The swiftest path to destruction is through vengeance.After being betrayed by her Master, Count Dooku, Asajj Ventress seeks the aid of her kin in her quest for vengeance.
This episode provides examples of:
- Anachronic Order: This episode takes place after (or possibly during) "Senate Murders" (2x15), and is the last episode to be aired anachronologically.
- Badass Grandpa: Dooku manages to fight off the Nightsisters while blinded. In his pajamas, no less.
- Black Speech: The language the Nightsisters are using for their enchantments is the creepy variant.
- Canon Immigrant: Apart from the Adaptation Species Change, Ventress' backstory of having grown up on Rattatak and trained by Jedi Master Ky Narec comes straight from the comics that introduced her.
- Evil Versus Evil: Ventress, Karis and Naa'leth vs Count Dooku.
- False Flag Operation: The Nightsisters provide their agents with Jedi lightsabers (blue for Ventress and green for her lackeys), so that Dooku will blame the assassination attempt on the Jedi if he survives.
- Hot Witch: None of the Nightsisters seen with uncovered faces are ugly, not even Mother Talzin.
- Matriarchy: No males are seen among the Nightsisters; Talzin offers one as an assassin for Dooku because he "couldn't tame" a female.
- Off Model: The long skirt Ventress is initially wearing has vanished when the salvagers take her out of the remains of her fighter. This was deliberate as they found it too difficult to animate. Given that she gets a new outfit without a skirt in this episode anyway, wouldn't it have been simpler to just leave it in?
- Parental Abandonment: Ventress was handed over to a slaver by her own mother; her father was presumably killed by tradition before her birth.
- Parental Substitute: Jedi Master Ky Narec for Ventress. It appears she considered Dooku as such, too.
- Revenge: Ventress's sole focus after recovering is to avenge herself upon Dooku. As seen during her Troubled Backstory Flashbacks, revenge upon the killers of her parental figures has been a primary motivation for most of her life.
- Shoot Your Mate: Sidious orders Dooku to eliminate Ventress, because he fears Dooku might try to overthrow him with her help.
- Troubled Backstory Flashback: Ventress's history (traded away for the survival of her tribe, rescued and trained by a Jedi, and fallen to the dark side and found by Dooku after he was killed) is summarized while she is unconscious and her injuries are treated by the Nightsisters' magic.
- Villain Episode: Obi-Wan and Anakin appear at the beginning, but the focus is on Ventress's betrayal and revenge.
- Visible Invisibility: The Nightsisters' potion renders Ventress and her lackeys invisible "to most." To the viewers they appear smoky and indistinct. Their lightsabers are quite visible, but this serves to convince Dooku that they are Jedi.
- Voice of the Legion: Mother Talzin's words echo in a voice far deeper than her own.
- You Have Failed Me: Dooku's stated reason for abandoning Ventress to die, though the truth is quite the opposite: she has become too powerful and effective to be compatible with Sidious' paranoia.