Ned Flanders offers to take Homer and his family to Israel in hopes to save his soul, but he gets more than he bargained for when Homer gets lost in the desert and the resulting dehydration makes him believe he is the Messiah.
!!This episode contains examples of:
* ActionGirl: Dorit.
* BeCarefulWhatYouWishFor: Ned learns this.
* ComicallyMissingThePoint: When Homer tries to quench his thirst by drinking from the Dead Sea, he finds it far too salty to do so. He tries to fix this problem by ''adding even more salt'' from his pocket.
* CrossingTheDesert and ThirstyDesert: Homer crosses the desert alone, thinking that Ned Flanders went there.
* EgocentricallyReligious: Jakob the tour guide is pretty condescending and disrespectful towards other religions.
* GlobalIgnorance: Tour guide Jacob claims "Israel is the safest country in the world."
* GroinAttack: Dorit and Lisa kicking Bart in the groin. There were FCC complaints about that part and Wiki/TVTropes' own "Dethroning Moment of Suck" page has cited this as one of the show's many, many low points [[note]]though given that Bart was once driven to suicide over the entire town hating him (as seen in "Boys of Bummer," why would Bart getting kicked in the groin be considered ''worse'' than that?[[/note]]
* JustAKid: Bart learns Dorit was trained in Israeli sport of Krav Maga... the hard way.
** BadassIsraeli: Dorit pretty much can take care of herself.
--> ''Homer'': "Ned, I'm an American tourist. I'm just here to see some sights, try goofy new food and spread some shekels with my Carolina Panthers credit card."
* NationalStereotypes: Israel is mostly shown as a country full of Jewish people. Jakob the tour guide is portrayed as being [[JewsLoveToArgue pushy, arrogant and into haggling]]. He also references a lot of Jewish products like falafels. He and Dorit are both military skilled. Only near the end we see some native Christians and Muslims. Specific references to Israel are Masada, Mount Zion, King David's Tomb, the Armenian quarter, the Wailing Wall, the Israeli combat sport Krav Maga, the Ark of the Convenant, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and the Dome of the Rock.
* PunctuatedForEmphasis: "Homer Simpson, you are not...worth...saving."
* RageBreakingPoint: Ned when he sees Homer resting on Jesus' tomb and thinking WesternAnimation/PorkyPig is buried there
** When The Simpsons arrive in Israel they see a man playing a fiddle on a rooftop. This is a reference to Film/FiddlerOnTheRoof.
** The music during Homer's desert crossing is from Maurice Jarré 's soundtrack to Film/LawrenceOfArabia.
** Characters from WesternAnimation/VeggieTales appear during Homer's hallucination.
* SpecialGuest: Sacha Baron Cohen (aka Borat, Ali G.) as Jacob the tour guide.
* TruthInTelevision: Jerusalem Syndrome (deluding yourself into thinking you're the Messiah) is a real delusion.
-->'''Bart:''' Have you ever noticed that Dad always gets the diseases they write about in the in-flight magazine?
* VacationEpisode: The Simpsons travel to Israel.
* WereStillRelevantDammit:[[invoked]] At the beginning of the episode, Ned learns that Jimbo is uninterested in the bible study due to not having modern technology, so he does a half-assed attempt to pander to him ("Mouse pad! Double click! Skype, Skype!"). Once he has gained Jimbo's attention, Ned continues the study as if he didn't resort to this.