Recap: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine S06 E03 “Sons and Daughters”
While dropping Sisko and company off at Starbase 375 following the events of Rocks and Shoals, the IKS Rotarran takes on five new crew members; one of whom is Alexander Rozhenko, Worf's estranged son. Worf quickly becomes frustrated and embarrassed by Alexander's bumbling attempts to prove himself as a Klingon Warrior. Worf and Martok struggle to understand why Alexander—who never before showed any interest in following the Klingon way—signed on to the Klingon forces, while Alexander struggles to find a place among his disdainful crew.Meanwhile, Tora Ziyal returns to the Dominion-occupied Terok Nor, causing even more friction between Major Kira and Gul Dukat.
This episode contains examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Dukat, per his idiom.
- Bittersweet Ending: Alexander joins the House of Martok, and is on the road to becoming a warrior; but, Kira refuses to give in to Dukat, and a wedge seems to be driven between her and Ziyal.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Alexander challenges his father to a fight to the death; Worf charitably declines. There is no rational universe in which Alexander would have even stood a chance of winning.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Between Ch'Targh and Alexander. Until Worf breaks it up.
- Dodge by Braking: The Rotarran pulls this off during a dogfight with some Jem'Hadar attack ships, letting the pursuing JHAS pass over top of them so they can bring their disruptors to bear and turn it to scrap metal.
- Filler: Besides bringing Ziyal back to the station and rescuing the crew, this episode doesn't have much of relevance for the Dominion invasion arc.
- The Fool: How Alexander is viewed by the Rotarran's crew. Worf is not pleased.
- Foreshadowing: Sisko bets Martok a case of bloodwine for whoever sets foot on Deep Space Nine first.
- I Am X, Son of Y: How all the new crewmembers on the Rotarran introduce themselves—except Alexander, showing how bad his relationship with his father is.
- Mandatory Line: Sisko and the rest of the crew only appear in The Teaser. Having been rescued by the Rotarran, they're being dropped off at Starbase 375 for a debriefing.
- Secret Test of Character: Martok gives one to Alexander. Despite it being a fairly obvious ploy, he still fails.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Alexander. Poor, poor Alexander.
- What an Idiot: Poor, stupid Alexander.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Martok is rather annoyed that in all the time they've known each other, Worf never once mentioned having a son.