Recap: Star Trek Voyager S 6 E 25 The Haunting Of Deck Twelve
While Voyager is in the middle of a blackout, Neelix is put in charge of keeping the ship's children calm. He does this by telling them a story about "The Haunting of Deck 12."
This episode contains examples of the following tropes:
- Abandon Ship: The (possessed) computer forces the crew to do this.
- Attack Hello: Tal Celes does this to Harry Kim, thinking that he's a hostile alien.
- Continuity Nod: Back in "The Cloud," Neelix raged at Janeway for taking Voyager into a nebula that he would've steered clear of. In this episode, he reveals a bit of backstory to Tuvok that would help explain why he hates nebulae.
- Cowardly Lion: Neelix. In spite of being so terrified that even Tuvok's attempts at guided meditation don't calm him, when the Vulcan is injured, he does what needs doing to get him to engineering.
- Creepy Child: The children Neelix is put in charge of sport odd stares and are not in the slightest disturbed by topics like cannibalism.They are former Borg.
- Elevator Failure: Almost kills Chakotay.
- Explosive Instrumentation: Not actually explosive, but the helm shoots an energy bolt that catches Tom Paris in the face.
- Framing Story: Most of the episode is a story Neelix is telling the children.
- Going Down with the Ship: Janeway almost does this before the alien relents.
- Hypocritical Humor: the last couple lines of the episode:Janeway: So, how'd you do it? Told them fairy tales?Neelix: Oh, no. Some of those stories can be very scary. Ogres and goblins.
- I Have This Friend: When Neelix asks Tuvok how long the particle-collecting procedure will take, he claims that he wants to reassure an on-edge crew. In reality, Neelix is the one who's on edge and in need of reassurance.
- I'm a Humanitarian: The children (who are former Borg) suggest that after a catastrophe, the survivors of the Talaxian ship Salvoxia survived by turning cannibal. Neelix is obviously uncomfortable with the idea.
- No One Gets Left Behind: Neelix to Tuvok.Tuvok: I am injured. Logic dictates that you take the mask and proceed to main engineering.Neelix: I don't care what logic dictates! This isn't the Salvoxia. We're not drawing lots.Tuvok: I am giving you an order.Neelix: And I'm disobeying it. You're coming with me if I have to drag you by your pointy little ears!
- Techno Babble: Icheb calls Neelix on the improper use of tech talk, and because of this doesn't believe that the story really happened.
- That Cloud Looks Like: When Voyager approaches the nebula in the teaser:Paris: Now, there's a creepy image. Reminds me of something out of Edgar Allan Poe.
Kim: Looks like a vampire bat. You can make out the wings, even the ears. What do you see, Tuvok?
Tuvok: Two Starfleet officers with juvenile imaginations.
Paris: Come on, Tuvok! Haven't you ever looked up at the clouds and seen an animal?
Tuvok: I will never understand the human need to find imagery in something as innocuous as a cloud.