Recap / Family Guy S 2 E 5 Whistle While Your Wife Works
Original air date
: November 12, 2006
After Peter blows off his fingers from some fireworks, Lois steps in to help him out at work (and Peter sexually harasses her because he wants to have sex with her in his office). Meanwhile, Stewie discovers that Brian has a girlfriend...one who's (to put it very mildly
) not very bright.
This episode contains examples of:
- Accidental Misnaming: Brian tells an anecdote about how he accidentally called William Rehnquist "William Rhinequist". Jillian and her friends just stare blankly before going to the ladies' room.
- Bowdlerization: On the FOX and free-TV syndicated version, Stewie's question to Brian about Jillian after she tells Brian about Hitler (not knowing that it's a documentary) was "Are her parents brother and sister?" On Cartoon Network and DVD, the line is "Is she retarded?" The DVD commentary does mention the hypocrisy of allowing references to incest to cover up the reference to mental retardation.
- Common Knowledge: Invoked; when Stewie tests Jillian on the capitol of Rhode Island, she answers "Rhode Island City?".
Stewie: (laughs) It's like she's fucking five!
- Couch Gag / Something Completely Different: The opening sequence begins normally, but when Peter gets to the top of the steps, he trips and falls down the steps, crushing a dancer. He then complains about his swollen foot and Stewie tells the camera man to cut to the episode.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Brian's attempt to break it off with Jillian backfires the second she opens the door for him... in a wet bath towel, which she absent-mindedly removes in front of him.
- Dumb Is Good / Kindhearted Simpleton: Although Jillian's obviously very unintelligent, she's also a genuinely kind and friendly person.
- Girl Posse: Jillian has one. They make her look like a genius by comparison.
- Hypocrite: Lois comes across as one when she makes fun of Brian for going out with Jillian—she seems to ignore the fact that her own significant other is just as stupid as Jillian is (if not stupider).
- Interspecies Romance: Brian, a dog, and Jillian, a human. In fact, when presented the script, Drew Barrymore stopped halfway through to confirm with Seth MacFarlane that her character was not, in fact, another dog.
- If I Had a Nickel: Subverted when Jillian asks Brian what would happen if he had a nickel.
- Literal-Minded: An example of Jillian's air-headedness, when Stewie asks if her apartment is "one bedroom, one bath," she replies "No, it's a whole apartment," clearly puzzled.
- No Periods, Period: Alluded to quite literally by Jillian, who apparently doesn't menstruate any more because she "threw up a lot in high school."
- Overly Long Gag: Peter's elaborate method of hiding his porn from Lois.
- Perfectly Cromulent Word:
Jillian: Well, I just think, for starters, that sometimes the government has things they can't tell us and, truthishly, we should just accept that.
- Seinfeldian Conversation: Quagmire's annoyance that he's the only fan of Wings amongst the four guys.
- The Stoner: When Brian says that he and Jillian talk about The Real World, Stewie points out, "You hate MTV!" Brian casually responds, "Pot helps."
- Take That!: To Mr. 3000, which Jillian is having difficulty starting, implying of course that only an idiot like Jillian would enjoy that movie.