Recap / Death Note Ep 02 Confrontation
In a day at school, Light is called by his teacher to read a sentence and successfully does it. After class is over, Ryuk questions him of how can he take all the boredom of school, but Light tells him not to talk to him in public as people will think he's talking to himself. When two students ask him to hang out with them, Light refuses as he has plans on his own.
Tropes used in this episode:
- All According to Plan: Light says this right before L challenges him.
- Artistic License – Chemistry: Light booby traps his desk in order to hide the Death Note by using an electric current, and gasoline in a plastic bag. In real life however, the gasoline would dissolve the bag as the it is made up of organic compounds and the gasoline contains non polar solvents.
- Badass Boast: L's speech to Light/Kira after Light kills his stand-in. It really deserves to be transcribed in all its glory.
L: I had to test this, just in case, but I—I never thought it would actually happen. Kira...it seems you can kill people without having to be there in person. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't just witnessed it. Listen to me, Kira. If you did, indeed, kill Lind L. Tailor, the man who you just saw die on television, I should tell you that he was an inmate whose execution was scheduled for today. That was not me. [...] The police arrested him in absolute secrecy, so you wouldn't have heard of him on TV or through the internet. It appears not even you have access to information about these types of criminals. But I assure you, L is real. I do exist. Now... try to kill me! [...] Can't you do it? Well, Kira, it seems you can't kill me after all. So there are some people you can't kill. You've given me a useful hint. A dealer to a saver. I'll tell you something that I think you'll find interesting. Although this was announced as a worldwide broadcast, the truth is, we are only broadcasting in the Kanto region of Japan. I had planned to broadcast this message around the world until we found you, but it looks like that won't be necessary. I know now where you are. The police treated your first killing as an unrelated incident, but in actuality, the first of your victims was a suspect in Sinjuku. Of all the criminals that recently died of heart attacks, this one's crime was, by far, the least serious. Furthermore, his crime was only ever reported inside Japan. I used that information to deduce this much: you are in Japan, and your first victim was little more than an experiment, which means you haven't been killing for very long. We decided to broadcast in Kanto first because of its large population, and, luckily, we found you. To be completely honest with you, I never expected it would go this well. But, it won't be too long now before I'll be able to sentence you to death. [...] Naturally, I am very interested to know how you're able to commit these murders without being present... but I don't mind waiting a little bit longer. You can answer all of my questions when I catch you. Let's meet again soon, Kira.
- Berserk Button: Not a really good idea to call Light evil.
- Blinding Bangs: L is seen as this before his face is finally shown in episode 6.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: This is how L is introduced. He basically goes on television and tells Kira through his stand-in Lind L. Tailor where he can put his justice. Kira, of course, kills Tailor immediately, thinking that it's L. Then, L keeps on taunting him anyway!
- Disproportionate Retribution: Light kills a man for insulting him and challenging his authority and he writes the name really big in the notebook.
- Establishing Character Moment: L establishes himself as a Badass when he tricks and challenges Kira.
- The Faceless: Watari and L.
- Face Palm: Light does this after L tricks him on live TV, informs him he's narrowed down his location, and promises he'll be sentenced to death.
- The Ghost: L, initially.
- G.I.F.T.: In story with the Kira fansites and the little girl texting "Kira, please kill them all."
...But on the Internet where you can remain anonymous, support for Kira
is growing... Human beings are like that... Though this would probably never come up, suppose we discussed in class whether bad people deserve to die.
'It's just wrong to kill people,' that's what they're bound to say. Of course, that's the appropriate response to give, right? Human beings must always maintain appearances in public, that's just how we are. But this
is how they really feel.
- Great Detective: L.
- Hypocrite: Light explains the G.I.F.T. to Ryuk, telling him that humans are hypocrites by nature.
- L declares that what Kira is doing (killing criminals) is evil and so vows to hunt him down and have him sentenced to death.
- Interpol Special Agent: "We have no choice but to bring in L."
- I Resemble That Remark!: Light is so outraged at L calling him evil that he decides to kill him.
- Kubrick Stare: Light does this after L humiliates him on TV.
- Naïve Newcomer: Matsuda.
- Not So Different: Kira and L.
- Pay Evil unto Evil: Both Kira and L's philosophy.
- Psychopathic Manchild: How Light reacts when Lind L. Tailor calls him out on eliminating criminals by killing them. His response van be summed up like this: "I'm not evil! You're evil for saying that! I'm gonna kill you now because you disagree with me!"
- Serial-Killer Killer: L makes it very clear that even though Kira is only targeting criminals, he's still a Serial Killer and the police are still going to hunt him down and have him executed.
- Strange Minds Think Alike:
Light: I AM...
L: I am...
Both together: JUSTICE!
- Tautological Templar: Light. How dare L call him "evil!" He is good and he will prove it by killing the guy calling him evil.
- Tempting Fate: After killing Lind L. Tailor, Light comments that had he been smarter, things could've gotten very interesting. Then the L symbol appears on the TV...
- Terror Hero: Light sees himself as one. (Type 3)
- Vigilante Man: Light and his in-universe fans see Kira as such.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Kira is already really popular with a lot of people and people are already making him fansites.
- Who's Laughing Now?: After supposedly killing L, Light breaks out into a fit of insane laughter while taunting L if he has anything else to say.
- Worthy Opponent: After Light's initial Villainous Breakdown after L one-ups him, he becomes intrigued with playing against L.
Light: He's going to sentence me to death? Sounds interesting. I accept your challenge, L.
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle: Lind L. Tailor.