Recap / Family Guy S 3 E 19 Stuck Together Torn Apart
January 31, 2002
Peter and Lois work out their jealousy issues with a trial separation—during which their marriage counselor advises them to date other people. Meanwhile, Stewie and Brian are stuck together after Brian tries to stop Stewie from eating industrial-strength glue.
"Stuck Together, Torn Apart" contains examples of:
- Adam Westing: Jennifer Love Hewitt (who's revealed to be the niece of Mort and Muriel Goldman).
- Artistic License – Geography: Stewie lampshades that a 17th century well is an out-of-place convenient plot device. On most shows, it would be, but Family Guy happens to be located in one of the few American states where you can come across a 17th century well!
- Ascended Extra: This is Mort's first major role other than just being Neil's dad.
- Bee Afraid: Lois is briefly the victim of this.
- Berserk Button / Crazy Jealous Guy: In the case of Peter, stay away from Lois (and vice versa) if you know what's good for you. He even punched out his own reflection because Lois thought it was another man (also a sign of Peter's stupidity).
- Butt-Monkey: Cleveland when he meets the police van's arresting robot and gets brutalized and framed for having a gun.
- Chained Heat: The Brian and Stewie plot is a variation, with glue instead of handcuffs or some kind of chain.
- Clock Tampering: While Peter and Lois have a trial separation, and Quagmire leaps at the chance to ask Lois out. As she says she needs some time to think it over, Quagmire smashes open a wall clock, turns the time forward, and asks "How about now?"
- Geeky Turn-On: Jennifer Love Hewitt is attracted to Peter's disgusting ways.
- Is This Thing Still On?: While trying to overhear Lois's conversation with her old boyfriend, Peter turns the police van's audio system up to high, resulting in it hear Quagmire's Inner Monologue Conversation about a woman he had sex with. Upon realizing that the others can hear him (he can even himself), Quagmire tries to block out his thoughts by humming a John Philip Sousa march in his head.
- Mistaken for Pedophile: After pulling them over, a police officer noticed Brian seemingly holding Stewie's hand. Stewie decided to make it worse by lying about how he met Brian on the internet who then offered him candy. Fortunately, Brian managed to clear up the misunderstanding by mentioning the super glue, which the police officer is familiar with as he and his partner are stuck together too.
- Noodle Incident: Apparently, Stewie once wore Lois's wedding dress, during which Brian took pictures, but lied and told Stewie there was no film in the camera.
- Not So Different: Lois can finally understand how Peter can get so jealous at times when Lois drives away Jennifer Love Hewitt in her jealous rage after Lois sees her trying to make out with Peter.
- Oh, Crap!: Stewie and Brian when they find out that the glue doesn't come unstuck, at least until they realize that there's a solvent for said glue, which takes two weeks to deliver and an hour to actually take effect.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Subverted. Peter is at CostMart and gets a free sample, saying that it was quite good. Afterwards, a man identical to Peter wearing a Groucho Marx disguise takes a sample, then another Peter with a thin mustache and oriental haircut (plus a horrible Japanese accent). The employee informs him that he doesn't have to disguise himself to get free samples. Suddenly, Groucho Marx Peter and the actual Peter walk up behind him and ask if they can have another free sample.
- Second Person Attack: The singer on stage who says the next song is for all the ladies out there is punched by Peter, seen from the singer's viewpoint.
- Stalker Shrine: One of Peter's old girlfriends has an entire hallway full of pictures of Peter. She is also wearing the dress that she wore to that prom... and hasn't washed the hand that touched Peter's since then... or flushed the toilet he used, for that matter.
- Take That!:
- When the marriage counselor wants video cameras to be set up so he can see footage of the Griffins' home lives Peter says that it will be just like Big Brother except somebody will be watching.
- Stewie thinks of something that can last an hour: watching Rita Rudner do 5 minutes of stand-up.
- Understatement: Brian says to Lois, "Peter isn't exactly the most 'understanding guy' when it comes to you and other men"—see Berserk Button / Crazy Jealous Guy for what happens.