The legendary Klingon warrior Kor shows up on Worf's doorstep, desperate for help. Thirty years ago, Kor rejected Martok's application to the Klingon academy, and now Martok refuses to allow Kor to serve in combat, guaranteeing a dishonorable death. Worf goes over Martok's head and grants Kor a position in the fleet, but Kor's deteriorating mind might not be up to the task. In the b-plot, Quark sets his sights on Ezri.
This episode contains examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Quark attempts to court Ezri, and actually does a pretty decent job.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Downplayed. Kor denied Martok's application to become a KDF officer for no other reason than that he wasn't of noble birth. Martok worked his way Up Through the Ranks despite this.
- Broken Pedestal: Kor is revered by Martok's crew until he starts acting like he has Alzheimer's.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: Martok hates Kor because Kor denied his application to become an officer, delaying his career by five years. Kor doesn't even remember it because he reviewed so many applications in those days.
- Heroic Sacrifice / You Shall Not Pass: Attempted by Worf but ultimately carried out by Kor who fights a ten to one battle against the pursuing Jem'Hadar ships to give the other ships in the fleet time to reach safety.
- Killed Off for Real: Kor.
- Large Ham: Kor's Ham is Legendary.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: Kor's final moment of badassery is too epic to actually be witnessed. The play-by-play is delivered by the helmsman until they reach their sensor distance.