Season 6, Episode 6
You Can't Handle The TruthStory by David Reed, Eric Charmelo and Nicole Snyder; teleplay by Eric Charmelo and Nicole Snyder.Directed by Jan Eliasberg.Air Date: October 29, 2010.When several people kill themselves under strange circumstances, Sam and Dean discover that they were driven insane by the Goddess of Truth, who cursed them to be told the truth against their will. However, when the brothers track down the goddess, Veritas, she uses her powers on Dean.
Body Count:For this episode = 2 humans and 1 god.For the series so far = At least 427 humans (of which 6 were witches), 74 demons, 33 ghosts, 21 vampires, 19 zombies, 14 gods, 11 angels, 9 hellhounds, 6 changelings, 4 shapeshifters, 3 djinn, 2 ghouls, 2 werewolves, 2 dogs, 1 crocotta, 1 lamia, 1 okami, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rugaru, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 wendigo, 1 whore of Babylon, and 1 wraith.
- Achilles' Heel: Veritas' is dogs.
- Asshole Victim: The dental patient is "coerced" by Veritas/Ashley Frank over the T.V. to admit to raping the dentist's daughter. He's the second person affected by Veritas to die in the episode.
- Attention Whore: Dean's opinion of Veritas.
- Blood from the Mouth: The dental patient. A lot.
- Brutal Honesty: This is what Veritas forces on people; the first victim seen in the episode is told to commit suicide, and the second admits to a dentist that he raped his daughter and is murdered right away for it.
- Buxom Is BetterCleavage Girl: I'm sitting like this because I'm trying to get your attention. I just bought these breasts. I need a lot of attention.Dean: [taken aback] Good luck with that. [walks past her] [beat] [walks back and takes an appreciative look]
- Cannot Tell a Lie: Anyone interacting with Dean. Except Sam.
- Dysfunction Junction: While under the truth spell, Lisa tells Dean just how unhealthy his relationship with his brother is.
- Dirty Old Man: The dental patient, who is forced by Veritas' show playing in the room to smugly confess to raping the dentist's daughter.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Dean, of course.
- Driven to Suicide: Veritas' victims, except for the dentist patient, who admits he's a pedophile who raped the dentist's daughter. He's quickly killed by said dentist, who then hangs himself.
- Gone Horribly Right: Those that ask for the truth get it.
- He Who Fights Monsters: After Sam convinces Dean he didn't Came Back Wrong, Dean assumes his brother's behaviour is just Sam becoming more callous.
- Hollywood Homely: The girl at the beginning is called a "three", in contrast to "the new girl", who's apparently an "eight".
- I'm a Humanitarian: Veritas.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Veritas is skewered with a fireplace poker.
- Irony: "The Happy Place."
- Killed Offscreen: The dentist, who killed one of the people cursed by Veritas due to her Frank Talk program playing on a TV in his operating room, hangs himself between that scene and Sam going to the police station.
- Meaningful Name: Invoked: Frank Talk with Ashley Frank.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Dean gives one to Sam when he finds out he "isn't human".
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil/Pædo Hunt: An admission to this due to the Frank Talk with Ashley Frank (Veritas) playing in the background in the dentist's office claims the second victim of Veritas' magic seen in the episode.
- Red Herring: Gabriel's Horn of Truth.
- That Thing Is Not My Brother!
- The Tooth Hurts: The second "truth" victim is a dentist patient who begins to confess, smugly, that he raped the dentist's daughter. Said dentist immediately drills right into his skull and kills him.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Sam continues to, which is a sign that he's Not Himself.
- Too Much Information: Veritas' ability forces people to tell the truth, and somehow, it leads to their deaths.
- You Look Familiar: Serinda Swan, who plays Veritas, previously played a hospital receptionist in "Salvation" (S01, E21).