Daria is paired up with Kevin for a science project, while Kevin's girlfriend, Brittany, is paired with the class pervert, Charles "Upchuck" Ruttheimer III.
This episode provides examples of:
- Ass Pull: In-Universe. Daria manages to turn the mouse being traumatized into a point about negative reinforcement and saves her and Kevin from failing.
- Attention Whore: Quinn tried to seduce Kevin by various methods (miniskirt, sodas, flirting, cake...), but he was so distracted by the football to pay her any attention.
- Blackmail: Upchuck blackmails Brittney into acting like a slave, or he'll show the whole school pictures of her sleeping with the quarterback of a rival highschool.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Brittany gets paranoid that Daria would want to steal Kevin away from her. Ironically, she didn't suspect Quinn's blatant attempts to grab Kevin's attention.
- Does Not Like Men: Ms. Barch goes on a thinly veiled rant about her ex-husband and verbally abuses the male students.
- Double Standard: Subverted with Ms. Barch. She failed Upchuck and Brittany when she realized that he did all the work and refused to listen to his presentation. Then Daria presents the project, where obviously Daria did all of it while Kevin was just a tagalong, and she passed both (although Kevin only got a 6).
- Enfant Terrible: Brittany stole Daria and Kevin's mouse and gave it to her brother to guard it. Then...Daria: let me guess. You have a little brother.
Brittany: Yes. Why you ask?
(The mouse immediately cowers in the corner of the maze)
- Sarcasm-Blind: After Brittany tells Jodie her worries, she replies "Who would want to steal YOUR Kevin away?". Brittany takes it as a compliment instead.
- Woman Scorned: Ms. Bach's ugly divorce made her a bitter woman who would torment all her male students. Daria also uses this as argument of her "Negative stimulus theory" to appeal to her.