While attending a Mystik Spiral performance with Jane, Daria suddenly develops a bright red skin rash and decides to make a hasty exit to avoid being seen in this state by Jane and Trent. The next day Daria seems to be back to normal, but when the rash reappears Daria is sent to the hospital.Meanwhile, Jake starts to worry that Daria might be on drugs.
This episode provides examples of:
- Allergic to Love: Daria's rash turns out to be from stress. Mainly induced when she's around Trent.
- Body Horror: Subverted. The rash covering Daria's skin does look nasty, but she doesn't seem to be in any pain.
- Brain Fever: Daria doesn't want anyone to know about her rash, so Jane invents this as an excuse for her hospitalization.Jane: It's a thing that brains get.
- Cannot Keep a Secret: Brittany ended up blurting to Jodie, Kevin and Mack everything about Daria being at the hospital, cheating on Kevin with "Terry, Jerry or whatever" and doing pacts with both Daria and Jane to keep this a secret.
- Drugs Are Bad: Jake gets scared by an anti-drug news story into thinking Daria's disposition is because she's on drugs. Helen isn't worried at all, citing that the news segment specifically mentioned teenagers who started out as happy and vibrant to which Daria has never been.
- Here We Go Again: The episode ends with the rash returning in seconds the moment Daria sees Trent is taking her and Jane out.
- Hospital Hottie: The doctor who treats Daria at the hospital. Also worth noting is that the guy is competent at his job and empathizes with Daria to the extent that he asks to speak with her privately to give her a break from her family. He even recognizes Jane is a friend because he could tell Daria was happy to see her.
- Instant Illness: This episode's the first and only time where Daria's anxiety over Trent has had any physical side affects.
- Nightmare Sequence: Daria has a dream where the ghost of Mrs. Sullivan escorts her to heaven, only to be told brainy people aren't welcome and she gets sucked into hell.
- Noodle Incident: Whatever happened to Mrs. Sullivan, a woman who once occupied Daria's room at the hospital. She later shows up asking if she left any enema bags behind.
- Pet the Dog: A lot of people show concern for what's happening to Daria. Quinn offers to help because skin care situations go beyond social standing per the Fashion Club bylaws, and later, Brittany, Jodie, Mack, and Kevin show up to see how Daria is once they found out she was in the hospital.
- Running Gag: The mention of Mrs. Sullivan and what happened to Brittany's hair.Brittany: Never mind that now!
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Brittany went to the grunge club with dyed black hair, but the dye messed it up and she spends the rest of the episode with inky gray hair. Whenever someone asks what happened, she just goes "Never mind that now!"
- Your Cheating Heart: Daria runs into Brittany, of all people, at the club Mystik Spiral was playing at because she was out with another guy (Terry or Jerry or whatever his name is) during another fight with Kevin. She asks Daria to keep it a secret in exchange for telling Jane she was leaving (but not about the rash). Brittany later admits she was with another guy to Kevin and says it didn't mean anything, but all Kevin could follow was Brittany admitting Daria was at the hospital.