Homer ends up enlisted in the U.S. Army after trying to get his kids out of a recruiting deal.
* ArmedFarces: Homer is put in charge of the stupidest corp to make the military look good when they use them as enemy.
* ContinuityNod: Mention of Homer's time in the Navy in "Simpson Tide".
* CreditsGag: The colonel places everyone listed in the credits to front-line infantry (except guest voice Kiefer Sutherland, who is placed in the coast guard).
* CruellaToAnimals: Krusty is shown getting red paint splashed on his fur coat by Lisa and putting on a panda skin coat, panda cub slippers and monkey mittens.
%% * DrillSergeantNasty: The colonel (voiced by Kiefer Sutherland).
* InsaneAdmiral: The Army Colonel gives his men real ammunition for the drill with the intent of actually killing Homer and the others he finds too worthless to be soldier's. He declares martial law on Springfield to find them and rounds up any man who even vaguely fits Homer's description
* InsistentTerminology: When the fat/bald people are rounded up, Superintendent Chalmers complains that he's just balding.
-->'''Chalmers:''' Does anybody appreciate the "ding"?
-->'''Skinner:''' I appreciate the "ding", sir.
* MandatoryLine: Lisa doesn't have a major role in this episode because she's at a PETA protest.
* OhCrap: Bart and Milhouse when they find out the bullies no longer have to refrain from picking on them.
* ReadTheFinePrint: The Colonel carries around the National Broccoli Day proclamation around, because it gives him permission to ''invade American cities whenever he damn well feels like it''.
* SeriesContinuityError: One of the biggest. In one scene, Lenny is talking to a soldier and is half-crushed by a tank. It then cuts to inside Moe's Tavern, where Lenny is seen fine and unscathed.
* ShoutOut: The song played during the recruitment video is "Arise Ye Russian People" from ''Film/AlexanderNevsky'', a patriotic Russian film with an epic soundtrack composed by Sergei Prokofiev.
** Cletus's Christmas card the previous December is a parody of one of the many infamous photos from the Abu Ghraib prison scandal.
** Homer leads a small remote controlled helicopter into a room full of explosives, locking it in. The chopper lights a match to see in the dark, and is then blown up. The screen that the Colonel is watching the entire thing on switches off the camera, and up comes the ThatsAllFolks VanityPlate from LooneyTunes.
* TakeThat: Basically, this episode says that "Springfield is the dumbest city in America and even they're too smart for the Army".
* WhereTheHellIsSpringfield: According to the army soldiers who try and fail to convince the bullies to join, Springfield is in America's dumbest state.