Recap / The Three Stooges Disorder In The Court
The Three Stooges
are key witnesses at the murder trial of Kirk Robin. Their friend and colleague, Gail Tempest (Suzanne Kaaren), is a dancer at the Black Bottom cafe where the Stooges are musicians, and is the prime suspect in the murder. The Stooges are the only ones who can prove her innocence. Hilarity and Courtroom Antics ensue
The short is one of the four in the public domain
, and thus is usually included in cheap video collections, making it perhaps one of the best known Stooge shorts. It is the only Curly short to have fallen into the public domain.
- Close-Call Haircut: The prosecutor gets one after Curly accidentally shoots a gun.
- Courtroom Antics
- Courtroom Episode
- Dashingly Dapper Derby/Nice Hat: Curly's "doiby".
- Dumbass Has a Point: Moe is the first to point out the pile of letters that Polly has been referring to.
- Duck Season, Rabbit Season: This exchange:
Prosecutor: Take off your hat. [Curly does so.] Now Raise your right hand. [Curly puts his hat back on and does so] Now put your left hand here [he points to the book he's holding. Curly does puts his cane in his right hand and puts his hand there]
Judge: Take off your hat. [Curly does so, putting his right hand down in the process]
Prosecutor: Raise your right hand.
[This continues until Curly puts his hat on his cane (which is still in his right hand) and raises his right hand.
Prosecutor: Will you get rid of that hat? [Grabs it off Curly's cane, only for Curly to grab it and put it on the Prosecutor's head]
Curly: Raise your right hand.
[Prosecutor does so, but puts it down when he realizes what Curly just did]
Prosecutor: Raise your right hand!
- Fanservice: Gail Tempest's dancing outfit shows off her legs, and has a collar that stops just above her cleavage. Naturally, some of the people in attendance can't take their eyes off her, including an elderly, apparently married man.
- Hypocritical Humor: After giving his witness account in very... unusual language, the defendant tells Curly to talk so the jury can understand him. Curly belts out "Is everybody dumb?!"
- Reasonable Authority Figure: The judge, who maintains his calm in the face of Stooge stupidity.
- iSophagus: When the stooges are reenacting a musical performance during the trial, Curly slaps Moe on the back causing him to swallow a harmonica. They then find that when they press on Moe's stomach they can hear the harmonica, and soon Curly and Larry begin to make Moe play "Ach Du Lieber Augustine" by pumping his arm and squeezing his stomach, before he coughs the harmonica up.
- Juggling Loaded Guns: A gun is introduced as evidence. Curly is told to try to pull the incredibly rusty trigger, after being told "Never fear, it's not loaded." After one harmless click, he then accidentally shoots off the prosecutor's toupee when his finger gets stuck in the trigger guard.
- Literal-Minded: Curly, all the way through the short.
Judge: Take the stand.
Curly, picking up the chair at the witness box: Where do I put it?
Judge: No no, take the stand!
Curly: I got it, now what do I do with it?
Lawyer: SIT DOWN!
- Motor Mouth: The prosecutor, Played for Laughs, of course.
Prosecutor: Do you solemnly swear totellthetruthwholetruthandnothingbutthetruth?
Prosecutor: Do you solemnly swear totellthetruththewholetruthandnothingbutthetruth?!
Curly: Are you trying to give me double-talk?
Prosecutor (quite irritated now): Do you soleml swear totellthetruththewholetruthandnothingbutthetruth?!
Judge: Why don't you answer him?
- Tap on the Head: Curly knocks out several members of the jury with a hammer to the head while chasing after a parrot.
- Smoking Gun: A parrot is discovered in the course of the trial with a letter tied to its leg, revealing the true killer and freeing Gail Tempest.
- Who's on First?: A brief example:
: Mr. Howard, kindly tell the court what you know about the murder of Kirk Robin. Curly
: Well, it was like this, Mr. Court— Attourney
]: Address the judge as "Your Honour!" Curly
: Well, it was like this, My Honour— Attourney
]: "Your Honour," not "My Honour"! Curly
: Why? Don'tcha like 'im? Judge
: Allow the witness to continue!
The court understands him.