Recap / Justice League Unlimited S 1 E 4 Hawk And Dove
Ares is helping to fuel a civil war in Kaznia by delivering an animated armor forged by Hephaestus that will probably cause untold devastation. Wonder Woman is sent on the mission, teaming up with the superhero siblings Hawk and Dove.
This episode contains examples of:
- Actual Pacifist: Dove, in contrast to his comic portrayal where he leans towards Technical Pacifist.
- Analogy Backfire: Dove claims that aggression can be resolved with education. Hawk's retort? "Then how come some of the best-educated guys in the world work at the Pentagon?".
- Animated Armor: The Annihilator.
- Bar Brawl: Hawk and Dove are introduced in a bar fight with other patrons who took issue with the latter's political views.
- Call-Back: Audrey, who was previously crowned Queen of Kaznia, has requested the League to intervene in the ongoing civil war.
- Fighting for a Homeland: The North Kaznians just want to be left alone and aren't interested in destroying their Southern counterparts. Ares is very displeased to see they use it only to drive out the South Kaznians rather than annihilating them (see Rant-Inducing Slight).
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: Ares thinks humans are good for nothing, but to wage war against each other... And he definitely approves. Diana also rants about how belligerent and hostile humans are, but she gets over it by the end of the episode.
- Jerkass Ball: Wonder Woman is very abrasive and quick to anger in this episode.
- Rant-Inducing Slight: The North Kaznians using Annihilator to defend themselves rather than conquer their enemies sends Ares on a rant that completely gives away his identity:
Nardoc: We won, Mr. Sera. The animals attacked, and we ran them out of town.
Ares: I didn't give you the Annihilator so you could run your enemies out of town, I gave you the Annihilator so you could annihilate them!
Nardoc: Forgive the insult, sir, but you think like a South Kaznian. They want to destroy us all, but my brothers and I only wish to keep our land. Perhaps I could take their camp, but the price would be too great. Shall I win a country but massacre my people?
Ares: Yes, you idiot! I think like a South Kaznian?! Has it even entered your skull that they think like South Kaznians?! And you'd better start thinking that way, too, if you want there to be a Northerner left in this rat-infested dirt heap you call a country! All any of you mortals are good for is to slaughter one another! To fight and fight until the bones of your enemies are strewn across the battlefield, only to rise in the next generation like a well-tended crop! That's what the Annihilator is for! But NOOOOOOOOOOO! You're using it to play tag!
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Hawk and Dove, who are colored according to the philosophies they personify and they coincidentally embody many of the personality traits of this trope as well.
- Hawk has a warlike spirit: he believes that aggression is the only, as well as best, way to settle disputes and this attitude is also reflected in his fighting style, which is more offensive, aggressive and resorting to brute-force.
- Dove is a pacifist: he believes that education is the solution of the majority of conflicts, and its incorporated into his fighting style, which is more defensive, employing Aikido-esque and Judo-esque techniques.
- Sdrawkcab Name: Mr. Sera is Ares' alias as a weapon dealer.
- Sheathe Your Sword: Wonder Woman, Hawk, and Dove face an unstoppable magical robot that feeds on aggression. Dove beats it by... not fighting, or rather by getting analogues of North and South Korea to stop fighting.
- Stealth Pun: Combined with a Mythology Gag. Wonder Woman along with Hawk and Dove getting North and South Korea to stop fighting and try to come up with a peaceful solution. In other words Wonder Woman made a Hawk and Dove stop a war with love.
- Take That!: Another more subtle one towards the Bush administration seen in the Analogy Backfire entry.
- We Will Meet Again: Ares makes this vow after his plot is foiled. This turns out to be the last time he is seen in the show.