Recap / Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 06 E 04 Behind The Lines
On the station, Kira's resistance movement is starting to drive a wedge between the Cardassians and the Jem Hadar, but there's a complication: the "female" changeling has arrived, and (s)he is getting itchy to link up with Odo. What's worse, Damar may have found a way to dismantle the wormhole minefield. Meanwhile on Starbase 375, the Defiant is ordered to take out a Dominion sensor station, but they'll be going without Captain Sisko, who has been promoted out of the field. Will the crew be able to function without their resident Bald Black Leader Guy
This episode contains examples of:
- Badass Boast: Sisko (and later Dax) do a "call and response" one with the Defiant crew every time they use up a phaser power cell after they return to base.
Sisko/Dax: (holds power cell in their hands) Take a good look at this, people. It says something about this ship. It says that we will fight, and we will keep on fighting, until we can't fight any more!
Crew: Yes, sir!
Sisko/Dax: You don't just throw something like this away.
Crew: No, sir!
- Bar Brawl: Between the Cardassians and the Jem'Hadar. Unlike most in Star Trek, this one has a body count.
- Better Than Sex: The link seems to be this for Odo.
- Call Back: To the root beer conversation with Garak in "The Way of the Warrior." When the Dominion invaded the station, Quark was all too happy to throw out his root beer and "hew-mon" food for his new Cardassian customers. Now, after living with the Cardassians, Vorta, and Jem'Hadar for weeks, he finally breaks down and in tears says he wants the Federation back, he wants to sell root beer again.
- Contemplate Our Navels: Odo's preferred post-linking activity.
- Da Chief: Captain Sisko is promoted to this position, to his chagrin.
- Dispense with the Pleasantries: After giving Weyoun his moment to praise her, the Female Changeling cuts short Dukat's long-winded speech about how they are equal partners going into a glorious future and bluntly asks about the status of the minefield.
- G-Rated Sex: The link, once again.
- Heroic BSOD: It's likely the kanar talking, but Quark absolutely breaks down in front of Kira's resistance cell. He doesn't like the Cardassians, who are mean and arrogant, and he especially doesn't like the Jem'Hadar, who are creepy and just stand around like statues. No matter what he said before, he wants to sell root beer again. Quark does partly snap out of it after the commercial break, once he's had a chance to sober up.
- Idiot Ball: Sure, get some link nookie Odo but maybe pick a better time for it.
- I Have My Ways: Nog manages to get ahold of real Saurian brandy during a war. Fortunately, Admiral Ross chooses not to pry.
- In Vino Veritas: Quark invokes this with Damar, but in doing so falls under its influence.
- Kicked Upstairs / Soldiers at the Rear: Slight subversion, as the promotion was due to Sisko being extremely good at his job, as opposed to incompetent. He isn't terribly happy about it. Don't worry, he'll be on the front lines soon enough. . .
- Let's You and Him Fight: The fight between the Jem'Hadar and Cardassians at the beginning is due to the meddling of Kira and Jake. Jake wants to continue formenting dissension between the two races, but Odo opposes it because if they're caught, it would be just the excuse the Dominion would need to kick every Bajoran off the station.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Kira's resistance cell uses Damar's own writings to start the Bar Brawl. This naturally gets Damar in hot water with Dukat and Weyoun, so he proceeds to make up for it by figuring out how to bring down the minefield.
- Oh Crap!: Kira, when she sees that Odo isn't at his post when he needs to be. Then Rom, when he opens up the computer and sets off the alarm.
- Rage Breaking Point: After several episodes of maintaining a somewhat uncharacteristic stoicism, Odo's negligence sends Kira right over the edge. It's rather terrifying the way she storms through the station to confront Odo—her expression suggesting that she's determined to find a way to murder a Changeling with her bare hands.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Literally, after the Cardassians and Jem'Hadar fight in Quark's Bar.
Weyoun: How could Damar be so stupid so as to leave such an inflammatory document laying around for anyone to find?!
Gul Dukat: Your men stole it from him!
Weyoun: Jem'Hadar are not thieves!
Gul Dukat: And Damar is not a liar!
Weyoun: Keep...your voice down. [smiles] Our men need to see that we are still allies. Smile!
[Dukat bitterly does so]
Weyoun: [through his teeth] Dukat!
Gul Dukat: I'm smiling!
- What the Hell, Hero?: Kira gives Odo a major butt-chewing for linking with the female changeling and letting Rom get captured.
- You Are in Command Now: Dax takes over the Defiant when Sisko gets promoted, though she doesn't Rank Up. She still gets called "Captain" as O'Brien tells Nog the tradition that the person in command of a ship, regardless of rank, is addressed as "Captain".