Season 3, Episode 15
Time Is On My Side
After failing to get the name of the demon who holds Dean's contract, Sam gets a call about a man whose kidney was stolen. Believing they have a zombie, they go to investigate. When they get there, however, they find that the kidney was surgically removed, not torn out. Turns out, they're chasing a doctor who is using the body parts to keep himself alive. While investigating, Dean gets a call from Bobby, who tells them that Bela has resurfaced. Dean wants to go after her, but Sam insists that they stay and investigate. As it turns out, Sam planned this in advance; Dr. Benton holds the secret of immortality, and Sam wants to use it on Dean. If he can't die, he can't go to hell. Dean doesn't like the idea as much as Sam, and takes off after Bela.
Dean manages to dig up some information on Bela's past and tracks her down. Unfortunately, she doesn't have the Colt anymore. Sam finds Benton's hideout, saves a victim, and runs over the good doctor. It doesn't take. He does, however, find Benton's book, complete with his secret to immortality. Unfortunately, before Sam can tell Dean his plan, he's jumped by Benton. Dean make a very will timed entrance, and they regain the upper hand.
Bela tracks down Sam and Dean and tries to kill them; turns out that she made her own deal with a demon, and her time is up. She stole the Colt to get out of it, but the demon who holds her contract, Lilith, changes the deal and demands that she also kill Sam. The brothers had figured this out beforehand and got away, leaving Bela defenseless in their empty motel room as she hears hellhounds approaching.
For this episode = 3 humans and 1 demon.
For the series so far = At least 247 humans (of which 3 were witches), 45 demons, 19 ghosts, 10 vampires, 6 changelings, 3 gods, 2 shapeshifters, 2 werewolves, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 shtriga, 1 wendigo, 1 zombie.
- Alas, Poor Villain: Although she was loathed for the rest of her run, Bela's horrific backstory and even more horrific fate was heart-breaking.
- Alchemy Is Magic: Dr. Benton's secret to immortality.
- Anachronism Stew: Dr. Benton uses 19th century medical technology.
- And I Must Scream: Dean and Sam face the immortal Dr. Benton. Unable to kill him, they bury him alive to be trapped underground forever.
- And Show It to You / Beat Still, My Heart: Heart Guy lives long enough to see his heart being pulled out of his chest before dying.
- Anyone Can Die: Body count for this episode = 3 humans.
- Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?
Sam: Remember that thing in the paper the other day?
Dean: Stripper suffocates dude with thighs?
Sam: The other thing.
- Autopsy Snack Time: Dean is chowing down on a burger while Sam is talking about maggots.
Sam: Lost your appetite yet?
Dean: (to burger) Oh baby, I can't stay mad at you.
- Big Damn Heroes: Dean saving Sam from getting his eyeballs pulled out by Dr. Benton.
- Buried Alive: Have fun with that immortality, doc...
- Call Back: Sam and Dean trick Bela into their motel room and call the room phone to gloat about it over the phone, just as Bela had done to them in Supernatural S 03 E 12 Jus In Bello.
- Car Fu: When Sam runs Benton over. It doesn't kill him, but it does make him need more "parts"...
- Chekhov's Gunman: Rufus will return in later episodes.
- Consummate Liar: Right after we see a flashback showing that Bella killed her parents because she was a sexual abuse victim, adult Bella just smiles in the face of Dean's pistol and says her parents were wonderful and she just killed them for the money.
- Creepy Basement: Where Doc Benton brings his kidnap victims, putting them in restraints, removing their body parts, and messily patching them up.
- Cruel Mercy: Rather than shoot her dead himself, Dean leaves Bela alive, suspecting what will happen to her.
- Cry Cute: Bela, both as a teenager and as an adult.
- Deal with the Devil: Bela made one ten years ago that got her parents killed in a car "accident". She made another one to get out of her first, by agreeing to steal the Colt, but the demons double-cross her once she does that and make her try to kill Sam. She doesn't succeed.
- Downer Ending
- Dragged Off to Hell: It is very strongly implied that, right after the episode ends, Bela is torn apart by hellhounds and her soul literally dragged off to Hell.
- Eye Scream: Benton tries to pop Sam's eyes out to replace his own. UGH. Thank God Dean shows up when he does!
- Fate Worse Than Death: Since they can't just kill him and finish him off for good like John tried, Sam'n'Dean decide that the only way to keep Dr. Benton from just coming back is to bury him underground in a chained-up refrigerator. Forever.
- Flashback: Bela gets a couple that give us a fleeting impression of why she made her deal.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Viewers get front-row seats to Dr. Benton removing a jogger's heart. The sounds of him cutting and breaking ribs leading up to it are just as hard on the ears.
- Hand of Death
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Barbas, the Demon of Fear, sure has fallen on hard times if he needs to snatch people's organs to survive.
- Immune to Bullets
- Instant Sedation
- Killed Off for Real: Bela, most likely.
- Mad Doctor: Now with 30% more immortality!
- Mad Scientist Laboratory: The zeerust look is justified given the Doctor's preference for his own era's technology.
- Make It Look Like an Accident: Bella's parents died in a 'car crash'.
- Necessarily Evil: Benton claims this, saying he only kills people to survive.
- Not Quite Dead: John Winchester previously tangled with the good doctor and cut out his heart, thinking that'd kill him. It didn't.
- Nothing Is Scarier: Bela's trip to Hell isn't shown on-screen; she's in the motel room alone, talks to Dean before he hangs up on her, sobs... then the clock strikes midnight and she hears howling... she gets up, stares out the window, we hear a dog snarling... and she's never seen again.
- Not Worth Killing: Dean can't bring himself to shoot Bella in cold blood. Subverted when it's revealed he knows she's doomed anyway.
- Organ Theft: When pieces wear out, they have to be replaced...
- Over Nine Thousand: Kidney Guy describes his organ removal as "the worst pain you could possibly imagine, only worse."
- Punk in the Trunk
- Putting A Hand Over His Mouth
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: The little girl in Bela's flashback, meaning she's actually a crossroads demon.
- Revenge by Proxy: Dr. Benton's monologue to Sam reeks of this, with regards to Papa Winchester.
- See You in Hell: Dean's last words to Bela. Considering they both go there (Bela in this episode and Dean in the next), it's entirely possible that they did see each other in Hell.
- Likewise the demon Sam and Dean torture at the start of the episode, who knows Dean's time is running out.
Demon: Go ahead. Send me back to Hell. Because when you do I'll be waiting for ya. Got a few pals who are dying for a meet-and-greet with Dean Winchester.
- Sleeping Dummy: Instead of pillows, Sam and Dean use blow-up sex dolls!
- Strapped to an Operating Table
- Sarcasm Mode: The coroner and the missing-kidney victim aren't every impressed by Sam and Dean's questions.
Kidney Guy: Yeah...there is one thing...you know what I remember? Getting my kidney cut out of my body!
- Tempting Fate: Nurse: "Don't you worry, there's nothing I haven't seen." Patient's insides fall out.
- Torture Always Works: Averted; the demon is more afraid of what will happen if he talks.
- Trauma Swing: Teenaged Bella
- Unfortunate Implications: A big whopping one that doesn't make our lead look very nice: when Dean is patting Bela down for the Colt in her motel room, the way she reacts suggests that she thinks that he's trying to sexually assault her and he sneers, "Don't flatter yourself, sweetheart." Implying that being raped should be taken as a compliment because it means your attacker finds you attractive. Implying that Dean doesn't think Bela is even worth raping. Dean is saying this to a childhood victim of rape.
- Of course he doesn't know that.
- Villain Ball: Dean points out that if Bella had only asked for their protection instead of stealing the Colt, they'd both have a chance of surviving.
- Villainous Breakdown: Both Doc Benton and Bela get one.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Dean's response to Sam's plan has shades of this.
- Your Mom: Dean is torturing a demon with holy water.
Dean: I'M GONNA ASK YOU ONE LAST TIME! WHO HOLDS MY CONTRACT?
Demon: Your mother. Yeah, she showed it to me right before I bent her over.
- You Wouldn't Shoot Me