Recap / Death Note Ep 03 Dealings
The police officers present their reports regarding the Kira case. Matsuda is one of those to present. Although it's not to give Kira credit, it is stated that crime has been reduced. After the meeting
Meanwhile, Light has helped Sayu in another homework. He asks her if she's ready to do this on her own, and her answer is "yes". As their father is down, he tells her to solve the last problem by herself, but she'll do it after dinner. Ryuk is convinced Light is relaxed. To top it off, he has the advantage. It turns out the Chief investigating Kira is really his father.
After dinner, Light remembers one of the rules in using the Death Note is that when a person's cause of death is written after 40 seconds, it will happen. As a result, while doing his normal everyday routine at school, criminals started to die. Soichiro, alongside L, gets the news of this. While walking to the street, Ryuk asks Light on how to kill L. The reply is that he will let the police get to him. This is because while they're working together in the surface, they're suspicious of each other in the inside.
Tropes used in this episode:
- Cliffhanger: The episode ends with Ryuk making the Deadly Upgrade offer, but at the price of half of Light's lifespan.
- Deadly Upgrade: Ryuk offers to give Light the Shinigami Eye deal, which would allow him to see anyone's name by looking at their face. However, he would have to give up have his lifespan.
- I Was Just Joking: Soichiro says this to Matsuda, who panics about his report on congratulating Kira for getting rid of crime.
- Manipulative Bastard: Once Light learns that Kira is possibly a student based off the time they're being killed at, he writes down criminals' names at specific times so that they would die while he's at school. The police assume that their theory is wrong, but L thinks it's strange that the cycle of criminals dying has changed since that possibility had been brought up.
- Only Sane Man: Kinda an odd case. L is the only one who still holds onto the student theory and thinks it's strange that the rate of criminals dying has changed since the theory had been made. What he does in response is going behind the taskforce's back and investigating some of their family members, including Light.
- Pet the Dog: Light helping his sister with her homework. At least this would be touching, but then he says this is a good way to make him look innocent.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Three police officers working on the Kira case.
- Stalker Without A Crush: Ryuk tells Light that he's being followed by someone, which leads to him making a Deadly Upgrade offer.