Jane joins the track team, leaving Daria so alone that she begins talking to herself. Helen bribes Quinn to hang out with Daria, worried that she's spending so much time alone.
This episode provides examples of:
- Derailing Love Interests: Arguably Evan, near the end.
- Everyone Has Standards: Evan is a sports elitist that takes advantage of his privileges but he, unlike the Fashion Club, hold a more egalitarian view of girls in athletics.
- Fashion Hurts: Quinn tortures herself wearing these tight heels throughout the whole episode because "they make her legs look hot".
- Hypocrite: Daria is fine taking advantage of the "spillover perks" of Jane being a jock, until she takes a freebie on a test that Daria doesn't agree with. She is, thankfully, called on it by Jane herself.
- No Guy Wants an Amazon: The Fashion Club openly sneer at girls signing up for athletics and at girl athletes invoking this trope, Evan remarks that they are quite old-fashioned for girls born in The '80s.
- She's Got Legs: The effect Quinn meant to go for in wearing those painful shoes, she then takes them off realizing her legs look good already.
- Thinking Out Loud: Without Jane as a sounding board, Daria begins to do this a lot. She's clearly not aware of it, anyway, as she voices thoughts that she wouldn't want those around her to hear.
- Where Did We Go Wrong?: What Helen was thinking after she made a feminist inspired speech praising Daria for her principles and then Quinn shows up wearing painful shoes that accentuate her legs.