When someone is questioned on how he knows something or how he is going to get something done, sometimes he won't want to answer. Instead, he'll just utter this Stock Phrase
: "I Have My Ways
." This cryptic response is unlikely to satisfy the asker for long, but it gets across the point that the asked person doesn't want to reveal the exact nature of their "ways" just yet.
Generally used in one of these cases:
- The person being asked wants to keep the answer a secret, either because a source's identity needs to remain private, they don't want the other person to know how to get such information, or any other such reason.
- The answer is so disturbing that the questioner REALLY doesn't want to know.
- The person being asked is just going to make it up as he goes along.
Sometimes used as a Hand Wave
. Not to be confused with We Have Ways of Making You Talk
, which is about unorthodox torture methods.
- In an early 1970s ad a Chinese Launderer is asked how he gets clothes so clean. "Shh. Ancient Chinese Secret." His wife shares the truth with us: they use Calgon.
- In The 39 Clues, Irina tells Ian and Natalie Kabra ''Your mother has her methods" when asked how they obtained information belonging to a rival organization.
- Used in Live Free Or Die: when asked by the President of the United States, and by various agents of the news media whether or not he had a Plan to stop the Horvath from dropping rocks on Earth's remaining cities for his defiance during (and starting) the Maple Syrup War, Tyler Vernon replied "I am of the South. We have our ways." Only one person is shown to have worked out what he meant by that before he explained in an interview after the Horvath were driven away "In the words of the smartest rabbit I know: 'Oh no Br'er fox! Please don't throw me in that there briar bush!'"
- In Spider Robinson's Stardance, Charlie Armstead meets an aspiring composer who claims to have seen Shara Drummond's "Stardance" video, even though Charlie(who shot the video) hasn't shown it to anyone. When he asks how the composer got his hands on the video, the composer just smiles and says, "Large weather we're having, isn't it?"
- Scarecrow and Mrs. King episode "The First Time":
Amanda: How did you find me?
Lee: We have our ways.
- In an episode of the old SF/Spy show Probe, the Big Bad has protagonist Austin James isolated from his friends, taunting the hero through his radio implant (long story). Suddenly, Austin's secretary breaks in on the frequency.
Villain: "Who is this?!"
Mickey: "Probe Control."
Villain: "How did you find me?"
Mickey: "We have our ways."
- Mystery Science Theater 3000 had a field day with this one in the episode The Brain that Wouldn't Die.
Movie Doctor "I have my ways."
Crow "Ways! Lots and lots of ways!"
(as doctor is leaving room, he turns around and looks back)
- Practically Nico's catchprase on Necessary Roughness.
- A frequent Catch Phrase in Xena: Warrior Princess; whenever Xena demonstrated an ability she never hinted at having before, she would simply say, "I have many skills."
- In Homestuck, when John questions Rose about her information on the game, she replies "My perception of the future has been informed by other sources." These "informants" are primarily Doc Scratch and the Horrorterrors, neither of which John (or anyone except Rose, really) would be likely to approve of.