Recap / Superman The Animated Series S 2 E 13 Monkey Fun
In her childhood, Lois Lane had a pet chimpanzee named Titano. Being intended as a test subject, Titano was shot out into space and lost when the mission went awry. Then, years later, Superman finds him, alive and well. But all does not stay well for long. Titano has been exposed to a strange gas, which, combined with Earth's atmosphere is sending him through remarkable growth spurts. Can Superman keep Metropolis safe? Can Lois keep Titano safe?
This episode contains examples of:
- Answer Cut: After Superman saves Hamilton and his scientists from the mega microbes, Hamilton theorizes that they grew in response to the space gas and exposure to Earth's atmosphere. He and Superman quickly have an alarming realization as to what that means for Titano...whereupon the camera cuts to Lois' apartment, where Jimmy is dodging objects Titano is throwing around and desperately trying to get Lois to come back.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Dr. Hamilton and his scientists get attacked by super sized bacteria. Then Metropolis gets "attacked" by an oversized chimpanzee.
- Badly Battered Babysitter: both Lois and Jimmy (who she roped into watching Titano while she took a break), although Jimmy arguably gets the worse end — the chimp throws things at him. Things like the refrigerator.
- Banana Peel: Jimmy slips on one as he tries to get out of Lois' apartment.
- Cassandra Truth: Lampshaded. Jimmy says Superman won't believe him when he says Titano grew so much, but Superman (who's already aware of the situation) cuts him off with "Let me guess. Titano's a growing boy."
- Catch a Falling Star: Jimmy falls several stories, but Superman shows up Just in Time to save him from hitting the ground.
- Cuteness Proximity: a mild version when Lois reunites with Titano. She speaks in a voice slightly more sing-songy than usual and calls him "[her] pretty baby."
- Distant Prologue: The episode begins twenty years ago, with Titano launched on his mission and lost, much to the eight-year-old Lois's dismay.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys
- Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!: Dr. Hamilton theorizes that the now-supersized bacteria from which Superman just saved them must have been in the capsule and grew because of exposure to Earth's atmosphere. Cue this reaction when the two remember that a chimpanzee has had a similar exposure.
- Fearless Fool: When Titano wanders down to the docks and starts making a mess, Bibbo climbs onto a stack of crates to confront the giant chimp, swat him with a newspaper, and call him "bad monkey!". He gets tossed into a garbage barge.
- Gilligan Cut: Dr. Hamilton voices his opinion that it would be good for Titano to go back to living with Lois. Lois protest, the camera pans to Clark and Dr. Hamilton's faces and then we cut to Titano wrecking Lois' apartment.
- I'm Not Hungry: Despite being in space for years, Titano doesn't feel like eating when first offered food.
- Ironic Name: Titano was originally named after the rocket he was a passenger in, Titan-0. When he grows to titanic size, something the Air Force likely never intended, his name becomes very fitting.
- Mega-Microbes: The episode featured a brief appearance by amoeba enlarged to human size.
- Miracle-Gro Monster: the gas, combined with Earth's atmosphere, turns Titano into a giant.
- Military Brat: Lois was one as a kid, which is how she knew Titano.
- Music Soothes the Savage Beast: Lois uses an old music-playing monkey toy to calm Titano.
- Mythology Gag: Titano was a character in the comics.
- Non-Malicious Monster: Titano.
- Scream Discretion Shot: Played for Laughs. Lois screams when she finds that Titano has completely wrecked her apartment in her absence.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Jimmy finally has enough and runs for it when Titano grows large enough that he can barely fit in the apartment.
- Shout-Out: When Bibbo smacks Titano for messing up his dock, he calls him "Cheetah", the name of one of Tarzan's monkey friends.