Recap: Superman The Animated Series S 2 E 12 Brave New Metropolis
While at S.T.A.R. Labs, Lois goes through a portal and encounters a horrifying alternate Metropolis.
This episode contains the following tropes:
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Lois gives on to Alt!Superman after he tells her why he decided to ally with Luthor.
- Belated Love Epiphany: Alt!Superman didn't know how much he loved Alt!Lois until she died.Superman: You never knew how I felt about you. I didn't know... until you were gone.
- Broken Pedestal: Enforced. The writers explained that they wanted Jimmy Olsen to be a member of the resistance and explicitly wanted it to be him who began throwing rocks at Superman, because they felt that nothing would better demonstrate Superman's fall from grace than losing the adoration of his biggest fan.
- Car Bomb: The Alternate Universe spun off from reality after Lois Lane was killed by a bomb that Intergang placed in her car.
- Dead Alternate Counterpart: This Metropolis' Lois was killed by Intergang.
- Defiant Stone Throw: The captive alternate Jimmy Olsen throws a rock at Superman.
- For Want of a Nail: Lois' death turns out to be a big nail. Jimmy explains that Superman was a split-second late when Intergang put a bomb in Lois Lane's car. Because of that Lois died and Superman decided to take a more proactive role in running the city.
- Foreshadowing: Alt!Luthor's escape attempt is similar to the one the mainstream Luthor will later try in Justice League after being exposed as a criminal.
- Just Following Orders: Once Alt!Superman learns about Alt!Luthor's lies, Luthor tries to kill him with Kryptonite and hopes to convince the people that he was just being forced to play along with Superman's plans before having a chance to stop him.
- Knight Templar: The episode takes place in a Mirror Universe where Lois Lane's death has turned Superman into a tyrant who cooperates with Lex Luthor. However, this version of Superman still isn't nearly as bad as Justice Lord Superman and can still be reasoned with. Lex was lying to him and purposely got rid of people that could have told him he wasn't doing good. When Lois shows Superman the truth he is very ticked.
- Morality Chain: Lois Lane ends up in a parallel universe, where her double was killed by a car bomb. While in her own reality, Superman got there just in time to save her, this world's Superman failed and has never forgiven himself. Since then, he has become much less forgiving to criminals and abandoned his "no killing" rule, blasting any criminal he sees with his Eye Beams. When Lois encounters this version of Superman, he no longer wears the same uniform◊ and appears to be working with Lex Luthor. She manages to set him right, though. Of course, she goes back to her own universe at the end of the episode, which means the other Superman is once again without a Morality Chain.
- Mr. Exposition: Alt!Jimmy gives Lois the backstory on this version of Metropolis.
- Putting on the Reich: the alternate Superman wears a black costume with a new shield resembling the zigzagged S of the SS logo.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Alt!Luthor hopes to be seen as a hero by killing Alt!Superman and using the Just Following Orders excuse for all the bad things he did and/or helped Alt!Superman to do. It doesn't work.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Lois slaps Alt!Superman and bitterly comments about his being "married to Luthor."