Daria and Jodie are invited to an open house at Grove Hills, a private school for exemplary students. Meanwhile, Quinn stays with her Fashion Club friends — but ends up getting thrown out of all three houses and stays with Jane.
This episode provides examples of:
- Education Mama: All of the parents at Grove Hills.
- Everything Is Racist: Jodie's Mother has this reaction when Helen gently approaches her about how it must be difficult for Jodie to "fit in" at Lawndale High (the Landon's are African American) and again when Helen defends people on welfare to the conservative Mr. Landon.
- Hello, Nurse!: Quinn gets this sort of reaction from Sandi's younger brothers. When Sandi has the tv tuned on to Fashion Vision and her brothers change it, ensuing a fight, as soon as Quinn comes back and asks what happened to Fashion Vision, the boys turn it back on to that channel.
- I Coulda Been a Contender!: Ms. Landon reacts angrily when Helen states it took a lot of guts to walk away from her position as CEO when Jodie's younger brother was born.
- I Just Want to Be You: Quinn gets kicked out of all her friends' houses, except for Stacy. Quinn flees when Stacy dresses exactly like her and suggests they dye their hair the same color.
- Not So Different: At first, Daria and Jodie find the Grove Hills kids refreshing in their intellectualism. Then they find out that they're still mean-spirited teenagers. They both decide to stay at Lawndale High because they don't need the same environment plus the added pressure to succeed.
- Precocious Crush: Sandi's preteen brothers have a crush on the teenage Quinn.