Recap: Superman The Animated Series S 2 E 12 Brave New Metropolis
While at S.T.A.R. Labs, Lois goes through a portal and encounters a horrifying alternate Metropolis.
This episode contains the following tropes:
- Broken Pedestal: Enforced. The writers explained that they wanted Jimmy Olsen to be a member of the resistance and explicitly wanted it to be him who began throwing rocks at Superman, because they felt that nothing would better demonstrate Superman's fall from grace than losing the adoration of his biggest fan.
- Car Bomb: The Alternate Universe spun off from reality after Lois Lane was killed by a bomb that Intergang placed in her car.
- Dead Alternate Counterpart: This Metropolis' Lois was killed by Intergang.
- Defiant Stone Throw: The captive alternate Jimmy Olsen throws a rock at Superman.
- For Want of a Nail: Lois' death turns out to be a big nail. Jimmy explains that Superman was a split-second late when Intergang put a bomb in Lois Lane's car. Because of that Lois died and Superman decided to take a more proactive role in running the city.
- Knight Templar: The episode takes place in a Mirror Universe where Lois Lane's death has turned Superman into a tyrant who cooperates with Lex Luthor. However, this version of Superman still isn't nearly as bad as Justice Lord Superman and can still be reasoned with.Lex was lying to him and purposely got rid of people that could have told him he wasn't doing good. When Lois shows Superman the truth he is very ticked.
- Morality Chain: Lois Lane ends up in a parallel universe, where her double was killed by a car bomb. While in her own reality, Superman got there just in time to save her, this world's Superman failed and has never forgiven himself. Since then, he has become much less forgiving to criminals and abandoned his "no killing" rule, blasting any criminal he sees with his Eye Beams. When Lois encounters this version of Superman, he no longer wears the same uniform◊ and appears to be working with Lex Luthor. She manages to set him right, though. Of course, she goes back to her own universe at the end of the episode, which means the other Superman is once again without a Morality Chain.
- Mr. Exposition: Alt!Jimmy gives Lois the backstory on this version of Metropolis.
- Putting on the Reich: the alternate Superman wears a black costume with a new shield resembling the zigzagged S of the SS logo.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Lois slaps Alt!Superman and bitterly comments about his being "married to Luthor."