Season 3, Episode 13
The only relevant number on this plane is 130 people.
After resigning from Team Machine, Reese tries to leave the country on a one-way flight to Istanbul. But an overbooked flight causes him to be bumped to a different plane, which happens to be carrying a witness to a major criminal case about an online drug market, who someone (several
someones, actually) doesn't want to testify.
- Badass Bystander / Hypercompetent Sidekick / Unfazed Everyman: The stewardess is far more helpful to Reese than you'd expect she'd be capable (physically, mentally or emotionally) of being!
- Butt Monkey: Owen Matthews.
- Carnival of Killers: Five assassins from three different groups are trying to kill Owen Matthews in four separate ways.
- Crash Course Landing: Finch - who is only certified to fly prop planes - has to land the airliner. By remote control.
- The Chessmaster: The Machine
- The Dog Was the Mastermind: Owen is The Sphinx.
- Episode on a Plane
- Everybody Lives: Assuming that the shot pilot made it to the hospital, not a single person — passengers, crew, Team Machine, or assassins — is killed in this episode.
- Expy / Ripped from the Headlines: that "online drug market" that only took payment in Bitcoins sounds awfully familiar*.
- He's Back: In Italy, Reese decides to get himself fitted for a new suit, signalling his willingness to stop grieving and get back to work at Team Machine.
- Improvised Weapon: Since the fight scenes take place on a plane, where obvious weapons like knives and guns would not be easy to bring in or get, Reese and the assassins end up having some creative moments. Reese pulls off some brutal ones like trying to pin a man's hand to a wall using a wine corkscrew and burning another with a makeshift flamethrower.
- Mythology Gag: Back in season one, Reese mentioned that the CIA was using the War on Drugs to fund their black operations. Now it appears that Northern Lights is doing the same.
- Pet the Dog: When Shaw meets up with Hersh, he asks how her new employer is treating her. His tone makes it clear he's honestly concerned about her well-being, despite having once tried to kill her.
- Resignations Not Accepted: Finch may have accepted Reese's resignation, but the Machine didn't.