Season 1, Episode 13
Sam: So burning the body had no effect? Dean: Sure it did. Now it's really pissed.
Sam: (over a cellphone) Where are you?
Dean: I'm in the middle of nowhere with a killer truck on my ass!
Written by Eugenie Ross-Leming and Brad Buckner .
Directed by Paul Shapiro.
Airdate: January 31, 2006.
An old flame calls Dean for help when a big black truck starts killing black men in Cape Girardeau, Missouri.
Dean receives a call for help from an old friend Cassie Robinson
, and drags Sam to Cape Girardeau, Missouri, to investigate the deaths of two black men who had visions of a black truck before they died in unexplained car accidents. It turns out Cassie is Dean's ex-girlfriend who dumped him after he revealed his lifestyle as a hunter. The second victim was her father and the first was one of her father's closest friends.
They find out that 40 years ago several black men disappeared into a big black truck, but Cassie's mother is reluctant to discuss the past. Before they can find out more the first black reporter at the newspaper where Cassie works also dies in an odd car accident on the same road. Sam investigates the past disappearances while Dean investigates
any connections to Cassie's family, which leads to Dean and Cassie in bed together. The mayor dies next, looking as if he had been run over. Later the same black truck attacks Cassie's home while she and her mother are home.
Cassie's mother then reveals that she had previously dated a wealthy white man Cyrus Dorian
, but decided to marry Cassie's father, Martin, a black man, which was controversial as it was an interracial relationship. After she breaks up with Cyrus, his personality changes
, and the stories about black men disappearing start. The church where they were to be married is burnt down, killing the children
who had gathered for choir practice
. But the attacks continued with the truck coming for Martin, Cassie's father. Martin is badly beaten, but manages to get free and kills Cyrus. Martin's friend's help him roll the truck with Cyrus' body
into the swamp, and the mayor who was a deputy at the time covers up their actions.
Dean and Sam retrieve the body from the swamp and burn it, but then a threatening truck appears. Dean tries to distract the truck by taking off in the Impala, while Sam gives him directions over the phone. Dean follows the directions blindly and as the truck roars towards him, it disappears. Sam reveals he directed Dean to the location of the burnt down church and the spirit of the truck was destroyed when it passed over hallowed ground. Later Dean says goodbye to Cassie and mentions wanting to see her again, but Cassie says, "You know what? I'm a realist. I don't see much hope for us, Dean."
For this episode = 3 humans and 1 ghost
For the series so far = At least 126 humans; 9 ghosts; 1 god; 1 rawhead; 1 shapeshifter; and 1 wendigo.
Tropes appearing in this episode:
- A Friend in Need
- Artistic License - Geography: Cape Girardeau is treated as a tiny, middle-of-nowhere town in the boondocks of Missouri, when in reality it boasts a large college and a population of nearly 38,000 people.
- Additionally, Route 6, a small two-lane highway, is treated as "the only road in and out of town". Interstate 55, one of the largest north-south highways in the country, runs straight through downtown Cape Girardeau.
- Asshole Victim: Cyrus.
- The Bechdel Test: Passed. Cassie's mother tells her the truth about the past.
- Black Dude Dies First: And second.
- Blood from the Mouth: Harold Todd.
- Big Badass Rig
- Captain Obvious:
Sam: By old friend you mean...?
Dean: A friend that's not new.
- Chase Scene
- Crazy Enough to Work / Unspoken Plan Guarantee
Sam: So I figured, maybe, that would get rid of it.
Dean: Maybe? Maybe!! What if you were wrong?
Sam: Huh. Honestly that thought hadn't occurred to me.
- Creator Backlash: This is one of Eric Kripke's least favorite episodes.
- Deggans Rule: Failed. Cassie is the only non-white main character, although Jimmy and the dock worker had speaking lines. The story is also about race.
- Despite The Plan: This is the second time burning the bones did not work. The first time was in "Hook Man".
- Dies Wide Open: Harold Todd.
- The Dog Bites Back: Martin Robinson.
- Electromagnetic Ghosts: Static on the car radio.
- Girl of the Week: Lampshaded by Cassie.
- I Never Said It Was Poison: Dean asks the mother how does she know Cyrus died while the paper's said he went missing.
- Insistent Terminology: Dean, The Nicknamer, never calls Cassie by any other version of her name, which leaves the name Cas open for Castiel.
- Intrepid Reporter: Cassie.
- Ladykiller in Love: This is the first time we've actually seen Dean fall for somebody.
- Love Cannot Overcome: Dean and Cassie.
- Maligned Mixed Marriage: Cassie's parents.
- The Masquerade Will Kill Your Dating Life: Dean tells Cassie the truth about hunting, but she thinks it is an excuse to leave her.
- Mood Whiplash: Although it generally follows the First Law of Tragicomedies.
- New Old Flame: Cassie to Dean.
- Nothing Is Scarier: The driver of the truck. (Or lack thereof.)
- Seeking Sanctuary
- Serial Killer: Cyrus.
- Shout Out:
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: "We should fight more often."
- Twofer Token Minority: Cassie as a black woman.
- Urban Legend: Stories related to the renumbered Route 666.
- Vehicular Assault
- Who You Gonna Call?: When Cassie gets in trouble, she calls Dean.
- Your Cheating Heart: Cassie's mother was seeing Martin while dating Cyrus, and eventually left Cyrus for him.