This episode provides examples of:
- Ass Kicks You: Shego's final defeat comes when Big Mike sits on her.
- Blazing Inferno Hellfire Sauce: Bueno Nacho's Diablo sauce actually plays a crucial part in the plot - it's how Ron finally deactivates the nano-tick.
- Characterization Marches On: Although not quite there yet, Drakken & Shego are getting close to the personalities they will later be known for.
- Chekhov's Gun: The elastic constricting lipstick that Ron tests out ends up helping Kim take care of Drakken's sharks.
- The Cloud Cuckoolander Was Right: After Vinnie tells him that "cheerleaders don't get zits" Junior correctly suspects the thing on Kim's nose is the nano-tick.
- Detention Episode: The episode involves Kim getting detention for being late to class, which she believes will stain her status on the school's social hierarchy, as cheerleaders don't "do" detention. Her father helps her realize that she isn't above or below anyone else at school, and that she had to do the time because she broke the rules.
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud?: Actually Drakken didn't know he did until Shego points it out to him.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Mr. Barkin's hair is blond in this episode instead of its usual dark brown.
- Excuse Me, Coming Through!: Kim at the beginning of the episode, desperately racing through the halls in a (failed) attempt to make it to class on time.
- Flashback Cut: Another to Ron's time at Camp Wannaweep this time showing his problems with the camp bug collection.
- Foreshadowing: Ron appeared to be very interested and was busy listening to Drakken gloating about his scheme while they retrieve the tick disk. Fast forward to Bad Boy, where Ron's Superpowered Evil Side is unleashed.
- Hello, Nurse!: Ron's initial reaction to Shego.Wade: OK. Look. I took that freeze-frame from the security camera. Her name is Shego. She is wanted in eleven countries.
Ron: Make that twelve. Grrrrr.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Drakken falls prey to his own nano-tick.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Actually lampshaded.Vinnie: Cheerleader's nose is gonna blow!Junior: That's weak.
- Late for School: The episode opens with Kim desperately racing to print out a report and get to class on time. She doesn't quite make it and gets detention for being late.
- Noodle Incident: How Kim helped Gustavo with the flood in his country; it was apparently just like swim class...minus the piranha.
- Obligatory Joke: Lampshaded when Dr. Drakken gets his cut short:Drakken: Enough chit-chat! My pets are famished! Perhaps you two could stay—
Kim: For lunch?
Drakken: (defensively) I wasn't going to say that!
Ron: Oh, dude, you were so — "for lunch".
Drakken: (exasperated) Aargh! Yes! Then — stay for lunch! (dumps them in)
- Oh, Crap!: Drakken, after his computer informs him the nano-tick is gonna blow.
- Panty Shot: It's in the opening sequence too, so you should know when it happens.
- The Reveal/Captain Obvious Reveal: We first see Drakken by flickering firelight, obscuring his blue skin color to be revealed later... except that it's already been seen in "Crush".
- Shark Pool: Drakken has one in his lair, which he, surprisingly has never used again.
- Shout-Out: "Haunted Island? Keep out meddling kids? (scoffs) Please."
- Spinning Clock Hands: Parodied — the clock hands speed up while Kim is in detention until Mr. Barkin hits the clock, mutters that it's broken again, and resets it to indicate that only five minutes have passed.
- Sticky Bomb: The nano-tick.
- This Cannot Be!: Drakken is absolutely shocked when Shego is defeated, apparently for the very first time. Of course, he has plenty of opportunities later to get used to it.