Recap: Leverage S 01 E 02 The Homecoming Job
Break a law, everyone’s done that. My mama's done that, but steal a law…oh, [Parker's] gonna be a legend, baby!
A soldier, Robert Perry, is taping a message for home when someone opens fire. At a hospital, the Perry tells Nate that it was private contractors from a company called Castleman that shot him and now the company won’t pay for his rehab, since the official story is that it was insurgents.Nate calls Hardison and tells him to call the team. He brings them to the offices of Leverage Consulting and Associates their new cover.Nate shows them Perry’s video and Eliot confirms that it was the contractors, and Nate sets them after the documentation needed to keep a big lie going.While Parker and Hardison break into Castleman’s office, Sophie mingles with Castleman CEO Charles Dufort and his contact in Congress at a social gathering, presenting herself as a representative from an overseas company. They were discussing Appropriations Bill 718, something Dufort has a keen interest in. Nate distracts him while Sophie lifts the security card from his wallet.With that Hardison is able to get into Dufort’s computer, while Parker needs a pass phrase in his voice to get into his safe. Eliot tricks him into saying the syllables she needs with a couple of exceptions…’f’, ‘u’, and ‘kah’.
- Dufort: This is shrimp you stupid fu-Parker: Oh, there they are! Really loud too.
Tropes stolen in this job:
- Adorkable: Corporal Perry is this, as well as The Woobie. His doctor even noogies him in the ending because he wants to "keep half".
- Awesome by Analysis: Eliot finds out the two doctors are hitmen by looking at the shoes they wear.
- Bad Bad Acting: Sophie's doing it again at an audition...for a soap commercial.
- Bestiality Is Depraved: Perry's friend jokes that Perry cheated on his fiancee with a camel. A drunk, slutty camel.
- Brick Joke: "I bought a plant."
- Caught on Tape:
- Which is what caused the mercs to go trigger-happy on Perry's platoon.
- Dufort and the Congressman are caught on their own security webcam talking about the container of money.
- Cool Car: Nate treats himself to a new electric car before financing the Leverage Inc. headquarters and giving the rest of his take from The Nigerian Job away. The team teases him about it, until they find it's a very sleek, gorgeous Tesla racer.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: The Villain of the Week, with his pet Congressman.
- Corrupt Politician: Congressman Jenkins.
- Curse Cut Short: The last few sounds Parker needs to fake a pass phrase.
- Cutting the Knot: As Hardison starts planning a hack of a webcam, Eliot just hits it with a rock.Hardeson: Oh, I'm sorry, it was too far away for you to punch, must be really frustrating for you.
- Driven to Suicide: Castleman intends to make it look like Perry killed himself.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: When Elliot has a gun pointed at him in the beginning and his phone rings, he gets the gunman distracted for a second by claiming it isn't him and asking if the guy's mom has his number. The gunman hesitates and Elliot takes him out in a few swift hits.
- Even Evil Has Standards: After hearing Dufort talking about buying a congressman, Hardison comments, "I'm a professional criminal and I think that's disturbing."
- Failed a Spot Check: When Parker blows open the container, she doesn't blow up the one with the money, but the one next to it. The guards, and later Dufort, only notice the closeness to where the money container is and assume the worst.
- Forged Message: The hitmen after Perry had a suicide note to make it look like he'd killed himself.
- Good Feels Good: Team Leverage realizes this in the aftermath of the job, when they present the injured reservists and their doctor with the money the hospital needs to pay for their rehabilitation.
- Gravity Is a Harsh Mistress: It makes Hardison nervous about jumping off the side of a building with Parker.
- Hawaiian-Shirted Tourist: Nate's and Sophie's disguise to distract the mercs complete with Awful Wedded Life.
- He Knows Too Much: Why Castleman tries to make a hit on Perry.
- Hidden Depths: This is the first time Hardison shows that despite being the Black and Nerdy Hollywood Hacker, he is also a very accomplished artist. It won't be the last.
- Ignore the Fan Service: Sophie is in a very nice dress for the fundraiser, capturing her body well. When she gently brings up the shooting of the soldiers, Congressman Jenkins does this when he denies any knowledge of it, looking her right in the eyes instead. Sophie explains when she is dressed like that and the guy isn't checking her out when he answers a question, it is most certainly because he is lying.
- Imposter Forgot One Detail: Eliot IDs the hitmen because they're wearing the wrong kind of shoes.
- A Macguffin Full Of Money: The shipping container full of the stolen cash.
- Oh Crap!: As Jenkins puts it when the reporters hear the recording of Dufort and the congressman.
- Offscreen Breakup: Perry's fiancee leaves him, he's cool with it now.
- Precision F-Strike: Of minor plot significance. Parker needs Dufort to say the sounds "eff" "uh" and "kuh." Say those together and one gets that special word.
- Private Military Contractors: Castleman.
- Screw the Money, I Have Rules!: Nate spends a little of his astronominal take from the Nigerian Job on a Cool Car and on buying and furnishing Leverage Inc. Headquarters. He gives all the rest to a children's hospital, implied to be the same one where Sam died.
- Vehicle Vanish: Sophie and Nate's way of escape. They leave their luggage, though.