Recap: Kim Possible S 1 E 9 Attack Of The Killer Bebes
Ron needs a extra curricular activity for his college resume, and chooses cheerleading, much to Kim's displeasure. However, she finds he's created a mascot character, the Middleton Mad Dog, and is torn between letting him try out or supporting the cheer squad, who thinks the idea is stupid. Despite a story from her dad about Drew Lipsky, an old college friend of his that dropped out after he was laughed at, Kim decides to side with the squad, straining her friendship with Ron in the process.Meanwhile, one of Mr. Possible's old friends, Dr. Bob Chen, has been mysteriously abducted. Kim is called on to help his partner, Professor Ramesh, but due to her and Ron's fight, he arrives late and she is easily overpowered by a trio of robots known as "Bebes", who abduct the professor. Finding out that Kim's dad is their next target (from a picture found at the scene) Ron disguises himself as Mr. Possible and allows himself to be captured, learning the Bebes were created by Drakken, who is in fact, the aforementioned Drew Lipsky out for revenge on his college pals.Learning what happened from her dad, Kim and he travel to the Middleton Motor Lodge and learn the truth of Drakken's origin. Meanwhile, the Bebes, realizing Drakken isn't perfect, turn against him; Kim proves unable to defeat them until Mr. Possible has Wade send a sonic signal through the Kimmunicator, disrupting their Hive Mind, allowing Kim to destroy them and capture Drakken. Later, after Kim overhears her dad and friends acknowledging that their teasing made Drakken into what he is, agrees to let Ron try his Mad Dog routine, which wins over the crowd, much to her surprise.
This episode provides examples of:
- Absentee Actor: This is the one and only Drakken-centered episode where Shego does not appear.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: After Drakken declares that the Bebes are perfect and that their purpose is to obey him, they question why they should obey him if they're perfect and he clearly isn't.
- Ain't No Rule: As Kim notes, there's no rule that says that Ron can't try out for cheer squad.
- Cavemen vs. Astronauts Debate: When Ron mocks Drakken for not realizing the obvious connection between his old schoolmate (Mr.) Dr. Possible and his current nemesis Kim Possible, Drakken gets defensive and starts insisting that "Possible" is actually a common surname. He even goes looking for a phone book to prove his point, which ends up distracting him as Kim arrives.
- Comically Missing the Point:(Ron sees a picture of Mr. Possible in college with the other two scientists who've been abducted)Ron: Oh, this is terrible.Rufus: Uh huh, uh huh, duh.Ron: I mean, can you believe he actually wore his jacket that way, with the sleeves pushed up? Totally 80's.
- Fake Static: After Ron gets upset over Kim blowing off his attempt to become a mascot, he does this as an excuse to not talk to her. Unfortunately, he made the sound as breaks between each word.Kim: Ron, quit being a (extremely long Fake Static) baby!
- Flawed Prototype: Drakken's original Bebes.
- Foreshadowing: Professor Ramesh notes that Drakken should take up cloning, which he does, albeit with not much more success.
- Improvised Weapon: Kim fights the Bebes with a microphone stand at one point, though it doesn't do much good.
- Killer Robot: The Bebes, natch
- Latex Perfection: Ron uses his Movie Makeup Magic Kit to impersonate Kim's dad, causing the Bebes to kidnap him instead.
- Noodle Incident: Kim apparently once stopped a high speed police chase caused by a guy with a broken brake light.
- Reunion Revenge: Dr. Drakken plans to avenge himself on the classmates who laughed at him in college.
- The Reveal: While the audience quickly realized who Drew Lipski was in Mr. Possible's flashback from his voice, the characters didn't make the connection until the final act.
- Robot Girl: Again, the Bebes.
- Start of Darkness: Tasked with recruiting dance dates for his friends, Drew Lipsky instead built primitive fembots. His friends laugh at him (Kim's dad admits that they kept it up for days), embittering him into dropping out of college and eventually becoming the evil mad scientist Dr. Drakken, determined to take over the world and thereby prove that he is not someone to be mocked.
- Super Speed: The Bebes can move too quickly for the eye to see. Fortunately, they can apparently only manage short bursts before stopping.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: When Kim was fretting over Ron wanting to become a cheerleader, her mother tried to calm her by saying he'd wear a different outfit than her. However, Kim doubted that.