Recap / Superman The Animated Series S 1 E 11 My Girl
Much to Clark's surprise, his sweetheart from Smallville Lana Lang has come to Metropolis...and is dating his arch-nemesis Lex Luthor. Lana quickly reveals that she knows who Clark is, and tries to help him by spying on her boyfriend. But when Lex finds out, it will be up to his archenemy to save Lana.
This episode provides examples of:
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Lana tells Lex she likes bad boys, but...
- Bambification: One of the criminal mooks gets a Kick the Dog moment when he decides to shoot a deer just to see it blow up. Supes arrives just in time to block the shot.
- Convection Schmonvection: Lana and Eelan are all right as long as they don't actually fall into the molten lead flooding the factory.
- Conveyor Belt-O-Doom: Eelan tied Lana up and put her in a hopper that was sent down the line to be filled with molten lead.
- Easily Overheard Conversation: As he prepares to do away with her, Eelan tells Lana that even if Superman is in the area he won't be able to see through the lead-coated walls of the factory. Supes then bursts in and points out that he can hear Eelan just fine.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: When Superman saves Lana from a gang in the beginning, Lex comments that for once, he's glad Supes was present, and while he tries to kill her for knowing too much, he's unhappy about it.
- Hidden Depths: Lex shows genuine regret when he's forced to have Lana killed. This catches Mercy off guard, and based on prior episodes, we see that Lex has no problem having people killed normally. This is one of the rare examples of Lex showing anything resembling real affection.
- Inadvertent Entrance Cue
Clark: I know you'll find that special someone some day.
Lana: So will you. You deserve it. Someone patient, kind, understanding...
Lois: Hey, Smallville! Get your tail in here. Perry's got an assignment for us.
- Like Brother and Sister: Clark and Lana, at least by the end. Lana warns him against saying it, however.
Lana: Clark Kent, if you say I'm like a sister to you, I'm going back to Lex.
- Not My Driver: Lana gets this when Lex realizes that she's onto him.
- Reality Ensues: Lana, who knew Clark back in Smallvillenote , sees through his disguise and excuses.
- Secret Secret-Keeper: Clark was not aware that Lana knew his other identity until she asked him if "Martha [Kent] made the costume."
- She Knows Too Much: Lana. And Lex was forced to have her killed. Fortunately, Superman saved her.
- Shooting Superman: Despite having already seen his would be buyers fire his fancy laser guns at Superman and nothing happening, he still points his own gun at Superman. Superman quips, "I should warn you; it's been done." Then Eelan switches aim to a bridge with a Bus Full of Innocents approaching instead.
- Shout-Out: When Lex is laying a trap, he "tells" a client to be in Central City by that night.
- Stuff Blowing Up: This episode involves Lex Luthor selling terrorists a gun that makes things blow up like they're been strapped to dynamite.