Searching for the truth is easy. Accepting the truth is hard.Senator Padmé Amidala and her allies Onaconda Farr, Bail Organa, Mon Mothma and Farr's aide Representative Lolo Purs are in her office toasting a speech she gave to the Senate in support of a bill Farr proposed. After a brief, unwelcome intrusion by the unpleasant Kaminoan Senator Halle Burtoni, they drink, only for Farr to suddenly drop dead moments later. Everyone is in shock, and Lolo is promoted to Senator, while Ono's body is sent back to Rodia.Senator Farr's death is determined to have been murder, and Lieutenant Tan Divo of the Coruscant Security Force is called in to investigate. He rubs Padmé the wrong way, though, on top of apparently making little to no progress. Padmé learns from Umbaran Senator Mee Deechi, who was having Ono watched, that he had a meeting at the docks the night before his death. She and Bail go to investigate, and are attacked by a hooded assailant, who eventually escapes.Padmé and Bail, on returning to the Senate office building, go to Deechi's office to confront him, believing him to be the assailant, only to discover he's been stabbed.Lieutenant Divo tells them off for attempting their own investigation, and reveals that the autopsy concluded that Ono was slipped a Rodian-specific poison made by the Kaminoans. On this evidence, Senator Burtoni is arrested for the murders. Padmé though, spots a thread: If the poison only affected Rodians, why wasn't Lolo killed as well? She was also poured a glass, so the only way she could have avoided being poisoned was if she didn't drink . . . so why wouldn't she drink . . . unless she put the poison there to begin with.Yes, Lolo's the killer, and she attempts to take Padmé hostage, but is eventually arrested. Her motive? She thought that Farr was "weak" and didn't deserve to be Senator anymore after he briefly sided with the Separatists. She'd tried to threaten him at the docks to get him to resign, but he refused, so she decided to kill him. She's duly taken away to jail.
- Anachronic Order: The only episode from the first two seasons that takes place after the one-year Time Skip partway through Season 3.
- Call-Back: Onaconda Farr was murdered because of his brief alliance with the Separatists back in 'Bombad Jedi'.
- Chair Reveal: Padmé and Bail go to confront Mee Deechi in his office, believing him to be the murderer — only to turn his chair around to discover him dead with a dagger in his chest.
- Discreet Drink Disposal: A variant — Lolo only pretends to drink the beverage being served at the beginning, because she spiked it with a Rodian-specific poison. This ends up being what gets her caught.
- Easily Forgiven: Subverted in Lolo's case. She couldn't forgive Ono after he sided with the Separatists back in Season 1, and ended up killing him for it.
- He Knows Too Much: Lolo kills Senator Deechi because he'd found out about her meeting with Ono at the docks.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Lieutenant Divo gets this twice:
- First off, he's right that Padmé and Bail are working outside the law by trying to investigate the case themselves. (Of course, they probably wouldn't be if Divo's investigations didn't move so slowly . . .)
- He announces that he believes that all politicians have something to hide, and then remembers he's in a roomful of politicians. The politicians in question: Padmé Amidala, secretly married to a Jedi Knight; Palpatine, secretly the Dark Lord of the Sith; Lolo Purs, the murderer; and Bail Organa and Mon Mothma, who don't currently have anything to hide, but will in a few years: Bail will be raising Padmé's daughter, and both of them will be building the Rebellion.
- Never One Murder: First Senator Farr, and then Senator Deechi.
- No Biochemical Barriers: Averted. The poison that was used to kill Ono only affected Rodians. This ends up being the vital clue to the murderer's identity.
- Police Are Useless: Lieutenant Divo's investigation moves far too slowly for Padmé and Bail's taste.
- Red Herring: Yes, the poison that killed Ono was made by the Kaminoans. No, that doesn't mean that Kaminoan Senator Halle Burtoni was the murderer.
- Spotting the Thread: Padmé points out that if the beverage they were all drinking was spiked with a Rodian-specific poison, then by all rights Lolo should also have died, not just Ono, unless she didn't drink. And the only reason why she wouldn't have drunk was if she knew the drink was poisoned to begin with . . .
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Lolo's murder of Senator Deechi led directly to his homeworld Umbara seceding to join the Separatists, leading to a long and bloody campaign to subdue it.
- Worthy Opponent: Senator Deechi saw Ono as this, although it didn't prevent him from trying to get dirt on him.