Recap: The Simpsons S 21 E 16 The Greatest Story Ever Dohed
Ned Flanders offers to take Homer and his family to Israel in hopes to save his soul, but he gets more than he bargained for when Homer gets lost in the desert and the resulting dehydration makes him believe he is the Messiah.
This episode contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Dorit.
- All Jews Are Ashkenazi
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Ned learns this.
- Comically Missing the Point: When Homer tries to quench his thirst by drinking from the dead sea, he finds it far to salty to do so. He tries to fix this problem by 'adding even more salt' from his pocket.
- Crossing the Desert and Thirsty Desert: Homer crosses the desert alone, thinking that Ned Flanders went there.
- Egocentrically Religious: Jakob the tour guide is pretty condescending and disrespectful towards other religions.
- Just a Kid: Bart learns Dorit was trained in Israeli sport of Krav Maga... the hard way.
- Badass Israeli: Dorit pretty much can take care of herself.
- Global Ignorance: Tour guide Jacob claims "Israel is the safest country in the world."
- Groin Attack: Dorit and Lisa kicking Bart in the groin. There were FCC complaints about that part and TV Tropes' own "Dethroning Moment of Suck" page has cited this as one of the show's many, many low points note
- My Country Tis of Thee That I Sting:Homer: "Ned, I'm an American tourist. I'm just here to see some sights, try goofy new food and spread some shekels with my Carolina Panthers credit card."
- National Stereotypes: Israel is mostly shown as a country full of Jewish people. Jakob the tour guide is portrayed as being pushy, arrogant and into haggling. He also references a lot of Jewish products like falafels. He and Dorit are both military skilled. Only near the end we see some native Christians and Muslims. Specific references to Israel are Masada, Mount Zion, King David's Tomb, the Armenian quarter, the Wailing Wall, the Israeli combat sport Krav Maga, the Ark of the Convenant, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and the Dome of the Rock.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: "Homer Simpson, you are not...worth...saving."
- Rage Breaking Point: Ned when he sees Homer resting on Jesus' tomb and thinking Porky Pig is buried there
- Special Guest: Sacha Baron Cohen (aka Borat, Ali G.) as Jacob the tour guide.
- Truth in Television: Jerusalem Syndrome (deluding yourself into thinking you're the Messiah) is a real delusion.Bart: Have you ever noticed that Dad always gets the diseases they write about in the in-flight magazine?
- Vacation Episode: The Simpsons travel to Israel.