Homer ends up enlisted in the U.S. Army after trying to get his kids out of a recruiting deal.
Note: This page is still in progress.
- Armed Farces
- Continuity Nod: Mention of Homer's time in the Navy in "Simpson Tide".
- Credits Gag: The colonel places everyone listed in the credits to front-line infantry (except guest voice Kiefer Sutherland, who is placed in the coast guard).
- Cruella to Animals: Krusty is shown getting red paint splashed on his fur coat by Lisa and putting on a panda skin coat, panda cub slippers and monkey mittens.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: The colonel (voiced by Kiefer Sutherland).
- Insane Admiral: The Army Colonel gives his men real ammunition for the drill with the intent of actually killing Homer and the others he finds to worthless to be soldier's. He declares martial law on Springfield to find them and rounds up any man who even vaguely fits Homer's description
- Insistent Terminology: When the fat/bald people are rounded up, Superintendent Chalmers complains that he's just balding.Chalmers: Does anybody appreciate the "ding"?Skinner: I appreciate the "ding", sir.
- Mandatory Line: Lisa doesn't have a major role in this episode because she's at a PETA protest.
- Oh Crap!: Bart and Milhouse when the bullies no longer have to refrain from picking on them.
- Recycled Script: Family Guy did this same plot just one week earlier, which Stewie and Brian joining the Army trying to get Chris out.
- Series Continuity Error: One of the biggest. In one scene, Lenny is talking to a soldier and is half-crushed by a tank. It then cuts to inside Moe's Tavern, where Lenny is seen fine and unscathed.
- Shout-Out: The song played during the recruitment video is "Arise Ye Russian People" from Alexander Nevsky, a patriotic Russian film with an epic soundtrack composed by Sergei Prokofiev.
- Take That: Basically, this episode says that "Springfield is the dumbest city in America and even they're too smart for the Army".
- That's All, Folks!: Seen at the end of the Looney Tunes chase parody.
- Where the Hell Is Springfield?: According to the army soldiers who try and fail to convince the bullies to join, Springfield is in America's dumbest state.