Recap / Justice League Unlimited S 1 E 5 This Little Piggy
"When I'm done with you, Hippolyta won't want you for a daughter, and your pointy eared boyfriend here won't want you for anything."
The enchantress Circe transforms Wonder Woman into a pig as revenge against Diana's mother. Batman and Zatanna work together to return her to normal, while trying to find the escaped "Wonder Pig."
This episode includes examples of:
- The Comically Serious: Batman is, well...Batman. He ends up singing the blues at a club.
- Deal with the Devil: Played with. Batman realizes that only Circe can lift the spell on Diana.
Batman: What would I have to give to make you lift your spell on Diana?
Circe: Well, now you're getting interesting. I want something from you that's very precious. Something you've worked very hard to conceal. Something when gone, you can never regain. Something soul-shattering...
(cut to Batman at a mike)
- Evil Is Hammy: Circe tries to do this. Zatanna doesn't let her.
Insolent trickster! You dare to strike... [hit with a chair]
You dare to strike...[hit with a table]
You dare to strike... [is covered with a tablecloth, yanks it off]
QUIT IT! Oh no
... [slammed by a piano]
- I Gave My Word: Circe gives her word she would leave Hippolyta alone. That meant she could turn Wonder Woman (Hippolyta's daughter) into a pig, as she never promised not to harm her. She plays this straight later when she changes Wonder Woman back after Batman does as she requests (which is simply her idea of fun), despite her being clearly more powerful than Zatanna and Batman.
- It's Not You, It's My Enemies: Part of how Batman explains to Wonder Woman why they can't date. His enemies would try to get to him through her.
- No-Sell: Wonder Woman immediately crushes the head of a stone gargoyle.
- Longer-Than-Life Sentence: In return for her help in finding Circe, Medusa gets 300 years taken off her sentence in Tartarus, moving the projected date of her release up to 4010. She's not exactly thrilled.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: As usual, Batman. He is clearly worried about Wonder Woman, yet remains (or...tries to) his cool, collected self.
- Lighter and Softer: Than some other episodes.
- My Eyes Are Up Here: Provides the page quote.
B'wana Beast: (staring at her legs) B'wana Beast. How you doin'?
Zatanna: My legs are fine...as is the rest of me. (points to her face) Up here.
- Powerful and Helpless: Circe cannot be defeated by Zatanna's magic or Batman's fighting skills, so he decides to negotiate by giving something up instead, and it works.
- Slapstick Knows No Gender: Zatana's assault on Circe is rather cartoonish, especially the part with the piano.