is in the middle of a blackout, Neelix is put in charge of keeping the ship's children calm. He does this by telling them a story about "The Haunting of Deck 12.
This episode contains examples of the following tropes:
- Cowardly Lion: Neelix. In spite of being so terrified that even Tuvok's attempts at guided meditation don't calm him, when the Vulcan is injured, he does what needs doing to get him to engineering.
- Creepy Child: the children Neelix is put in charge of. They are former Borg.
- Hypocritical Humor: the last couple lines of the episode:
Janeway: So, how'd you do it? Told them fairy tales?
Neelix: Oh, no. Some of those stories can be very scary. Ogres and goblins.
- I'm a Humanitarian: the children (who are Borg) suggest this happened on a Talaxian ship (the Salvoxia) which Neelix mentions, after a catastrophe. Neelix is obviously uncomfortable with the idea.
- No One Gets Left Behind: Neelix to Tuvok.
Tuvok: I am injured. Logic dictates that you take the mask and proceed to main engineering.
Neelix: I don't care what logic dictates! This isn't the Salvoxia. We're not drawing lots.
Tuvok: I am giving you an order.
Neelix: And I'm disobeying it. You're coming with me if I have to drag you by your pointy little ears!