In her childhood, Lois Lane had a pet chimpanzee named Titano. Being intended as a test subject, Titano was shot out into space and lost when the mission went awry. Then, years later, Superman finds him, alive and well. But all does not stay well for long. Titano has been exposed to a strange gas, which, combined with Earth's atmosphere is sending him through remarkable growth spurts. Can Superman keep Metropolis safe? Can Lois keep Titano safe?
This episode contains examples of:
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Dr. Hamilton and his scientists get attacked by super sized bacteria. Then Metropolis gets "attacked" by an oversized chimpanzee.
- Badly Battered Babysitter: both Lois and Jimmy (who she roped into watching Titano while she took a break), although Jimmy arguably gets the worse end — the chimp throws things at him. Things like the refrigerator.
- Banana Peel: Jimmy slips on one as he tries to get out of Lois' apartment. This leads to...
- Catch a Falling Star: Jimmy falls several stories, but Superman shows up Just in Time to save him from hitting the ground.
- Cuteness Proximity: a mild version when Lois reunites with Titano. She speaks in a voice slightly more sing-songy than usual and calls him "[her] pretty baby."
- Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!: Dr. Hamilton theorizes that the now-supersized bacteria from which Superman just saved them must have been in the capsule and grew because of exposure to Earth's atmosphere. Cue this reaction when the two remember that a chimpanzee has had a similar exposure.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys
- Gilligan Cut: Dr. Hamilton voices his opinion that it would be good for Titano to go back to living with Lois. Lois protest, the camera pans to Clark and Dr. Hamilton's faces and then we cut to Titano wrecking Lois' apartment.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Jimmy when Titano grows large enough that he can barely fit in the apartment.
- Miracle-Gro Monster: the gas, combined with Earth's atmosphere, turns Titano into a giant.
- Music Soothes the Savage Beast: Lois uses an old music-playing monkey toy to calm Titano.
- Mythology Gag: Titano was a character in the comics.
- Non-Malicious Monster: Titano.
- Scream Discretion Shot: Played for Laughs. Lois screams when she finds that Titano has completely wrecked her apartment in her absence.
- Shout-Out: When Bibbo smacks Titano for messing up his dock, he calls him "Cheetah", the name of one of Tarzan's monkey friends.