Recap / Family Guy S 3 E 20 Road To Europe
: Feburary 7th, 2002
Stewie runs away to Great Britain so he can be on a children's show. Meanwhile, Peter and Lois go to KISS-Stock, and Peter is appalled that Lois knows nothing about his favorite band.
Tropes found in this episode include:
- All Germans Are Nazis: Stevie and Brian go on a bus tour of Munich, when the latter notices that their guide book mentions nothing about what happened between 1939 and 1945. This culminates in their tour guide giving a Nazi salute. Do note that today, Munich is vehemently anti-Nazi and has dozens of museums and memorials commemorating victims of the Holocaust.
- Bait-and-Switch, Curse Cut Short, Subverted Rhyme Every Occasion, and Last-Second Word Swap: during Brian and Stewie's song
Brian: Cause you get a kick out of carnage and guts.
Stewie: And you get a kick out of stroking your—
Brian: Whoa-whoa, you can't say that on TV!
Stewie: What, "ego"?
Brian: Never mind.
- Bread Milk Eggs Squick: After Stewie learns the sad truth about Mother Maggie, Brian tries to cheer him up by offering to take him for ice cream or McDonalds, to which Stewie tearfully nods his head no. When Brian offers to let him take a dump in Mother Maggie's shoes, Stewie nods yes and Brian takes his hand, telling him, in a motherly way, "Okay, we're gonna take a dump in Mother Maggie's shoes."
- Call-Back: Much like in "Road to Rhode Island", Stewie attempts to sneak on board a plane. This time, he is successful in sneaking aboard, yet not on the right flight.
- Depraved Kids' Show Host: Pengrove Pig and Mother Maggie have no respect for their jobs; the former looks at porn on set, while the latter calls Stewie a "grotty, little wanker" and kicks him.
- Fan Disillusionment: Once Stewie realizes the truth about "Jolly Farm", he denounces the show (though he would later love and even star in the Americanized version of it).
- Freestate Amsterdam: Brian and Stewie wind up in Amsterdam, wind up in a marijuana bar, and wind up getting high just by breathing the air in the bar.
- Hates the Job, Loves the Limelight: Mother Maggie turns out to be this.
- Like a God to Me: Peter's opinion of Kiss. "You...are...GODS!!!"
- Not So Remote: Brian and Stewie end up in the middle of the Arabian desert and their camel dies. Just as they've cut it open to use as an improvised shelter, Brian notices a Comfort Inn over the next dune.
- Overly Long Gag: Stewie's letter to Brian about running away, which gets sidetracked with talk about a misplaced button.
- Series Fauxnale: If you go in production order, this was the last episode produced for the third season, and, by extent, the show (until the show came back in 2005 and if you don't count "When You Wish Upon a Weinstein," since that was a Banned Episode from season two that aired in season three, but didn't air on FOX or Cartoon Network until news hit that the show was coming back with new episodes).
- Shout-Out: Stewie seeks warmth and shelter by cutting open the camel and sheltering inside it.
- Surrounded by Idiots: The reason why Stewie wants to go to England.