.
- Adaptation Expansion: The entire ride expands upon the events at the bank, and unlike Forbidden Journey, the riders involvement in the story appears to be canon.
- Big Bad: Bellatrix and Voldemort.
- Big Damn Heroes: Harry, Ron, Hermione, and the dragon are this in the finale.
- Death Glare: Voldemort gives a particularly creepy one to the riders as Bellatrix is making the vehicles go backwards.
- Disney Villain Death: Happens to one of the security trolls.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: The bank's security trolls spin the ride vehicle as they push it away.
- Fireballs: Voldemort forms one together and sends it towards the riders, only for it to be stopped by the dragon.
- Hope Spot: A goblin directs the riders towards a room, stating that they'll be safe in there. Voldemort and Bellatrix just so happen to blast their way into this room.
- Justin Time: When Bill Weasley saves the riders from plummeting to their doom and when the trio just narrowly save them from being tortured by Voldemort.
- Kill It with Fire: Voldemort's living skull-like fireball is destroyed by the dragon's...fire. Talk about fighting fire with fire, huh?
- Nice Job Breaking It, Heroes: Harry, Ron, and Hermione first show up to give Bill Weasley orders to get the riders out safely, but their presence alerts the security trolls, who attack the riders and split them up from Bill.
- Oh, Crap: Numerous instances of this here.
- Bellatrix zapping the ride vehicle and preparing to send it down to its doom. The vehicle actually tilts downwards for a few seconds before dropping down.
- The first appearance of the bank's security trolls.
- The riders being knocked over a cliff.
- Voldemort's attempt to painfully torment the riders via fire.
- Scenery Porn: As with Forbidden Journey, the queue line for this ride probably stands as one of the greatest theme park examples of such.
- Villain Exit Stage Left: When faced with the sheer size and literal firepower of the dragon, Voldemort and Bellatrix are quick to turn into black smoke and flee.
- Why Won't You Die?: At one point, Bellatrix exclaims to the riders, "I thought I got rid of you, muggle-borns!?"